Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiritual name

Re: Spiritual name

Thank you for your thoughts.

Guru gives samskaras to disciple at different levels and different stages. Brahmacharya,sannyasa are different samskaras to name a few.

True guru is a visionary of past,present and future of a disciple and gives samskaras,initiations at different time according to needs of his spiritual upliftment.

Many new samskaras are required to nullify the older samskaras which are hindrance to spiritual progress.

Just for a exp, Ramakrishna paramhans was asked to clean private toilets with his scalp hair to nullify his samskaras of being born brahmin.

To rename a westerner christian has same meaning. to make him more familiar with sanatan way of life,to feel like a servant of god from inside.

So one needn"t ponder too much on the action of a Guru just surrender what he is instructing.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Yes, I know his lineage. Please don't worry. He's the real deal.

So the point is, as far as anyone knows, it's not a common practice. Just wondering. I know a lot of non-Indians who are given or give themselves Indian names, especially after a significant shift in spiritual life. But it only recently dawned on me that Indians keep their birth names. I suspect it's because most people with western names have lost any connection with their meaning. It's nice to associate our names with such things as have profound ideas. My birth name means "pure" in Greek, but when I hear it, I'm not thinking of that. So in some ways, my Indian brother and sisters miss out. I do feel reborn. This is a new leg of my life and to have a new name sets it apart even if it's not as official as taking vows. It feels like Swamiji is acknowledging that. :-)

Beautiful. I am not nor ever was worried. Maharaj is in the Ramakrishna order, actually. I am very blessed to be under his guidance. I was just wondering why. I am a thinker. Always wondering! :-) But that doesn't mean I doubt!

Thank you anirvan!

I have just heard from another American monk in the order. He says all are given Indian names as their involvement shows commitment. They need not have taken vows.

Vannakkam: I'm still confused too. Are you asking about yourself taking on a new name because of initiation into the holy orders? Or are you asking on behalf of someone else? Or is the swami asking regular devotees to take on 'spiritual' names? I don't understand, because it sounds outside of my experience.

When the sannyas vows are taken, there is a ritual burning of old robes/clothing to show that the soul has renounced the world, the ochre robes are given, and a new name to be used in all future endeavors. It signifies a sacred lifetime vow of celibacy, and often more, depending on the order. He becomes a new person.

But then again, as Devotee indicated, these days lots of stuff goes on that isn't within the tradition. We have married 'swamis' neo-sannyasins, colours besides orange, and a massive array of other not so traditional stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I'm still confused too. Are you asking about yourself taking on a new name because of initiation into the holy orders? Or are you asking on behalf of someone else? Or is the swami asking regular devotees to take on 'spiritual' names? I don't understand, because it sounds outside of my experience.

When the sannyas vows are taken, there is a ritual burning of old robes/clothing to show that the soul has renounced the world, the ochre robes are given, and a new name to be used in all future endeavors. It signifies a sacred lifetime vow of celibacy, and often more, depending on the order. He becomes a new person.

But then again, as Devotee indicated, these days lots of stuff goes on that isn't within the tradition. We have married 'swamis' neo-sannyasins, colours besides orange, and a massive array of other not so traditional stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

The answer was given by anirvan's response above. ...and by another monk, who is American, in the order. Please see above. Thank you for your thoughts. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Yes, "Swami" is a title given to a monk because he is considered "Swamy" or master of his sense organs and mind. However, this title has been taken even by fake Gurus today. You have to see what lineage the Sawmi ji belong to.

Perhaps, you have not understood my post. Are you a SannyAsi ? If you have not taken a vow as a SannyAsi, you don't need any other name as you have not denounced your worldly attachments.

OM
    I agree with your logic.

Hello,

Only a guru, one who knows God, may properly advise others about Him

When you are moving blindly through the valley of life, stumbling in darkness, you need the support of a person who has eyes that is guru. So guru knows better about it. If You need to know more about it you can visit this site (http://www.chakrayog.com/). Believe me its a very nice site if you interested to know about Chakra healing therapy and rudraksha ratna

Thread Information