Thread: Question on 'Ugra devata upasana' (worship of wrathful form of deities)

Question on 'Ugra devata upasana' (worship of wrathful form of deities)

Namaste,

At the forefront I wish to claim I am not against worship of any devata and hence my question is not to state worshiping any of them is wrong or bad.

That said, I want to tell that I was informed sometime back, that wrathful forms of deities such as Kalabhairava, Narasimha, KaaLi and the dasa mahavidyas is not for all, and are necessarily for those upasakas who want to get 'rid' of their desires ans ascend in yogic tapasya only...

Let me explain, what I was told was that i) we may have rightful desires - wanting to ascend in power, wealth, etc, out of hard work ii) or we may have sinful desires. It was told to me that, while the 'Shantha' (peaceful) form of devatas are fully capable of bestowing anything including mukthi to an aspirant, they may not necessarily 'wipe out' all of our desires and might bless us based on our true inclination. Whereas ugra devatas, will quickly act than shantha devatas, but will remove 'all' our desires, including rightful, ambitious ones...

Is this interpretation correct?

Please - only the learned need answer, who know the correct answer to this - no guesses please.

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Question on 'Ugra devata upasana' (worship of wrathful form of deities)

Addendum: It may be interest to quote pandit Sanjay Rath's article on the jyotish planet that is the causative of desires - RAHU. While Rahu is the root cause of 'ahamkara' the 'I the doer ego', Rahu is the bestower of high power seats in Politics. I came to this understanding from his article titled 'Rahu the PM maker' available at his site srath.com. So as per my understanding Rahu with a tame and subdued ego will give high power. While removing the Rahu (as in removing the desires) will lead to moksha.

This info is an addendum only for the learned to understand my question.

Namaste

I am not against your right to express but please don't spread baseless information. Entire India celebrate and worship Maa Durga in her fierceful form. For many Maaya Kaali in her ferocious form is Ishta Devata.

I have come across these sort of baseless self inflicting theories but use my understanding to pick or leave. If we continue to believe or spread these information a day will come when all our deities are branded as Satanic or taken over by cooked up things like shirdi etc.

Down south people should stop worshipping or throw away idols of Shree kaarthikeya because people are torturing themselves under the disguise of worship. Isn't it? Why would a toddler god like Muruga would ask you pierce your body with nails spears and what not....

I am not making a mockery of any Devata but understand my words make Sense if you believe what you wrote.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 30 June 2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Anirudh...

Ugra devathas have a prominent role in Hindu Puranas. Cause for their evolution is only as per need. Every devatha has their own tradition of worshipping. It differs because type of energy we are getting from them is based on the mode and rituals conducted. For normal puja you can worship any kind of deities be it be ugra or shaantha. But coming to upasana we must be little careful while doing Ugra devatha upasana the way we do depends on guru Parampara. Ugra devathas give results even faster than shantha devathas and the same time destruction too if not followed correctly. So proper guidance of a realized guru is required for doing their upasana.

Many believe that Ugra devathas are for only materialistic benefits and not for mukthi or salvation. It is completely wrong and it depends on how one thinks about them. They can be used for both materialistic and also for spiritual ehancement. Most of fierce deities like DasaMahavidya have both the pruposes like two sides of coin and is upto sadhaka to choose for what they are worshipped. Kamala one of the maha vidyas can be worshipped for attracting wealth, Swarna Taara is for earning gold, Prathyangira for protection, mathangi for Mastery over fine arts, Chinnamastha mastery over sex etc.. Tripura rahasyam says any form of goddess is Bhogadhaa(giver of materialistic benefits), Mukthidhaa(Giver of Salvation), Gnaandadhaa(Giver of Knowledge). SO nothing to worry but proper guidance when we choose Ugra devathas upasana.

Shri mathre Namha

Dear friend

As Anirudh has mentioned, these are baseless stuff....The problem with such so-called information is that a hundred years back, there
    was no tv or internet and idle people did not have anything better to do...so they started all these kind of meaningless nonsense to keep themselves occupied...
    many even adulterated/created new scriptures to prove their points

Kalabhairava, Narasimha and Kali are the Supreme forms of Parabhramha....the definition of God or the Almighty in Sanatana Dharma is very very complicated ...

Evil people often with half knowledge, idle brain and nothing better to do scare innocent people with such kind of nonsense...
    the innocent people, who usually are God fearing people, fall into these stuff and fear God even more, rather than loving God

lets take the example of Sri Narasimha...The Avatar of Sri Maha Vishnu...one of the most intelligent and beautiful one...the way its described in
    Srimad Bhagavatam , it was a spectacular Avatar where Sri Maha Vishnu came down to give this divine dharshan to two of His dearest devotees...Prahalada and Hiranyakashyapu[Jaya of Jaya-Vijaya]....

Prahaldha was always connected to Sri Maha Vishnu using love and bhakthi and Hiranyakashyapu was always connected to Sri Maha Vishnu in hatred...
    the most important point is that both were "always connected" to Paramathma...now Sri Narasimha came to His devotees, provided them His divine dashan
    and freed Hiranyakashyapu from first part of his curse[from Sanata kumaras] and showed the path of mukthi to Prahaladha...

Now, coming to your question, we have two extreme cases here...two ends of the spectrum...one with utmost devotion and one with utmost hatred...but both achieved
    good[what else can be more divine than seeing the Avatar of Sri Maha Vishnu in front of their eyes] at the end of the day ...

regarding the rightful desire and sinful desire, Sri Narasimha gave Prahaladha the crown and made him the emperor and he completed all his rightful desires
    under the extreme devotion shelter...Hiranyakashyapu who had sinful desires, but still was completely connected to Sri Hari through hatred, was also released from his body, thus making him free from the first part of his curse, going towards ultimate mukthi..

every other person will fall inside this spectrum of extreme devotion to extreme hatred...when the extreme points have benefited from Sri Narasimha, how is it even remotely possible that any common person, inside this spectrum, trying to go in the devotional mode, who wants to attain mukti after completing all the materialistic duties, devoting the self towards Narasimha or Kalabhairava or Kali, not attain their rightful desires and ultimately the supreme most solution....

So my humble request would be kindly shut your doors to such nonsense which defy logic in the very first sight itself...follow any form or Paramathma you
    feel comfortable with...He will make sure your Yoga and Kshema are taken care of by Him...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post

I am not against your right to express but please don't spread baseless information. Entire India celebrate and worship Maa Durga in her fierceful form. For many Maaya Kaali in her ferocious form is Ishta Devata.
    Sorry, you might want to tone down your reply. As you allude to, I am not "spreading" any false information, I am only requesting via a question, a clarification on what I heard.

I have come across these sort of baseless self inflicting theories but use my understanding to pick or leave. If we continue to believe or spread these information a day will come when all our deities are branded as Satanic or taken over by cooked up things like shirdi etc.

Down south people should stop worshipping or throw away idols of Shree kaarthikeya because people are torturing themselves under the disguise of worship. Isn't it? Why would a toddler god like Muruga would ask you pierce your body with nails spears and what not....

I am not making a mockery of any Devata but understand my words make Sense if you believe what you wrote.
    OK. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SanathanaDharma View Post
    Dear friend

As Anirudh has mentioned, these are baseless stuff....The problem with such so-called information is that a hundred years back, there
    was no tv or internet and idle people did not have anything better to do...so they started all these kind of meaningless nonsense to keep themselves occupied...
    many even adulterated/created new scriptures to prove their points

Kalabhairava, Narasimha and Kali are the Supreme forms of Parabhramha....the definition of God or the Almighty in Sanatana Dharma is very very complicated ...

Evil people often with half knowledge, idle brain and nothing better to do scare innocent people with such kind of nonsense...
    the innocent people, who usually are God fearing people, fall into these stuff and fear God even more, rather than loving God

lets take the example of Sri Narasimha...The Avatar of Sri Maha Vishnu...one of the most intelligent and beautiful one...the way its described in
    Srimad Bhagavatam , it was a spectacular Avatar where Sri Maha Vishnu came down to give this divine dharshan to two of His dearest devotees...Prahalada and Hiranyakashyapu[Jaya of Jaya-Vijaya]....

Prahaldha was always connected to Sri Maha Vishnu using love and bhakthi and Hiranyakashyapu was always connected to Sri Maha Vishnu in hatred...
    the most important point is that both were "always connected" to Paramathma...now Sri Narasimha came to His devotees, provided them His divine dashan
    and freed Hiranyakashyapu from first part of his curse[from Sanata kumaras] and showed the path of mukthi to Prahaladha...

Now, coming to your question, we have two extreme cases here...two ends of the spectrum...one with utmost devotion and one with utmost hatred...but both achieved
    good[what else can be more divine than seeing the Avatar of Sri Maha Vishnu in front of their eyes] at the end of the day ...

regarding the rightful desire and sinful desire, Sri Narasimha gave Prahaladha the crown and made him the emperor and he completed all his rightful desires
    under the extreme devotion shelter...Hiranyakashyapu who had sinful desires, but still was completely connected to Sri Hari through hatred, was also released from his body, thus making him free from the first part of his curse, going towards ultimate mukthi..

every other person will fall inside this spectrum of extreme devotion to extreme hatred...when the extreme points have benefited from Sri Narasimha, how is it even remotely possible that any common person, inside this spectrum, trying to go in the devotional mode, who wants to attain mukti after completing all the materialistic duties, devoting the self towards Narasimha or Kalabhairava or Kali, not attain their rightful desires and ultimately the supreme most solution....

So my humble request would be kindly shut your doors to such nonsense which defy logic in the very first sight itself...follow any form or Paramathma you
    feel comfortable with...He will make sure your Yoga and Kshema are taken care of by Him...
    Thank you for your reply, Sir.

Thread Information