Thread: How would you identify a devotee?

How would you identify a devotee?

Namaste,

As part of his trip in USA, Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami lectured on the topic of 'Sadhu Samaagamam' (benefits of association with devotees) at Sri Lakshmi Temple in Ashland, MA and I had the blessing to visit and listen to the same.

On detailing about the necessity of association with other devotees, Swamiji was narrating how Sri Rama, and Sri Vishnu show the importance of serving other devotees of god. Swamiji said that "if there are 2 superior devotees, one of them being more superior devotee of his and other a mediocre devotee, Sri Vishnu will make the really superior devotee - a devotee of his best devotees while making the mediocre devotee - a devotee of himself".

In really olden days, Brahmanas and other great sadhus existed who could be readily identified as blessed devotees by way of their behavior and singleminded devotion to the Lord. But in these present days where everyone is on a necessity to earn through materialistic means, how do we identify a 'superior devotee' worthy of serving him/her?

We also do not want to wrongly identify those who claim where there is a chance, about "their superior devotion" and "service to Lord" and be able to identify the real bhagawatas.

How would you identify such great devotees? Also would you serve devotees only of your lord (Say Narayana) or be ready to serve just any superior devotee (including devotees of other devatas)?

Secondly, we are all born because of ultimate blemishes in our personality. This makes it really complicated to identify a true devotee - he or she may be blemished by any of the negative traits and still be a devotee, is it not? How to identify a true devotee under such circumstance?

Lastly, a true devotee need not necessarily be someone who prays to god the whole day. I am reminded of the story between a pandit and a poor farmer, who both die and pundit reaches hell but farmer who prays for a quick minute only each day reaches heaven, to indicate sincerity and depth of devotion matter more than length of devotional practice.

So given the above scenarios, how would you identify a true devotee? (And what it means to 'serve one'?)

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: How would you identify a devotee?

Namaste,

I would say, the most important way to identify is by the inner qualities of the person - a devotee can be recognized by their gentleness. I would say, one who is peaceful, upright, truthful, gentle, joyful,.. - generally, quiet,

Deeply settled into peace, this is one aspect I would look for... Joyful is important, it can be also a small smile. . . Consciousness itself, in pure nature, is blissful. .

And of course, the simplest way - to ask them!

A couple of other things to look for - unattached, or, attached to the Divine. . . being attached to the Divine is not like material attachment, and it is actually a very good thing. . .

Quiet mind, I think, is a good one to look for, too. . .

Pranam

oh - and how to identify, i would also just say - spend time with the person, that is, get to know them - and one can tell, what kind of energy is there,.. is it free of fear? etc., there are so many energies. . . Haribol

Thank you for the kind reply, Sir. Dhanyavad.

Namaste Viraja

Its a very good and important question. There are so many things that could be said about association. Firstly association is paramount to making any advancement and we should seek out only the best possible association. it does not have to be limited to living human beings, it can be Shastra, prayer , puja, mediation, awareness of antariyami, association is unlimited and is there all the time, but depends on our awareness. There are many accounts all the way through Shastra and historic accounts of sadhaka's meeting with highly evolved souls to advance further.

How to tell though who is who and if they are genuine or fake, or at what level. There was a saying that I heard from Ramana Maharshi, who said something to the effect that one can understand a level of another persons Jnana by his own level of jnana, I find this very interesting, most of the higher qualities are invisible to certain states of minds, or say the modes of nature, tamas and rajas will not easily recognize sattva, so when consciousness is covered by any of the modes to whatever degree the knowledge of Jnana will be veiled to whatever degree its covered by the modes, when its released and free from the modes then it will be aware of more.

The more finer or subtle ones consciousness goes, which is a sign of advancement then it will see new things, new knowledge will become readily available, one can notice more but it may not be easily identified as its moving away from the objective/empirical world into something more subtle, profound and hard to express.

How would you identify such great devotees? Also would you serve devotees only of your lord (Say Narayana) or be ready to serve just any superior devotee (including devotees of other devatas)?

Secondly, we are all born because of ultimate blemishes in our personality. This makes it really complicated to identify a true devotee - he or she may be blemished by any of the negative traits and still be a devotee, is it not? How to identify a true devotee under such circumstance?
    I would say our first duty in spiritual evolution is to be qualified our self, put the effort in that we have the power to give. Spiritual life doesn't have any stereotypes, so the outcome is not something that is manufactured like in a factory, this would be closer to imitation or just following the crowd and conventions, so the internal push individually while in association is key to success.

The verse that Sri Chaitanya gave about humility and giving respects to others is universal, and by doing so one can carry on with their practice without obstacle, so there should not be any distinction in giving respects to others, their religion and practice, I personally think learning more about other features of Sadhana and culture aid a holistic and fuller understanding of the Absolute, and ultimately the goal of each Sadhaka would be to have the natural quality of equanimity which brings out as a side product altruistic qualities.

There is also a caution to this which may be perceived or carried out by neophytes who love to measure, my Guru is the best and highest out of anyone, only my tradition has pure devotees, only my parampara has the right siddhanta. Others are OK but not quite right, so I tolerate them at best.

This would go against Bhagavad Gita itself, where Krsna is advising to see all being's equally and to look at their spiritual nature rather than the material qualities which are flickering, depending on causes and thus temporary.

Its not an easy subject or question. Gita will tell so many Sattvic qualities, Bhagavatam will give further details on the mahatma, one who is broad minded, the qualities of sadhu is that he is Titiksava Karunika, but then again its not sentimental and one may act and speak according to time and circumstance.

Here is a link I found usefull but its of a very high level, for us normals anyway.

http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart28.htm

Thank you MD ji, that was a wonderful reply.

Thread Information