Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiritual name

Spiritual name

Namaste,

Why does a guru give some people a spiritual name while others he does not?

Thank you.

Re: Spiritual name

Vannakkam Anasuya: I've never heard of this, but it may well be that one devotee has gone through more training, while the other hasn't. Authority 'discriminates' that way. The repeat offender gets greater jail time. Not knowing the specifics you're alluding to makes it difficult to respond with any insight.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

In the absence of any data points, no definitive answer can be given. I would assume that a devotee merely associating with a guru and going through the learning/penance/self-surrendering process would not be given a spiritual name. Only when a guru thinks that the devotee has met the requirements and is worthy of becoming a formal initiate, would he put him through the initiation process and give him a spiritual name. Getting a spiritual name signifies ones dedication to and acceptance of the faith, recognizing the guru as his spiritual master, and making a solemn promise to adhere to the principles. So, it is not like a food item that is served to everyone in attendance at the temple or to everyone associated with a guru.

Pranam.

I meant that by using the word "guru" that there had been a formal initiation for all. It seems that only people without Indian birth names are re-named. I don't understand that.

Vannakkam: Not sure I understand yet, but then I don't get much these days.. Personally, I've never understood the concept of a 'spiritual' name'. I realise some Gurus and organisations do practice it. So the person basically has two names ... a spiritual name, and a common name for passport, etc. He's Joe (not to offend anyone named Joe here) all through western life, and then Satya when he goes to temple, does sadhana, is in the Guru's presence, etc. It seems like a double life. (to me) .

In my sampradaya, there are no 'spiritual' names. All of life is spiritual, so we just have one name, a Hindu name that we use ALL the time. But that's just our sampradaya and out take on it. The Guru didn't give this soul a name, I chose it from a list, and the Guru approved of it. Then it was a total change of name, and announcement to the world. Of course nobody forced it on anyone, it was just recommended, and since it made a great deal of sense to me.

Anasuya, this probably clouds your question even further. For that I apologise. Just ignore me if you wish.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Let's understand it correctly. First of all, there are two types of Gurus : One who is true SannyAsi who has realised God/Self and the other may not be a SannyAsi at all. In my opinion, one should seek only the first one type and stay away from others. There are many cheats around who claim to be Guru but they are not even a common SannyAsi. A SannyAsi is one who has left all worldly attachments.

Again there are two types of disciples. One who take Diksha from their Guru and become SannyAsi (leave all attachments with the world) and others like me or EM, who don't. Now, when you take a vow to become a SannyAsi, you have to formally denounce all your attachments with the world. You break all your relations with the world by performing your own death ritual, you take a vow never to lead a married/family life, you take a vow never to get attached to any place of living, you denounce your caste, your every symbol of affiliation with the world. And in that process you denounce your name too which was given by this world to you. Therefore, it becomes a necessity that you are given a new name and that is done by the Guru and you get a spiritual name. After that ceremony, you are known by your new name only as you have already denounced your worldly name.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

This is a *real* sannyAsi and there have been no vows.

Can you please explain what you mean ? If one has become SannyAsi, he has to denounce all attachment with the world and that is the definition of a SannyAsi.

OM

He is a swami. He is qualified to initiate and take on the role as guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Anasuyaa View Post
    He is a swami. He is qualified to initiate and take on the role as guru.
    Yes, "Swami" is a title given to a monk because he is considered "Swamy" or master of his sense organs and mind. However, this title has been taken even by fake Gurus today. You have to see what lineage the Sawmi ji belong to.

Perhaps, you have not understood my post. Are you a SannyAsi ? If you have not taken a vow as a SannyAsi, you don't need any other name as you have not denounced your worldly attachments.

OM

Thread Information