Thread: Swapna and shushupti?

Swapna and shushupti?

Namaste all..
    First of all sorry if this question already asked...
    I am curious about which is better, either dream (swapna awasta) or dreamless sleep (sushupti)..

I heard many different opinions.. With help of dreams sometimes we get to know many things, we can control dreams and it is also count as some sadhna.. Some people can see future and see some unusual things by controlling dreams..
    Some says if you are watching dream then it's mean your mind is still going.. You are not calm.. So it's not good.

About deep sleep then some says deep sleep is so near to samadhi.. Only the difference is deep sleep is unconscious.
    In deep sleep we are not thinking.. There is no mind. And we are so near to our self or turiya, deep sleep is like small death..
    While some says that deep sleep means tamo guna is dominant!

So can someone explain which state is superior or both same, if same then which is more important in which situation or part of sadhna?
    I posted this in Upanishad section cause I think there is written about this States in mandukya Upanishad..

Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Re: Swapna and shushupti?

Namaste dear,

From common sense, both dream sleep and dreamless sleep are passive stage of mind. in dream stage its active by its own imagination, so waste of pranic energy and also not getting rejuvenated from deeper self.it is also tammo dominant state.

Susupti is a state where mind is under dominant tammo, but still getting charged form deeper self without our knowledge.
    so naturally susupti is better and essential for our well-being. one deprived of this state for a prolonged period gets mental disorders.

Third state you intended to know is called YOGA-NIDRA. its actually a sattvik state and actually meditation of mind while rest of our faculties are in a restive state.
    But this state doesn"t comes naturally. it needs prolonged practice while go to bed and sleep with chanting and meditation.so that while body will go to sleep,mind will continue its sadhna.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Re: Swapna and shushupti?

Namaste Anirvan Ji.
    First of all I am really sorry to take soooo much days to reply you..
    I am really thankful that you cleared my doubts.. I heard about yoganidra.. But don't know much and didn't tried..
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thread Information