Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Donald

The Donald

Namaste,

Whether you like him or hate him, this is the best written narrative that I found on the rise to prominence of Donald Trump. I hope the Canadians are ready for an influx of immigrants from the south of their border, should 'The Donald' become our next president.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/16/politi...rty/index.html

Pranam.

Re: The Donald

Vannakkam B, et al:

I know your idea of moving to Canada is in jest, but the idea is tossed around so often these days that some people have begun to figure it is an easy deal. Well, it's definitely not. We are a separate country, not another state, and getting into Canada without a lot of money is difficult at best. I'm quite sure that US citizens won't qualify under our refugee act either. I'm amazed some days how people just say, 'Well, I'm moving to Canada,' as if it were like driving to Texas.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Yes, it was all in jest, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    We are a separate country, not another state
    'The Donald' will change all that.

Pranam.

Namaste,

For those in India interested in American politics, specifically the Presidential election process, I will make few posts to detail how we got to where we are today for this Presidential election cycle.

Many people in the middle class have not seen any real increase (after adjusting for inflation) in their salaries and wealth in the past 10 years or so. Besides these people are fed up with both Democratic and Republican political leaders for all the bickering and not doing anything for the common man (aam aadmi). Their frustration came out in the form of supporting a candidate, no matter how incompetent he is, from outside the normal political organizations. Then there are people who consider Christian Caucasian values to be heritage of the founding fathers and want to maintain that at all costs. The low class people are called 'white trash'. They like the stinging, in your face type of banter that Trump indulges in and consider him to be their deity. The religious right wants to ban all abortions. In one of the interviews, Trump suggested that he would consider some punishment for women who had abortions even if the pregnancy was the result of a rape. Then we have the gun lovers who don't want any restrictions on buying firearms. Another faction believes in 'White Supremacy' and Trump has not disavowed them. The simple minded, gullible people have bought into his claim, 'I will be the biggest job creator that this country has ever seen'. Republicans think of global warming as a hoax; so the coal miners whose jobs are threatened by switching to cleaner fuels like Trump as he has promised to protect their jobs. He has created an atmosphere of fear and promised to stand up to radical Islam and decimate ISIS. The die hard Republican voters think that they have to vote for the Republican nominee, even if that mule train is being pulled by a jackass. All these groups consisting of the disenchanted, the fearful, the utra-religious christians, the gun lovers, the die hard Republicans etc. have banded together and decided to support this new messiah who did not rise through the ranks of traditional political system and has promised to deliver them what they need. Trump's candidacy has been fueled by these losers, but they constitute only about 35 to 40% of the voters.

Some more in the next post.

Pranam.

Namaste,

As most would know, the party nominee is not selected by the party but has to go through the primary election process to get there. Initially about 20 politicians, a brain surgeon and Trump threw their names into the hat for nomination as the republican candidates for presidency. But only about a dozen were allowed to take part in the debates as others did not have much of a following. Trump was mean and merciless in name calling and bullying others in the debates to bring them down. There was no civility on the stage as he tore into each one of them. One of them, senator Rubio, dared to get even by stating in one of his campaign speeches that Trump had small hands, meaning he had a small penis. In the very next debate, with all 11-12 contestants on the stage and on national TV, Trump said, 'Look at my hands, they are big, and Rubio, I assure you that there is no problem down there'. So, we hit a new low in Presidential politics when Trump's penis size became the object of discussion in a nationally televised Republican debate. He floated the idea that another challenger could not become the President as he was born outside of US (in Canada) and only his mother was an American, the father being of Cuban heritage. Similarly, he threw personal attacks on whoever he thought was strong enough to challenge him. One by one all the dominoes fell by the wayside and Trump became the nominee. It was a sad day. Many die hard Republican politicians got sucked into this vortex of lunacy and decided to support him. We thought that eight years back the selection of Sarah Palin, a bimbo, as the vice-presidential candidate was the low point of politics but Trump sank to new lows. Lately, much evidence, some of it his own utterances about his sexual escapades, has come to light and brought his poll numbers down. Many sane prominent Republicans have backed away from supporting their party's nominee but some are still sticking with him. Many are tempted by the thought that if he becomes the president, they will get a cabinet position for supporting him. So, the self interests have pushed them into selling out their souls to the devil. It is against this backdrop that he finds himself floundering and losing support even among people who have worshiped him so far.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

We thought that eight years back the selection of Sarah Palin, a bimbo, as the vice-presidential candidate was the low point of politics but Trump sank to new lows.

Pranam.

Namaste Believer,

Thanks for sharing.

I think, SP was 100% better than the present GOP nominee.

A month ago was watching an old interview of ex foreign affairs minister of Pakistan, contradictory to the general notion, she had the right perspective. I haven't come across a leader from Pakistan in the recent past who had the guts to call a spade as spade, leave alone a woman from that peace lovers paradise. In all probability and in spite of all bad press in my opinion She is way better than the long armed GOP candidate. Turns out, US election is no better than any other 3rd world country's election.

Honestly, in spite all minority appeasing pseudo secular giant Dinosaurs and its breeding haven in Indian politics, Indians had their brain in the right place to stop Maino.

PS: May I ask you to write a overview on structure of American Parliament (US Congress?). I have some idea on the senate and house but never had the motivation to dig further.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

American and Indian mindsets, the personality evaluation criteria, and social complexities are very different in nature. There is no one to one correspondence; so I would not compare as to who is better. Choosing the leader of the free world who could order total annihilation of the human race through nuclear arsenal is very, very different from choosing an Indian PM. So, let us leave it at that.

There are many appointed positions in the federal govt. which are filled by the president and his staff. As could be expected, traditionally these cushy jobs went to caucasians as minorities did not hold a sway over the election results. President Carter was the first president to open the door slightly to accepting the minorities into the govt. President Clinton did a little better. But it was the Obama administration which courted and gave many high profile positions to ethnic minorities such as Chinese, Indians, South Americans and of course African-Americans. When you have enjoyed privileges for generations, equality seems very oppressive. So, many caucasians have been seething over greater representation of minorities in the govt. For these people, Trump coined a slogan, 'We will take America back again'. Then there is the illegal immigration problem. Currently there are an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the US; most of them having come from Mexico and South America through the porous border to the South. Trump has promised to round them up and send them back. Can you imagine how impossible that task would be? But many people have bought into this nationalistic slogan of getting rid of illegal immigrants. Anti-muslim statements are always a crowd-pleaser for Republicans. So, all these nationalistic people who would want to get rid of illegal immigrants and put legal immigrants in their place, love Trump's rhetoric. And there are other undercurrents which make people gravitate towards this orange haired loony. It is worth mentioning that Bobby Jindal has decided to tow the party line and vote for Trump. There is no sanity left.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 20 October 2016 at 03:15 PM.

Namaste Believer,

American and Indian mindsets, the personality evaluation criteria, and social complexities are very different in nature.
    There is no sanity left.
    According to my understanding not much difference exist between Indian and American mindset. Problems faced by the commoner too seem to be same of course in a different magnitude.

These days every one has an opinion on every thing and we end up saying lot more than we intended to, so, nothing is hidden anymore. If we look carefully we can see many similar patterns. Today we all are living in a make a believe world dominated by living in denial syndrome.

Following American election is like trying to understand the mindset of the fans of a mega budgeted movie. Rabri's husband thinks because of her RSS modernized its uniform, and Melania thinks she has two adult boys in her home. There are takers and non takers of these understandings, is in it?

Anirudh...

That says all

When it was his turn, Donald Trump began with, "Nobody has more respect for women than I do. Nobody." Before he could go on to the next sentence, the audience had burst into laughter.
    Anirudh...

This is a mixed bag

Trump

• Thin skinned & very reactive
    • Operates on intuition and gut instinct than knowledge and analysis
    • + foreign policy positions (w.r.t Russia , ISIS )
    • Seem to be a hustler at all levels (business , personal) . Don’t know how that skill will work in managing the money & power projections of a super power

Hillary

• No regard for rules - has a princess mentality
    • Tells the audience (banks , wall street, liberals , gun owners..) what they want to hear
    • Decisions as secretary seem to favor donors (Saudi, Qatari donations & Libya attack; Wikileaks that she is not in favor of dodd-frank): Note this WILL BE bad for India , since at the end of the day Saudis & Qataris WILL support Pakistan's adventures and religious extremism and Clinton is in bed with them.
    • + has the backing of several respected folks like Buffet , Obama (long list)

IMHO , both are bad candidates. I was clear in myvote for Obama , but this time it has been painful.

Thread Information