Thread: Ganga Water for Puja

Ganga Water for Puja

Namaste my friends,

I have a question as I am new to Hinduism. I live in America, so Ganga Water is not easily accessible to me and there are no Indian stores around my area. I would dislike having to order Ganga Water everytime from a online source, so is there any alternative? Perhaps a way to ask Lord Vishnu to bless water that can be used to home Puja?
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 26 February 2016 at 06:24 PM.

Re: Ganga Water for Puja

Vannakkam, and welcome to this forum.

As far as IO know, most Hindus do not use Ganga water for every puja, just for very special occasions. I do a daily abhishekham at home, and never use it. However, I do invoke the sacred rivers with Sanskrit. That probably covers it.

This site http://infiniteautomata.blogspot.ca/...1_archive.html gives the mantram I use.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 26 February 2016 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks very much for the reply and I shall check this out!

Namaste my friend,

Eastern Mind has correctly pointed out that even Hindus in India do not always use Ganga water for all pujas. I have personally never even visited the banks of the Ganga my entire life though I do plan to do that someday. That said, one of the key things about Hindu practices that I personally love is simply the flexibility that they give you in expressing your spirituality. Some of the rules may be strict but at the end of the day Hinduism as a religion identifies God in everything around you.

In my personal experience at home, we just use normal clean water at home for most pujas. On special occasions we use milk (milk also serves as a replacement for Ganga water which may be required for special rituals). I believe that if obtaining Ganga water is really inconvenient or costly, you can just replace it with milk. While you and I might be blessed enough to be able to afford ordering it from far off, a poor man might not be able to do the same. And yet, in Gods eyes he, I and you are the same. At the end of the day, it is righteous action and a clean heart that pleases God. Rituals are just a way to ensure that we keep reminding ourselves to stay on the path to the supreme being.

Thread Information