Thread: Explanation of this Sanskrit line?

Explanation of this Sanskrit line?

Namaste,

मायया शक्तिरूपेण पृथग्भावम् उपेयुषे
    māyayā śaktirūpeṇa pṛthagbhāvam upeyuṣe

The translation given is:"You who have assumed separate forms in the nature of Saktis through Maya!"

The highlighted part of the translation is not clear.Could members explain shloka line?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Explanation of this Sanskrit line?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste,

The translation given is:"You who have assumed separate forms in the nature of Saktis through Maya!"

The highlighted part of the translation is not clear.Could members explain shloka line?
    From my vantage point, the answer is ' it all depends'. Now why would I suggest that? It depends on what view ( darsana) a person is talking from,
    hence from what school or āgama did this verse come from ? It influences how this śakti is viewed.

Example
    In kaśmir śaivism it operates on the notion of the trika ( 3 fold) system. We know this as śiva , śakti and nara. These are composed of the 3 energies of Śiva-Bhairava i.e.
    · parā śakti - considered Supreme energy (śakti)
    · parāparā śakti - considered medium śakti
    · aparā śakti - lower śakti
    Within these 3 energies the whole universe and every action ( worldly, mental, physical, spiritual, etc) exists or are fueled within these 3 śakti-s.

This wonderful knowledge is found in the āgama-s. The āgama-s are made up of the following:
    · Bhairava śāstra-s - 64 in number; these are considered non-dual some call monistic; parā
    · Rūdra śāstra-s - 18 in number; these are considered dual-non-dual or mono-dualistic ; parāparā
    · Śiva śāstra-s - 10 in number; these are considered dualistic; aparā
    You can see they total 92 śāstra-s that make up the āgama-s , yet some say there are 96.

IMHO the best way to know parā, parāparā & aparā is through the categories of śāstra-s mentioned above & that are available today ( not always easy to get the books
    with a translation and commentary).

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Ram,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post

This sloka is part of a stuti in praise of Lord Shiva in His non-dual aspect. Literally the meaning as I see it would be :

MAyayA ==> With the help of MAyA
    ShaktirUpeNa ===> In the form of power (Shakti)
    PrthagbhAvam ==> Prthak (==various/many different) + bhAvam (forms consisting of both living and non-living beings)
    Upeushe ==> O' who has assumed

So, my translation would be like this :

O' who has assumed multifarious forms of various entities (in this universe) in the form of power (within those entities)

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

From my vantage point, the answer is ' it all depends'. Now why would I suggest that? It depends on what view ( darsana) a person is talking from,
    hence from what school or āgama did this verse come from ? It influences how this śakti is viewed.

Namaste Yajvan Ji,
    Actually this verse is not from the Agamas,it is from Sri Arunachala Kshetra Purana(1.3.25).I’m not sure which school of philosophy it belongs to,so as you said it may be interpreted differently.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Ram,

This sloka is part of a stuti in praise of Lord Shiva in His non-dual aspect. Literally the meaning as I see it would be :

MAyayA ==> With the help of MAyA
    ShaktirUpeNa ===> In the form of power (Shakti)
    PrthagbhAvam ==> Prthak (==various/many different) + bhAvam (forms consisting of both living and non-living beings)
    Upeushe ==> O' who has assumed

So, my translation would be like this :

O' who has assumed multifarious forms of various entities (in this universe) in the form of power (within those entities)

OM

Namaste Devotee Ji,

Thanks a lot.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information