Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISKCON Question

ISKCON Question

Namaste
    I have heard and read that ISKCON is not actually Hinduism and for every article I have heard/read saying it is I get one saying the opposite. I never much paid attention to the banter until I moved to where I am now. There are only two traditional Hindu temples in the area and ISKCON makes three. I started going to it because it is a warm and welcoming place. Not that the other two aren't but this one makes me feel quite at home. My personal Diva is Lord Shiva but the ISKCON philosophy is that he is only a "Demi God" and that the supreme being is Krishna.

Is it considered disloyal or improper to visit this temple on a regular basis?

Aum
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Re: ISKCON Question

Namaste,

It is not an ISKCON question as the title states but a loyalty question.

Your statement, "This one makes me feel quite at home" says it all. Enjoy yourself. All the labels are distractions.

Pranam.

Namaste MS,

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    I have heard and read that ISKCON is not actually Hinduism and for every article I have heard/read saying it is I get one saying the opposite. I never much paid attention to the banter until I moved to where I am now. There are only two traditional Hindu temples in the area and ISKCON makes three. I started going to it because it is a warm and welcoming place. Not that the other two aren't but this one makes me feel quite at home. My personal Diva is Lord Shiva but the ISKCON philosophy is that he is only a "Demi God" and that the supreme being is Krishna.
    Is it considered disloyal or improper to visit this temple on a regular basis?
    In Hindu Dharma, How is God perceived ?

1. God is Omnipotent
    2. God is Omnipresent
    3. God is Infinite
    4. God is utterly peaceful
    5. God is benevolent
    6. God is in the heart of every being
    7. God is pure consciousness
    8. God is in every particle of this universe

Vedas tell us : Ëkam sat, vipraa bahudha vadanti ===> The Truth is One. The worshippers describe Him in many ways.

You cannot describe God. God is not an entity which can be conceived within our mental realm. Taitriya Upanishad tells us : From where the words and mind turn back (that is God). God is Infinite and therefore as soon as you see Him in only one form ===> You are actually making God not-God because He gets limited by the form in which you have tried to perceive Him ===> You violate his nature of being Infinite. As soon as you see Him only in one temple and not in other places, you violate His Omnipresence and God doesn't remain God but becomes Not-God.

That who is Shiv that alone is Vishnu. Let there be no doubt whatsoever. All temples are His, all forms are His, all names are His ===> Sarva Khalu idsam Brahman ==> This all is Brahman (God).

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste
    Thank you both for your very well thought and comforting answers. Answers like these are still another reason why I am so glad I joined this forum.
    Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

It is not an ISKCON question as the title states but a loyalty question.

Your statement, "This one makes me feel quite at home" says it all. Enjoy yourself. All the labels are distractions.

Pranam.
    Namaste
    Believer, I had never thought it about it like that, in that my attending be disloyal to Lord Shiva. Thanks for helping me see what was really the issue! I'm sure Lord Shiva of all knows my situation and will gladly aid me in learning more and more. Who knows, this might be a part of some karmic master plan. Maybe not, but some day all things will be manifested. Till then .....
    Aum

Namaste,

Recently I chanced to read a scholarly article on my language (Tamil) on how Shiva and Vishnu are 2 separate, yet equal forces who act 'together' for the manifestation and functioning of the Universe.

My view on the matter is that, while being at the level of the beginner, if you regularly visit temple of Sri Vishnu (Krishna), then definitely your loyalty will change over the course of time -- to pray more to Vishnu or consider Vishnu significant.

If on the other hand, you think all you want is to communicate with some form of divine, then of course, with whom (Vishnu or Shiva) does not matter.

To me it would matter a lot, which temple I go to (on a regular basis) but as said already, from the scholarly article, I understand devatas function differently in guiding their devotees. Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu/Krishna are all benevolent, but their ways may be different.

Just thought of telling. "My view only". Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam MS: Hindus in the west face this circumstance a lot. Only in very large cities are there temples for nearly every sect built by differing linguistic, sectarian and geographic elements. In smaller places that was nigh impossible, so we make do. Personally, I'm much more concerned about the spiritual vibration that the peoples friendliness, but that's just me. But if there was only one temple, I'd go there, most likely, unless it was really a put-off place. In that case I'd see my home shrine as the village 'temple'.

Although I've been to our local ISKCON temple, (We have 9 temples here now.) I've never been for the Sunday feast. Word is they've toned down the conversion rhetoric somewhat so it should all be quite fine.

Enjoy.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

If you aren't going to have darshan of a particular deity and just want to visit a temple then any temple is fine.

As a Shaiva I would go to a temple that has a shrine for Lord Shiva but strict Shaiva temples are not found everywhere.
    Smarta temples have both Shiva and Vishnu and most of the temples in any place are Smarta type.

It is not clear whether there is a shrine for Lord Shiva in the temple you want to go.
    Some Vaishnava temples have a shrine for Lord Shiva.There is a Sri Vaishnava temple in my city and they have a shrine for Lord Shiva,Goddess Parvati and Ganapati installed as a family.I did not understand why they had so for a long time.Once I went to the temple very early ( approx. 4:45 AM) before it was opened,little later the chief priest arrived,he went to the shrine of Lord Shiva with keys of the sanctum of Lord Vishnu,bowed to Ganesha,lit the lamp and placed the keys near Shivalingam and Devi and took their permission to open the sanctum of Lord Narayana.Here Shiva is the protector deity so before opening and closing the sanctum of Lord Vishnu and other Vaishnava deities Lord Shiva is worshiped first.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Pranam

Like they say in Garhwal
    Vishnu is full power, Mahadeva is full power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hd5cQTo-ZQ

10. Re: ISKCON Question

Hello,
    My suggestion is do not go by the belief of a 100 or 1000 or even 1 crore people. Seek the faith within yourself, every dharma, institution or community must have some good things or some illogical or bad things in them. Its should be your call to take all of them or do a shopping and embrace whats the best. This way one day you will have your own new faith/belief/dharma(give any label) and that makes you a true human being.

Thread Information