Thread: Bans?

Bans?

Namaste,

As a new Hindu, I am still seeking more knowledge. Is there certain bans on certain foods? Anything I should not eat? I am aware many people here are vegetarians? Much appreciated on any help here.

Re: Bans?

Vannakkam: Because Hinduism has a billion adherents and is a vast multi-faith complex, there are no overall bans like you might find in other religions. We have our wise elders, our scriptures, etc. to guide us on an individual level. So people either follow what their community does, or they read up on it and use their own inherent wisdom to decide how to eat. Still there would be very few Hindus who eat beef. Some communities even do that though. Hope this helps some.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Live to eat ? Or eat to live? A good place to begin.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan ji

Assuming I am not derailing/hijacking the OP, I would like to ask you whether we have the right to Kill a living being to satisfy our apatite?

I agree even plants has life. Even they will feel the pain when they are cut or uprooted. But we can't live without food atleast I can't.

So what's the solution? If I go by your post, in a place like Antarctica where vegetation is practically not possible we are forced to live on fish or marine food. But would that be fine just because Government (s) want to study on the causes and subsequent effects of depleting glaciers
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by RebornHindu View Post
    Namaste,

As a new Hindu, I am still seeking more knowledge. Is there certain bans on certain foods? Anything I should not eat? I am aware many people here are vegetarians? Much appreciated on any help here.
    Hare KrushNa, as per BhagwadGita, generally sattvika foods are preferred and the tamasika and raajasa foods are avoided. It is said that at the time of death, what guNa/quality is more active, the next birth will be based on that. So high importance is given to food intake as it has effect on manas or mind. Non-veg foods are all to be avoided and onion+garlic also needs to be avoided strictly.

Thread Information