Thread: Mind is the cause for bandhan and moksh !!

Threaded View

Re: Mind is the cause for bandhan and moksh !!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

One more term... brahman. I have used the notion of a person's eye that sees ; the eye by itself, without any aids (a mirror), cannot view itself. Just like that pure awareness
    is the final seer behind all that we see and perceive. Where did I get that idea from?

The spandapradīpikā¹ by utpalabhaṭṭa – this utpala-ji is the vaiṣṇava ( following the school associated with viṣṇu), says the following :
    अदृश्यं नेत्रवद् ब्रह्म द्रष्दृत्वं चास्ति नेत्रवत् ।
    स्वात्मन्येवोपलम्भोऽस्य दर्शनं घटवन्न तु ॥

adṛśyaṁ netravad brahma draṣdṛtvaṁ cāsti netravat |
    svātmanyevopalambho'sya darśanaṁ ghaṭavanna tu ||

Like the eye (netravad) brahman (brahma) is not the seen (adṛśyaṁ ); like the eye (netravat) it is only the seer (draṣdṛtvaṁ);
    Its recovery/’meeting with’ (lambha) brahman is only dwelling within (aysa) one’s own SELF (svātman); it is not (na) observed (darśanaṁ) like a jar (ghaṭavan).

• adṛśyaṁ - invisible, latent
    • netravad = netra + vat or eye + like ( ~ like the eye~); the beauty of this term ‘netra’ is it also means a guide. The alignment here is the eye is the ‘guiding’ organ.
    • brahma – (brahman) wholeness, fullness, Being, ‘That’ , pure awareness, one’s own SELF
    • draṣdṛtvaṁ = draṣṭā – seer, pure awareness ( that which is behind all perceptions – the ultimate and final subject of all things )
    • compare this term draṣṭā to dṛṣṭa ; dṛṣṭa is what is seen, what is observed. What is used in this śloka for ‘seen’ is darśanaṁ - seeing , observing which is found in the second verse of this śloka
    • cāsti – ca + asta = and + given up, setting (as in setting of the sun)
    • netravat = netra + vat or eye + like ( ~ like the eye~)
    • svātmanyevopalambho'sya
      • svātman - owns own SELF
      • lambho'sya
        • lambha – attaining or obtaining; meeting with; capture or recovery
        • asya = as + ya = pertaining to (ya) + 'as' - to abide , dwell , stay
        • I am still perplexed by the use ‘yevopa’ which can be a case ending (ye) + vopa ( which is vu+opa) ; I lack a reasonable translation for it.

• darśanaṁ - seeing, looking, observing
    • ghaṭavanna = ghaṭa+van+na or jar + wooden vessel + not ; this too could be ghaṭava +nna = a water (va) + jar + not ( nna by the rule of sandhi)
    • tu = but, or

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

words
    • spandapradīpikā = spanda + pra + dīpa + kā or offering fulfilling (pra) & satisfying (kā) light (dīpa) on spanda. I do not possess a copy of this work; I just find various couplets ( verses) quoted here and there.
    • utpala+bhaṭṭa - bhaṭṭa is a title of respect , the ‘venerable’ utpala.
      • There is also the other utpaladevācārya I have mentioned in the last post above: utpala+deva+ācārya utpala = blossoming, any flower + deva = divine, of highest excellence + ācārya is the master, knowing or teaching the ācāra or rules, the spiritual guide & luminary within kaśmir śaivism.

Last edited by yajvan; 06 August 2016 at 06:22 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information