Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Donald

Re: The Donald

Namaste I/L,

Yes, I am aware of such groups. They are driven mainly by their desire to support anyone who promises to deal with terrorism. Donald was invited to and attended an Indian gathering....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4CbcpLQE4

A visit by Eric Trump to a Hindu Temple in Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCu5G7McS2M

Daughter-in-law Lara Trump celebrates Diwali at a Hindu temple,

https://indianamericancommunitynews....e-in-virginia/

An ad targeting Hindus in US,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5kfC_VCXeQ

Pranam

Namaste,

This is what the Donald's 'Make America Great Again' slogan has mutated into,

The appointment of Jeff Sessions as the Attorney General entails the following,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/opinio...tes/index.html

Pranam.

Vannakkam B: I admit to be feeling fortunate to have watched all this play out from a wee bit of a distance. Although we're close, its not quite the same. One thing in many things that I've noticed this time (as opposed to previous elections) is the level of anger on all sides. Perhaps the caption should read, 'Making America angry again!' . I find it sad, that one cannot merely express an opinion any more without feeling like you're inciting anger in somebody. Sort of goes against the sense of dharma to bu pushing the anger button all the time. There is some wisdom in the adage 'Never discuss religion or politics', I guess.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello

I am quite impressed by what Tom Hanks had to say on this matter:
    “This is the United States of America. We’ll go on. There’s great like-minded people out there who are Americans first and Republicans or Democrats second. I hope the president-elect does such a great job that I vote for his re-election in four years.”

For me ( only) this is the right approach. He is not caught up in the whole thing and has a positive outlook. Let him ( D.Trump) be successful! This is his wish. Why want anything else?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Eight years back Obama was elected as the first non-white president. That translated into whites not having as much power for the first time as they enjoyed since the inception of the country. It meant sharing wealth and privilege. Many high and mid level appointed Govt. positions went to minorities. When privilege is replaced by equality, it is painful. Whites were expected to rise in anger. They did that, but in a politically correct, semi-civil fashion - by blocking every piece of legislation (save a few) that Obama proposed and making his life as miserable as possible. Calling Obama a liar on the floor of the senate/house was one of the most racially charged and disrespectful things to happen to the President and it was forgotten the next day. Not many people wanted to show their ugly side, but they were seething with frustration and anger. Donald appeared on the stage and wanted to give a face to those feelings. He was bold enough to not be politically correct and to openly champion that anger. In every campaign speech he used different dog whistles to attract different packs. Angry white masses looking for such a leader galvanized behind him. That is why he was able to make a claim that he could shoot somebody on the 5th Ave. and nobody would do anything to him. Whites finally found what they had been waiting for. They raced in droves to the ballot box and did all they could to tarnish every other politician in Donald's way and to do all they could to even prevent minorities from voting. The FBI director (a registered Republican) made a crucial move in the days preceding the election (perhaps not by design), which ended up helping Donald. So, now we have a leader who is surrounding himself with all the ultra right wing people and giving them cabinet positions. Hate crimes against blacks, hispanics and muslims have been on the rise, ( http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/20/us/hate-crime-unit-new-york/index.html) but nobody cares. It is all about reclaiming the levers of power by the whites, who think of themselves as the rightful owners and operators of these levers.

As the days pass and the new administration takes charge, things will only get worse for minorities. The President - supported by a republican congress and a republican senate, and the supreme court with a plurality of right leaning justices - will have complete control over all three branches of the Govt. There will be no more of federal inquiries by the Justice dept. into excessive use of police force against minorities or the enforcement of civil liberties. 'Black lives matter' type of protest groups will wither in the wind and the media will come around to start liking him. America will be set back in its thinking and its attitudes by at least 50 years.

Tom Hanks does not represent the collective conscious of America. Everyone wants Donald to succeed as that will bode well for all but the basic presumption that Donald will work for all is flawed. Burying ones head in the sand in the name of 'positive outlook' is an excellent choice if one is a monk and is insulated from making a living and his/her ethnic group rules the rest.

The Sun will rise over America tomorrow, but not over the nation that I have lived in and admired for decades. The Sun will be partially eclipsed and the eclipse will last for at least 4 years.

Respectfully, I understand that others may have polar opposite and equally intensely passionate views, and I welcome them all.

Pranam.

PS: White Supremacist Rally in Washington DC -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEskxSQ5r4
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by Believer; 03 December 2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added PS

Namaste ... one more picture ... Pranam

Source: http://vyasvyas.blogspot.de/
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

I voted for Donald Trump and am very happy about the result. I think US-Indian relations will improve during his presidency, if only because Trump seems eager to abandon the bi-polar, US vs. Russia foreign policy approach that Obama revived and Hillary Clinton sought to perpetuate. It seems like one of the main reasons the US never fully warmed up to India is because it was felt that India didn't fully allign with the West against Russia. That won't be as much of an issue during the Trump administration.

Namaste,

I suspect most Americans want Trump to do "well". Both Tom Hanks and President Obama have wished for Trump to do "well". But that doesn't mean that they will help Trump deport 11 million people, or take away healthcare from 20 million Americans, or cut taxes for the very wealthy, or restrict voting rights.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    Namaste,

... deport 11 million people ... or restrict voting rights.
    Neither of those are something a POTUS can do with the stroke of a pen. His bluster of deporting people is actually up to the INS. It will take a very long time, probably until the end of his presidency, if not beyond, to "round up" illegal immigrants and deport them. Voting is a Constitutional right that cannot be changed on a whim. It would take a Constitutional amendment to do that. The process is long and drawn out, and actually does not involve the president. A bill to amend the Constitution has to pass the House and Senate, then be ratified by 3/4 of the states. The Constitution has been amended only 27 times in the entire history of the US.

The POTUS can initiate changes to healthcare, as we've seen with Obamacare, and changes in taxes, as Nixon, Reagan and Bush the First did. This would not be the first time a POTUS has proposed and signed tax change bills. But again, all of that needs to go through Congress. If Congress works with the president, those things can come to pass. If Congress and the POTUS have an adversarial relationship, it's not likely to pass. What people are missing is that like every other politician does, Trump was spouting and bloviating campaign rhetoric. He told the voters what they wanted to hear. Lies? Of course.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I read the election this way:

Trump won fair & square as per the rules set by the game. He will be my president for the next four years. If his actions don’t agree with my conscience , I will be opposing those within the norms allowed in a democratic civil society and convincing others to vote differently in next election. As of now, I have observed several potential issues with Trump presidency , but I hope I will succeed in not being emotionally impacted by this.

It is wrong to term every Trump supporter as bigoted or racist. I have several colleagues who are well educated , well balanced and articulate. When I discuss the reason behind their vote for Trump, I get varied reasons.

• Abortion as an issue among religious folks
    • Hillary never showing up in Oregon (took for granted) , while Trump showed up in a hopeless place like Oregon
    • Avid hunter who is afraid that his guns will be taken
    • Registered republican , who will always vote republican

Trump's campaign seem to have energized some racist groups - we need to wait and see how he handles that. The republican establishment seems happy with the sweep & are dropping all objections to Trump's divisive campaigning. This exposes the veneer of decency that all these guys were sporting before the election. This capitulation is a bigger worry for me - lest that these guys take it as a que that divisive politics win elections and charge down that path.

Looking at the positive side,

• I was always worried about the influence of foreign money (esp middle eastern monarchy's money) and the impact it may have on a nation like India. With Huma by her side, Pakistan , Qatar and Saudis would have more influence with Hillary. Huma has a track record of being a liaison to these despots.
    • There will be a reset on lobbyists (in my opinion, this was the main reason several billionaires were opposing Trump- they would have opposed Bernie the same way, albeit on different grounds). Hope Trump succeeds in 'draining the swamp'. Lobbying so far has converted US democracy to "Billionaires and corporations writing laws that benefit them financially". The government stopped working for the citizens in most cases.

On the negative side: I swat down those to keep my balance!
    Last edited by Seeker; 23 November 2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: punctuations

Thread Information