Thread: The positive aspects of Hinduism.....?

The positive aspects of Hinduism.....?

Namaste,

In yet another forum, I was reading a thread on why the participants of a quiz liked some specific religion of their choice.

I started wondering what are the points about Hinduism that attract me:

1. Although schools like Dwaitham claim salvation is not for all, the popular Hindu belief (and the one I believe) is that salvation is for one and all - some take more time, that's all.

2. There is no limitation on who can and who cannot practice Hinduism. There is not even a restriction that only Hindu gods should be prayed to. All are welcome, and all are allowed to pray to other gods in addition to Hindu gods.

3. The gentler explanation on living with empathy and good qualities using theories of karma and reincarnation.

4. Lots of saints as living examples...

5. Although there is no "one" central book of conduct, depending on the sect, there are many wonderful guides...

So, those are some of the factors. What factors attract you to Hinduism?

Many thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: The positive aspects of Hinduism.....?

Namaste Viraja ji

There is not even a restriction that only Hindu gods should be prayed to. All are welcome, and all are allowed to pray to other gods in addition to Hindu gods.
    I haven't come across an authentic text that say you can pray to any God. Some may say Shree Krishna has said so in Srimad B.G 7:20. In my understanding they haven't understood B.G

That said let me tell you what I see as positive aspects of Hinduism .

1. Hinduism doesn't nurture proselytization
    2. It cultivates the sense of taking responsibility of our own actions.
    3. It helps us to visualize life beyond birth and death
    4. Rich cultural heritage
    5. Sanskrit
    Anirudh...

Thank you Anirudh ji for the wonderful reply.

Namaste Viraja,

I would like to add that Hinduism answers spiritual questions in a much mature and scientific way than any other religion. I would encompass Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism as offshoots of Hinduism and not recognise them as diferent religions.

a) In Abrahimic religions, there is no answer to why people are born with varying advantages / disadvantages with respect to health, family, intelligence, beauty, wealth etc. The Only one life concept portrays God as a whimsical personality who awards / punishes people at his whims. Hindu Dharma gives us the Karma theory which explains such things logically and scientifically.

b) In Abrahimic religions, you depend upon scripture given by some prophet. And there is big hue and cry over who can be accepted as a Prophet and who cannot be. It is not explained why God sent different prophets at different times with different messages. Moreover, what about life before prophets came ? What happened to those people who were born before prophets and came and gave the message of God ? Then if prophet was so important then why he confined himself (prophet) in a particular region of the vast world ? What happens to whom the message never reached .... they lived and died without the message ? Mind it, the number would be in billions of people.

c) How can we be sure that the man who claimed to be a prophet was not a prophet but a fraud ? Is there any alternative source from where the message can be verified ? No.
    ===> For b) and c) Hindu Dharma tells us that the Knowledge i.e. the Vedas are eternal. You don't need any saint to come and impart you the knowledge. This is always there deep within you. It reveals to any person who attains complete peaceful mind free from mind-waves of desires and all other emotions. You can experience the Truth yourself, if you follow the path.

d) Only Hindu Dharma tells you that what you see is not actually what the reality is. This is endorsed by Modern Physics. The nature of perception of the Reality is dependent on the observer. We know by science that all atoms are hollow and everything is nothing but electromagnetic waves in action and still we perceive this world full of so much variety in it.

e) Only Hindu Dharma tells you that God is not a separate being but there is nothing which is not-God. In fact, Hindu Dharma lets you go even beyond the common concept of God and talks of Nirguna Brahman which cannot be described, perceived or felt.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

I would like to add that Hinduism answers spiritual questions in a much mature and scientific way than any other religion.
    Namaste Devotee ji

If I say Vedas itself is a science, will you disagree with me? If you disagree can you explain how science is different from spirituality?

This is very important in the context of OP because we are brainwashed to believe that Spirituality is different from Science. But I believe Science is a subset of Spirituality.
    Anirudh...

Very nice reply, Devotee ji. Thank you.

Sometime back, I posted a similar question and I remember some members feeling upset over abrahamic religions not getting due recognition. The members believed they were true too and were upset I was negatively discussing about them, in that thread.

Just so that such a thing does not happen again in this thread, I'm obliged to state for the facts you have clearly presented that calling a spade a spade is correct, and discussing the negatives in other religions *factually* does not tantamount to belittling them willfully.

Just thought of adding the above as a caution.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. Thanks so much for the reply.

Vannakkam: I honestly don't know where to start. There is so much in Hinduism I consider incredibly positive, and very very little I see as negative. But then positive/negative is in the nature of duality. Here's a brief start:

- grace of God and Guru
    - a well defined path
    - positive people
    - a mysticism and magic unparalleled (by far) on this planet
    - answers to life's big questions
    - several colourful cultures, including food, clothing, languages, ceremony
    - cultivation of noble character
    - the opportunity to be stewards of the planet
    - the opportunity to feed people

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for a good reply, EM ji.

Thread Information