Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Krishna did not participate in M.B war?

Why Krishna did not participate in M.B war?

Namaste

Not sure if this question had been raised in the past. For the past two to three weeks I have been asking myself why Sri Krishna did not participate in the war. Members might think it s a very basic and childish question. I think the entire Srimad Bhagavath Gita is entwined in that one action of Sri Krishna. Sri Krishna is not a Ahimsawadi like of Father of our Nation (pun intended). So why did he not participate in the war to establish Justice / Dharma?

The more you read Srimad Maha Bharath and connect the events that preceded the war, more we understand war was written on the wall. Not even the Shanti Dooth could have averted it. If that be case, why Sri Krishna did what wasn't necessary.

Birth of Sri Krishna was to annihilate the EVIL. So all he had to do was to put the Chakra Aayudh in action. Isn't it?

Some people also think the contents of Srimad Maha Bharath is a metaphor. Say for eg, Arjuna the Son of Indra (Indriya) had to be educated just like we educating our own brain (to take the right decision). No matter how you treat the war, the point to be noted is it was (Y)OUR war and hence we should be accountable to our actions.....

I end by saying as long as we live we have to face the M.B war. Just like a Saarathi to Arjun he is with us, but WE SHOULD PERFORM our ACTIONS because it is OUR WAR.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 31 August 2016 at 01:42 AM.
    Anirudh...

Re: Why Krishna did not participate in M.B war?

Namaste Anirudh,

Adding my thoughts (based on what I read).

For the question, "Why Sri Krishna did not stop the war in the first place by making the Pandavas win the game of dice, he being the almighty?" --

The answer was offered (as per the holy book of MB) that Sri Krishna replied so to Uddhava, "Duryodhana, at the turn of events leading to the war, was solicited to play the game of dice, he said, his uncle Shakuni will play it on his behalf. Whereas, when Yudhishtira was solicited, he never said that I (Sri Krishna) will play on his/their behalf. If he had done so, I would have helped them win the game of dice in the first place".

The above answer is to show that everyone is bound by his/her karma and while the almighty can *ease* our earthly stay, he cannot play it for us, as then we will not learn our lessons.

Just some views, may not be the best answer, ignore if the answer is not what you are looking for.

Best wishes.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja,

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Anirudh,

Adding my thoughts (based on what I read).

For the question, "Why Sri Krishna did not stop the war in the first place by making the Pandavas win the game of dice, he being the almighty?" --

The answer was offered (as per the holy book of MB) that Sri Krishna replied so to Uddhava, "Duryodhana, at the turn of events leading to the war, was solicited to play the game of dice, he said, his uncle Shakuni will play it on his behalf. Whereas, when Yudhishtira was solicited, he never said that I (Sri Krishna) will play on his/their behalf. If he had done so, I would have helped them win the game of dice in the first place".

Best wishes.
    Even I have heard this view. Surya Putra Karna (Tele serial)?. One might ask will Sri Krishna help you even in evil practices? Didn't Raaja yudishtar had the option to avoid the game of dice. The same King had earlier used his intelligence to deal with owner/care taker of the lake when he found his brothers were all dead while fetching water. Other brothers ignored the warning so they met premature death.

If we consider the voice of the owner of the lake (which was ignored by others) as the advice/warning by Sriman Naaraayan then it clearly indicates that Raaja yudishtar was advised by his own brothers not to play. And Raaja yudishtar ignored it.

We can conclude two different things from things from this example.
    1. Sri Krishna assisting us including in evil practices
    2. Who is the doer here?

In case of dealing evil practices only assistance we can hope to get from Sriman Naaraayan is warnings. PERIOD.

But if we consider everything as Sriman Naaraayan, (that's if the doer and doable are the same) then who is learning and what is been learned or why do we need such learning and what's the use of the learning if it was pre destined? Most importantly why it was necessary to capture the essence in Smriti or Shruti or what ever one might want to term the capturing mechanism? Sounds bit illogical isn't it? I am in the process of reading explanation of Srimad Bhagavat Geeta by Sri Raamaanujaacharya. When I am done with, I may have answer for this.

Lets see from another perspective. If you consider or believe that you are responsible for your actions and also the course correction then we don't see any thing illogical here.

In my humble understanding, this is exactly Sri Krishna trying to teach us through the action of not participating in the war even though it was desired by both the parties.

We are born to wash away our sins (Karma), and that war is OURS. We should perform the right action as we are showered with intelligence. Let's use the gift given to us. Undoubtedly He is with US when we are failing but the intent to get up AND fix things SHOULD be ours. OR ELSE one more Janma/birth.

At this stage, I ask myself why should Jiva ie you and me take birth. Do you think Sriman Naaraayan wanted to have fun just like we enjoy while our dogs fetch the ball we threw? I think (don't remember the series name) Sri U Ve Krishnan Swamigal has given a very beautiful answer to this question in Lakshmi Kadaaksham series.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 30 August 2016 at 08:22 PM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Sorry to jump in, in the middle of a good discussion ! I remember only this statement of Lord Krishna on such issues :

"God neither creates the "doership" nor the "actions" in this world. He doesn't create the fruits arising from such actions either. It is just the Nature in action."

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste,

Sorry to jump in, in the middle of a good discussion ! I remember only this statement of Lord Krishna on such issues :

"God neither creates the "doership" nor the "actions" in this world. He doesn't create the fruits arising from such actions either. It is just the Nature in action."

OM

Namaste Devotee,

Thanks for bringing that line.
    I must admit in spite of all the anarchism in and around the individual, the individual can be at peace no matter the next moment is the end of that individual's body. Apologies if my posts sound in-congruent ie like picking up words from different sources and trying to give meaning to it.

Thanks again
    Anirudh...

Dear Friend,

First of all an excellent question, but only one word in your question is "wrong"...
    the word "participate" in "why Krishna did not participate in the war?" is wrong because

- Every single person including the doctors who nursed the injured soldiers, the servants who served the kings at Kurukshetra,
    the persons who fed the elephants and horses, the elephants and horses themselves, the foot soldiers, the "Athirathis", "Maharathis"
    and all the kings from across the globe including the Pandavas and Kauravas, every single charioteer[including Sri Vaasudev Krishna]
    of every king, and everyone else who were at Kurukshetra "Participated" in the great Mahabharata war..

So, lets first get that clarified..Sri Krishna very much did participate in the war...

now coming to the actual context of your question[please correct me if my understanding is wrong],
    why didn't Sri Krishna take up His Sudarshana Chakra and kill everyone and call it a day within few nano seconds?

Well the answer lies in two parts...

- First and foremost,inside this materialistic Universe, not everyone gets that greatest opportunity to die in the hands of Sriman Narayana...one has to have done a lot of pious work, reached the peak of devotion, attain the greatest state of serving Sri Paramathma, then might have commited a mistake,
    for which they fall back into the mundane life. But because He is the ocean of mercy, because He never lets away His devotees even when
    they have sinned, because He always dearly loves even the ones who think of Him alone in complete hatred, He comes down to his sinned devotees,
    kills them and ends their miserable mundane life, gives them back the higher status of being close to Him [remember Jaya and Vijaya]...

So its very clear, just because He is in front for a bad person [like Dhuryodhana] He will not grant that mercy to the evil Dhuryodhana ..
    Duryodhana had done no great deed..was not a great devotee either[in that life or previous life]..so him getting killed by the Divine Paramathma will turn out to be plain injustice ...and how can Sri Vaasudeva do such a thing...

- Second, even before the war started, while doing the Gitopadesha [Gita Upadesha- telling Bhagawad Gita], as very clearly mentioned
    in that divine 11th chapter...when Sri Maha Vishnu shows that indescribable Maha Vishwaroopa....the Universal form..to that greatest devotee
    Arjuna, Ajruna gets terrified ..Arjuna very clearly sees all the Kauravas, their army getting dragged helplessly into the mouth of that Varataswaroopi,
    completely afraid, he asks Sri Krishna as to who is He in reality..

for which Sri Maha Vishnu replies that He is Kaala[Time]... Loka kshaya krt[the One who causes destruction of this Universe]....

Now comes a part which only Parabramha can say...He then tells Arjuna that all of these warriors are already killed... [this is such a complicated
    statement....Sri Krishna is talking to Arjuna in present..while Arjuna is seeing the future....Sri Vaasudeva is talking in past-tense from future...a great
    topic for a very long discussion...not now ] So Sri Vaasudeva even very clearly mentions, that all of them who are killed, will cease to exist
    even without Arjuna!!..hence He asks Arjuna to just become a "nimmitta maatra" an instrument only....and perform his duty...

So, by default, as very clearly mentioned, even if Arjuna was not going to fight the war, the war would have taken place, all the warriors would be killed and Dharma would have won...by Whom?...ofcourse by The One who is beyond everything...who is not bound by Karma..who is not bound by Gunas, who is not bound by Time...by Him who is the Supreme-most ..Sri Vaasudeva Krishna...

my dear friend, in His divine leela, you and me are only instruments caught up in this illusionary universe, bound by time and actions..if we perform our duty, we get to enjoy the good result, if we dont, we have to suffer the bad repercussions...He will always be there to guide us from within...but has given us intellect to think..to avoid doing bad deeds..to attain Him...its all His divine leela...beyond our limited understanding!

Namaste Anirudh,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Devotee,

Thanks for bringing that line.
    I must admit in spite of all the anarchism in and around the individual, the individual can be at peace no matter the next moment is the end of that individual's body. Apologies if my posts sound in-congruent ie like picking up words from different sources and trying to give meaning to it.

Thanks again
    There is another angle to this. Though apparently He didn't kill anyone but in reality it was He who killed in the battlefield. In Bhagwad Gita Chapter 11 He says, "These warriors are already killed by Me. You just become the instrument (NimittamAtra)".

So, did He really not participate in war ? In fact, imo, at that time, the earth was heavily loaded with so many great and mighty warriors that peace was illusive for the common man. So, Lord Krishna wanted annihilation of all those mighty warriors and ultimately this was what happened (even to the mighty Yadavas). As Barbareek exclaimed after the Mahabharata war, "It was You, Lord Krishna, who fought and killed all those who were killed in the war !". However, if God did it all alone in full public view, it would create great confusion in the minds of people and the whole game of MAyA could be broken. May be that is why He does everything and yet He remains the not-doer hidden under the shadow of His powerful MAyA.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by SanathanaDharma View Post
    Dear Friend,

First of all an excellent question, but only one word in your question is "wrong"...
    the word "participate" in "why Krishna did not participate in the war?" is wrong because

my dear friend, in His divine leela, you and me are only instruments caught up in this illusionary universe, bound by time and actions..if we perform our duty, we get to enjoy the good result, if we dont, we have to suffer the bad repercussions...He will always be there to guide us from within...but has given us intellect to think..to avoid doing bad deeds..to attain Him...its all His divine leela...beyond our limited understanding!
    Namaste SanathanaDharma

Thanks for bringing up an another shade to this discussion.

why didn't Sri Krishna take up His Sudarshana Chakra and kill everyone and call it a day within few nano seconds?
    Same thing can be said for the Sri Vaamana Avtar because HE uses his feet to establish justice. So my assumption was members can easily understand the context. That being said, here the point is not just weapons because unlike other Avatar(s), HE didn't fight the enemy using his own hands or physical power while HE Killed Kams and other demons by himself. Why? Divine Leela? What is leela? Can we define it or even the word Leela is beyond our understanding? If the answer is yes then why are we using it even though we don't understand it?

Let's do a small comparison with Raaja Vibishana, Raaja Yudishtar.

All surrendered to Sriman Naaraayan but Shri Raam fought Raavana while Sri Krishna instructed/guided/instigated/etc Arjuna to fight the war. Point to be noted is, in both cases, respect of a woman was at stake. Should we understand because Sri Sita was his wife he took up arm to kill the demon that troubled his wife and because Paanchali was his Sister (not biological), decided to be a charioteer and forced the husband(s) to salvage the pride of Paanchali.

Another point is being killed by Paramaatma than anyone else. Should we understand other demons were more deserving than Duryodhana or Karna? And if we include the story of Karna, then we should ask ourselves whether Karna was as bad as Duryodhana to be killed?

I raised this question after comparing what ever I know, and in my humble opinion you and me have to fight our own wars using the intellect we are blessed with. There is an another shade to the discussion. That is, whether the war is assumed or real? I leave the discussion open at this state so that members can delve on it and compare it with their own lives.

With all humility let me tell you that there is nothing in this entire universe which is beyond our capabilities to understand. It is because of our lack of interest we tend to believe it can't be understood. And understanding is an ongoing process.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 31 August 2016 at 12:00 PM.
    Anirudh...

As per the promise given to Pandavas and Kauravas about usage and distribution of his resources, he wasn't supposed to participate in the Mahabharata war, rather he was only supposed to be an adviser.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

Not sure if this question had been raised in the past. For the past two to three weeks I have been asking myself why Sri Krishna did not participate in the war. Members might think it s a very basic and childish question. I think the entire Srimad Bhagavath Gita is entwined in that one action of Sri Krishna. Sri Krishna is not a Ahimsawadi like of Father of our Nation (pun intended). So why did he not participate in the war to establish Justice / Dharma?

The more you read Srimad Maha Bharath and connect the events that preceded the war, more we understand war was written on the wall. Not even the Shanti Dooth could have averted it. If that be case, why Sri Krishna did what wasn't necessary.

Birth of Sri Krishna was to annihilate the EVIL. So all he had to do was to put the Chakra Aayudh in action. Isn't it?

Some people also think the contents of Srimad Maha Bharath is a metaphor. Say for eg, Arjuna the Son of Indra (Indriya) had to be educated just like we educating our own brain (to take the right decision). No matter how you treat the war, the point to be noted is it was (Y)OUR war and hence we should be accountable to our actions.....

I end by saying as long as we live we have to face the M.B war. Just like a Saarathi to Arjun he is with us, but WE SHOULD PERFORM our ACTIONS because it is OUR WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Anirudh,

There is another angle to this. Though apparently He didn't kill anyone but in reality it was He who killed in the battlefield. In Bhagwad Gita Chapter 11 He says, "These warriors are already killed by Me. You just become the instrument (NimittamAtra)".

So, did He really not participate in war ? In fact, imo, at that time, the earth was heavily loaded with so many great and mighty warriors that peace was illusive for the common man. So, Lord Krishna wanted annihilation of all those mighty warriors and ultimately this was what happened (even to the mighty Yadavas). As Barbareek exclaimed after the Mahabharata war, "It was You, Lord Krishna, who fought and killed all those who were killed in the war !". However, if God did it all alone in full public view, it would create great confusion in the minds of people and the whole game of MAyA could be broken. May be that is why He does everything and yet He remains the not-doer hidden under the shadow of His powerful MAyA.

OM
    Namaste Devotee,

Yes, I too remember it along with the picture of M.B of Yash Chopra. Your statements remind me what my elders use to say ("Sarvam Krishnarpanam") after performing the pooja. I accept that without HIS wish even an atom can't move.

However, what you term as MAyA is not an illusion but a reality to you and me. Isn't it? Even the resultant arithmetic is carried over along with us as Sanchita karma, isn't it?

Why did he not follow the same method in other Avatar(s)? My understanding is, only during the Mahabharata war HE did not take up arms to re establish justice.

By the way, is it wrong to ask HIM why HE chose that route? I don't think so.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information