Thread: What Hindu Culture is all about?

What Hindu Culture is all about?

Hi I am Niedeckerlorine. Since I am new to this forum please forfive me if I am creating a wrong thread. I have joined this forum to understand Hindu culture. If I would get a help it would be great.

Re: What Hindu Culture is all about?

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

For introduction to Hinduism, please read the following,

1. Read up the Basics of Hinduism at
    https://www.himalayanacademy.com/rea...s/nine-beliefs

2. Do a search on the internet for the most revered Hindu book, Bhagwad Gita. Below is a suggested translation of the Bhagwad Gita,
    http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-01-01.html

As introductory remarks about Bhagwad Gita, Arjuna, a warrior prince hesitates to fight a war against his own family members who support injustice in the society. However, Lord Krishna, acting as the charioteer for Arjuna in the war, gives Arjuna the philosophy of life and convinces him to fight for justice. To a beginner, it can be jarring that God Himself is asking His devotee to fight in the battlefield instead of being non-violent; but the fight is in the cause of justice. So, to shy away from violence when confronted with irreligious behavior is wrong.

There are millions of sources available on the internet for the curious!

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

For introduction to Hinduism, please read the following,

1. Read up the Basics of Hinduism at
    https://www.himalayanacademy.com/rea...s/nine-beliefs

2. Do a search on the internet for the most revered Hindu book, Bhagwad Gita. Below is a suggested translation of the Bhagwad Gita,
    http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-01-01.html

As introductory remarks about Bhagwad Gita, Arjuna, a warrior prince hesitates to fight a war against his own family members who support injustice in the society. However, Lord Krishna, acting as the charioteer for Arjuna in the war, gives Arjuna the philosophy of life and convinces him to fight for justice. To a beginner, it can be jarring that God Himself is asking His devotee to fight in the battlefield instead of being non-violent; but the fight is in the cause of justice. So, to shy away from violence when confronted with irreligious behavior is wrong.

There are millions of sources available on the internet for the curious!

Pranam.
    Thanks a lot for sharing this. There are lot of good things I have heard about Gita. When I go to Banaras I see, how people are devoted to the spirituality of God. I love it. I have heard that there are more than 330 millions Gods and Goddesses according to Hindu mythology. I have also searched Hindu God's name on http://www.babynology.com/godnames.html but could not filter it out since there are lot of names related to god.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by niedeckerlorine View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing this. There are lot of good things I have heard about Gita. When I go to Banaras I see, how people are devoted to the spirituality of God. I love it. I have heard that there are more than 330 millions Gods and Goddesses according to Hindu mythology. I have also searched Hindu God's name on http://www.babynology.com/godnames.html but could not filter it out since there are lot of names related to god.
    God is One. Seekers call Him by various names : "Ekam sad vipra bahudha vadanti" (Rig Veda, SamhitA). Focus on any deity which attracts you.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Niedeckerlorine,

Welcome to the HDF. The millions of gods and goddess generally heard from laymen are actually ignorant views.Even most of hindus posses such ignorant views. Even concept of God is very relative in hinduism and its meant for lower class students of hinduism.

The absolute truth or existence or primordial concept is vaguely referred to as God.

The so many gods and goddess referred are actually the lower faculties/powers of supreme meant for specific function to run the creation. And they are reffered to as separate gods or demigods.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by anirvan View Post
    The millions of gods and goddess generally heard from laymen are actually ignorant views.Even most of hindus posses such ignorant views. Even concept of God is very relative in hinduism and its meant for lower class students of hinduism.
    Does all this have scriptural backing or are they your personal views?

Words should always be chosen carefully. "lower class students" is not a very flattering way to describe the souls on the lower rungs of spiritual ladder.

Pranam.

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

śubhāśayāḥ,
    There are lot of good things I have heard about Gita.
    This ~book~ the bhāgavad gītā is the song of the Lord . 700 verses ( some count 701 , others 716) contain the cream of the veda-s and no less than 6 schools of thought offered on 3 levels of consciousness. Even other schools¹ look to this great conversation as most prolific and in-depth view of the finest principles man can comprehend on Reality and on the Supreme.

To miss this grand work as essential reading & study is to sell a diamond at the price of spinach.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. other schools - trika : example - the bhāgavadgītārthasaṁgraha by abhinavaguptaji
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

~Namaste

I am a practitioner of Kashmir Shaivism, and I love the Gita and study it regularly. I also enjoy Jnaneshwar's commentary translated from Marathi (my Guru is from Maharashtra). I thoroughly agree the Gita is a vital text irregardless of your sampradaya.

Though I have yet to read it, Swami Lakshmanjoo's commentary on the Gita has been published, and his oral teachings are available on DVD set.

Though Swami Lakshmanjoo is not my Guru, I find his transmission of Kashmir Shaivism teachings invaluable. I highly recommend the Universal Shaiva Fellowship newsletter, which contains teachings with devanagri and sanskrit of source text, then Swamiji's question and answer commentary with his disciples in English.

~Pranam
    Jana Bess
    Las Vegas Nevada USA
    jnanananda.com

Thread Information