Thread: More Questions Than Answers

More Questions Than Answers

Hari Om!

In my own simple words, have been told that it is not appropriate to ask Lord Krisna for anything. Cannot recall the source but did hear it in satsang from a very respected and learned Swami. Question then is: Is it appropriate to ask for His blessings or is this not acceptable either? Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.

Om

Re: More Questions Than Answers

Namaste c.smith

Mostly it would depend on the context, there is not really anything concrete in Gita which says you have to do this and in no way can you do that in spirtual practice, the only thing we have to get rid of is avidya, this requires skill in ones sadhana.

One should always seek the blessing of Sri Krsna, but sometimes we do not really know what to ask for, we think we know whats best for us but if our senses are imperfect then maybe we need something higher to guide us.

Usually when I hear that one should not ask for anything it is to do with karma khanda type of faith and then one should try to practice Nishkam Karma Yoga, to just do and work in the spirit of not getting or asking for the result. This is a preliminary to further retrain consciousness for the ultimate act of surrender in full trust. Nishkam Karma Yoga fits well with contemplative practice too, it can help calm the mind from jumping around asking for this and that, why not be silent sometimes, listen, wait, trust and accept what comes. Both the Karma or work side of spiritual life and the contemplative side both need this type of practice to progress further.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

In my own simple words, have been told that it is not appropriate to ask Lord Krisna for anything. Cannot recall the source but did hear it in satsang from a very respected and learned Swami. Question then is: Is it appropriate to ask for His blessings or is this not acceptable either? Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.

Om

Namaste c.smith ji

In a discussion my Guru from Ahobila Mutt told us, we should ask for Mahaa Vishvaawasam and nothing else because Sriman Naaraayan knows what we require and what we don't require. What I understood from the discussion is, Mahaa Vishwaasam is the firm faith that Sriman Naaraayan is always in our side. It is the firm faith HE will come to our rescue all the time. Gajendra Moksha and Sri Narsimha coming out of pillar are given as an example to emphasize the point. From our own lives we can find many examples of how we got rescued when we felt all doors are shut .

For an year or two found it practically impossible to cultivate Mahaa Vishwaasam until I understood it. Even now I am not practicing it fully. Every one has their own learning curve.

Mahaa Vishwaasam can be understood and practiced if we understand the relationship between child and the parent. Child has the complete faith on the parent, that's why the child goes back to parent irrespective of the punishment or appreciation. The equations is similar from the parent side also. Do we neglect our child even if it does something wrong. We act appropriately and console if required. Why do we have faith in our parents? Because we have seen them supporting and be with us all the time. But there are limitations for them as well. When we understand the limitations spontaneously Mahaa Vishwaasam on Sriman Naaraayan* will begin to swell.

Now one might ask, are there any limitations for Sriman Naaraayan as well. I think yes, but we create them with our actions. In a discourse Sri U. Ve. Krishnan Swamigal says our lives will be fine if we don't hinder the grace coming from Sriman Naaraayan. It took few years to understand how I am the bottleneck to my own self.

Back to your question. In practice I do not find any difference between asking for blessing unless they are give me that, give me this... etc.

* Substitute with your Ishta Devata
    Last edited by Anirudh; 29 July 2016 at 06:00 AM.
    Anirudh...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

From my point of view only,

If the Lord is all knowing, ever present Reality that never takes a day off, that permeates everywhere and everything ( even every thought, feeling, cognition that may or may not occur) of every moment, whether past or present or yet to come... that not even a blade of grass sways in the wind without Him knowing of this. What then could one possibly ask for that He does not already know even before you ask?

For me (again) my request would be greatly influenced by arjuna's words (bhāgavad gītā 2.7):

kārpaṇyadoṣopahatasvabhāvaḥ
    pṛcchāmi tvāṃ dharmasaṃmūḍhacetāḥ |
    yac chreyaḥ syān niścitaṃ brūhi tan me
    śiṣyastehaṃ śādhi māṃ tvāṃ prapannam ||

... tell me O’Lord what is best (śreyas¹) for me

do as you see fit.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

śreyas - this term is written as chreyas in the verse above based upon the rules of grammar that are applied; the term is defined as best, auspicious , fortunate , conducive to one's welfare.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hari Om!

Thank you for the generous replies. Between the opinions and what I have learned here in addition to speaking to a Swami at the Mandir, I feel confident that am doing the correct thing. Have learned the difference between the laws of material and spiritual worlds and this takes a huge play in how I proceed.

Again, thank you to everyone. I consider you all brothers.

Om

Thread Information