Thread: Hello, I need some help please?

Post Hello, I need some help please?

Hello my name is Alex, I am currently writing a college research paper on contrasting two specific characteristics in two modern religious faiths. I have chosen love and marriage rituals between a Brahmin Hindu marriage and a typical Christian marriage. So far I have emailed requests to over 30 different Hindu priests in order to have an email interview, but no one is interested. My paper is due in two days and all I need is a Hindu interview to finish off my paper.

Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated! Please feel free to expand or add in details such as Hindu words. This will officially be included in my college research paper. I am just trying to get as much detail as possible so I am able to compare and contrast between a Christian wedding.
    1. What does a Hindu wedding symbolize?

2. Where does a Hindu wedding ceremony take place?

3. What clothes are worn at a Hindu wedding ceremony?

4. How long does a Hindu wedding ceremony last?

5. What can I expect to see at a Hindu wedding ceremony? Are there any special customs or rituals?

6. Is there a certain day of the week or time of day that a Hindu wedding takes place?

7. How many guests usually attend?

8. What is the reception like?

9. What kinds of foods are offered at a wedding reception?

10. Do guests bring gifts?

11. Are any rings exchanged between the bride and groom, or vows, or kisses?

12. Does anyone give the bride away?

13. Do the brides and grooms parents play a role in the wedding ceremony?

14. Is there a honeymoon afterwards?

15. Does the bride take the grooms last name?

16. Is there a required period of courtship before the wedding?

17. Is there a best man or maid of honor in a Hindu wedding?

18. Does the priest receive payment for conducting the wedding?

19. How different is a wedding for a Brahmin Hindu marriage or Vivaah Sanskar?

Yours sincerely

Alex Hayley Riley

Re: Hello, I need some help please?

Namaste

I don't think anyone will answer you. Google and Wikipedia will you some insight.

If you haven't seen this link before, go through this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_wedding

May I know why you have selected this topic as I don't see anything worthy to compare.
    Anirudh...

Re: Hello, I need some help please?

Namaste,

Briefly stated, a Hindu wedding symbolizes mutual love, respect, kindness and togetherness for the lifetimes of the bride and groom. In India a wedding is a union of two families rather than of the bride and groom only, as in the West.

Please drop the word Brahmin from Brahmin Hindu wedding. It is offensive.

The wedding ceremony is conducted at the home of the bride in the presence of the families from both sides and relatives and friends. There is a vegetarian feast before the wedding and the size of the crowd depends on the affluence and family sizes of the two sides. In traditional arranged marriages there is no courtship. The prospective bride and the groom meet in the presence of the family to see if they like each other. Generally the education levels, the relative money making abilities, physical appearances and the family backgrounds of the two are matched for a successful lasting union. Some people tend to look for an auspicious day (as determined by a priest based on classical Hindu astrology) to get married; others just select a convenient date. Hope that helps.

Pranam.

Thread Information