Thread: Bala Raama, incarnation of Sriman Naaraayan or Adishesha?

Bala Raama, incarnation of Sriman Naaraayan or Adishesha?

Namaste

Sriman Naaraayan can take any number of incarnation, who am I to question him? Agreed when Sriman Naaraayan decides to come over to Earth he is followed by his troupe. But why is Sri Bala Raama referred as the form of Aadi Shesha as well as the incarnation of Sriman Naaraayan?

Sri Lakshman, the brother of Sri Raam regarded as the form of Aadi Shesha. If we go by the same logic, can Sri Bala Raama be seen as an incarnation of Sriman Naaraayan. If he is the incarnation, what did he do? Most of the work was done by Sri Krishna. In Raamayana, Sri Lakshman played a very important role. But the role of Sri Bala Raama in Mahaa Bharat was very limited. Has any one read Bhagavat Purana completely which generally considered to be text talking about different incarnations of Sriman Naaraayan? Is there any reference of Sri Bala Raama in it?

Thanks in advance...

Anirudh...

Re: Bala Raama, incarnation of Sriman Naaraayan or Adishesha?

Namaste Anirudh,

Yes, I also believe that Balarama was perhaps an incarnation of Adi Shesha rather than Narayana. If you read the Mahabharatha I perceived some character flaws in him which would not be consistent with an Avatar.

For example he was the teacher of Duryodhana in mace fighting, and afterwards entertained partiality for his favourite student, even to the point of opposing the pandavas right to the kingdom while discussing the issue with Krishna and Satyaki.

He kept out of the war, when he could have been a valuable aid to his brother Krishna and Pandavas, and I see this again due to his partiality to Duryodhana. If Krishna had not been in the side of the Pandavas, he obviously would have joined the Kauravas and it was the prospect of fighting Krishna in the side of the pandavas that probably deterred him from joining the Kauravas.

In the end of the war, when Bheema killed Duryodhana after Krishna's prompting by hitting him in the thigh, an enraged Balarama ran forward with his weapon raised to kill Bheema, and it was Krishna who prevented him from doing so.

You can see that Balarama, like Dhritarashtra and Gandhari, understood Dharma, but his intense affection for his favourite student Duryodhana blinded him to his vices and follies and sided with him. This can be a reason why attachment is seen as a vice as it corrupts the judgement leading to flawed action.

I have not read Bhagavat Purana completely but I have seen and read about Balarama's idols kept near to Krishna and Radha and Subhadra in some temples probably indicating that he was perceived by some as an important incarnation.

Pranams.

Thank you Ajay for taking time to answer me. I ll send you a PM or post it over here if I think worth sharing.
    Anirudh...

Hare Krishna
    Shri BalRaam is the incarnation of Lord SheshNag or Adishesha. and Lakhan Ji is also the incarnation of Lord SheshNag or Adishesha.

Thread Information