Thread: Pancha Bhoota/Zodiac Sign Mapping!!!

Pancha Bhoota/Zodiac Sign Mapping!!!

Hari Om,

As per our Sastras Pancha Bhootas are as follows.

1. Aakaasa (Space/Ether) - Jupiter
    2. Vaayu (Wind) - Saturn
    3. Agni (Fire) - Mars
    4. Jal (Water) - Venus
    5. Prithvi(Earth) - Mercury

Interestingly 12 signs in astrology are mapped only to 4 of the above as per common understanding.

1. Mesha (Aries), Simha (Leo), Dhanur (Sagittarius) are Agni/Fire signs.
    2. Rishab(Taurus), Kanya(Virgo), Makar(Capricorn) are Prithvi/Earthly signs.
    3. Mithuna(Gemini), Tula(Libra), Kumbh (Aquarius) are Vaayu/Windy signs.
    4. Karka(Cancer), Vrischik(Scorpio) & Meena(Pisces) are Jal/Watery signs.

Question, Why is Aakaasa/Space not mapped to any of the signs? Is it intentional or a hidden secret?

As far as I know Aakasa Thatva represented by Jupiter is treated as superior among Pancha Bhootas but it’s pretty surprising that it’s not mapped to any of the signs?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Om Tat Sat!

Krishna
    Last edited by KrishnaTVM; 15 March 2016 at 06:13 PM.

Re: Pancha Bhoota/Zodiac Sign Mapping!!!

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

You have asked a very good question...there is a long and short answer ; Let's do a little of both.

Short answer
    ākāśa - that which allows room for things to exist. It is considered space, pure space. Nothing can exist without proper room for it to occur in.
    So, within jyotish, ākāśa is the foundation for all 12 houses; they cannot exist without space for them to exist in… if it was contained
    to one or two houses it would not be unbounded space...see the point?

A longer answer
    There are 3 types of ākāśa :
    • space we ~see~ and is part of the pañcabhūta-s i.e. the 5 elements space, fire, water, air and earth and this is called bhūtākāśa. People mainly say ākāśa but are inferring bhūtākāśa
    • cidākāśa - the space of consciousness
    • cittākāśa - the space of mind

Some look at this word like this: ā+kāśa . The a is viewed as 'not' + kāśa is becoming visible , appearance
    So ā+kāśa is not visible. Which aligns nicely with space.

Yet this is not so intriguing to me as long ā being a noun for śiva, and kāśa defined as man. It is śiva (ā) which provides the room
    for man (kāśa) to exists. Said another way , it is the Boundless (śiva) which provides the bound (kāśa) to exist.

Yet we can look at it this way too; ākā - is to be pleased with but pleased with what ? with 'a' , once again another name of śiva.
    Now we have the Boundless ( a) that is pleased (ākā )

Ākāśa allows all things to exist… śiva is rooted in śī , ‘in whom all things lie’, so the alignment from my vantage point is perfect.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 March 2016 at 09:57 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

You have given an interesting meaning of the word Akasa.In connection with this subject,our scriptures describe Lord Shiva as Vyomakeshin.Could you elaborate more on Akasha,Vyoman and Antariksha(are these 3 same/distinct?) and also the difference between Chidakasa and Chittakasa(& Bhutakasa)?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

Thanks for your response. Would you mind adding some explanation on citta @ cida akasas.
    Coming back to my original question do we refer any sign for akasa for calculation purposes?

Om Tat Sat

Krishna

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namaste

• ākāśa - free or open space;we all call this sky at times.
    • avakāśa is to make room, and that is what ākāśa does, it makes room for things to exist.
    • space, śūnya , or void; this is not too far away from ākāśa yet some see this as different ( finer points pending)
    • Yet another name for 'sky'is viha and nabha.
    • There are more names like vyoman which is heaven , sky, atmosphere and also suma. Suma is sky but mostly attributed to moon.

Vyomakeśin was mentioned by Ram11.. the term is defined as 'sky-haired' - clearly suggesting that the infinite space ( never-ending)
    is the keśa or hair on śiva-s head. Meaning any and all of śiva is unbounded, limitless

I mentioned :
    • cidākāśa - the space of consciousness
    • cittākāśa - the space of mind

this then takes us out of the jyotish folder realm... there are posts on these matters within HDF of which are not at my fingertips.

Regarding
    ākāśa within 12 houses: my humble opinion ... look then to what bṛhaspati ( some write vbṛhaspati) another name for guru or jupiter, rules.
    He is about expansion... expansion can only occur if there is space. The pickle is if you are concerned with constrained space ( a room, containers, the body which too is contained space, parks and forests i.e. open spaces yet still contained to a place, things of this nature, I believe you will get good results with the
    kāraka-s¹ ( instrumental in bringing about the action; significator ) the 'space' of these things.

Yet what of wide open space , unconstrained space ? I can only think of the graha that has no head, therefore non-constrained, ketu. He co-owns a houses that are not defined as ākāśa tattva. Yet for me not a perfect fit.
    The issue here ( for me) is jyotish deals with beginnings and endings.... even if they are eons in length, or the minute-ness of a trillionth of a moment.
    Jyotish operates and gives good results within boundries;
    ākāśa by definition is unbounded, hence the pickle I mention.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. kāraka-s , an old HDF post http://hindudharmaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1404.html

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Yajavan Ji,

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen some astorlogers treating Makar/Capricon represeting Space/Akash.

Let me know if you have any idea around this.

Thanks
    Krishna

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Yajavan Ji,

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen some astorlogers treating Makar/Capricon representing Space/Akash.

Thanks
    Krishna

I myself do not not see this ... Capricorn is considered an ~earth~ sign. It is owned by śanaiscara (saturn). He in and of himself owns vāyu (air). Vāyu
    is closest to ākāśa then the other tattva-s, yet it is not ākāśa ; ākāśa allows or provides the 'space' for air to exist in.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 24 March 2016 at 10:38 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Krishna

Akasha is the repository of the Indwelling Paramatma͵ while the 12 signs relate to parricular body parts and body functions. The Atma is untouched by any of these.

Divye Brahmapure hyesha
    vyomanyaatma pratishtithah (Mundaka upanishath 2:2:7)

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Yajavan Ji,

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen some astorlogers treating Makar/Capricon represeting Space/Akash.

Thanks
    Krishna
    Is this originating in the tropical astro-ideology since in the *universal* template (similar to kaalpurusha symbology) Capricorn is where M.C. (highest point in sky or Medium Coeli) rests? In that case, in the individual charts, why not consider the 10th house sign as the functional and specific (to individual) sky (romantically, the personal sky)? :-)

Just wondering aloud...? No intentions to upset any personal beliefs, biases and dogmas (scriptural or otherwise) :-(

The spiritual realm is possibly a formless dimension which some individuals insist on conceptualizing through the physical, anthropomorphic view of the universe. Some even insist that FEAW deal with the eadily-commonly realizable realm, whereas akasha-ether (used as convenient labels) belongs to higher and less readily-tangible dimensions of reality-existence.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Thread Information