Thread: Shiva related poetry/lyric

Shiva related poetry/lyric

Namaste

Is the Tamil Tirumurai the only Shiva poetry in whole India?
    I cannot find anything on the web.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Re: Shiva related poetry/lyric

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Is the Tamil Tirumurai the only Shiva poetry in whole India?
    I cannot find anything on the web.

Pranam
    Namaste,

Every Shaiva sampradaya has a lot of devotional poetry/ literature in Sanskrit and much more in local languages.
    It is sooo vast that I feel one lifetime won't be sufficient to study it.

- Shivanandalahari,Shiva Mahimna Stava are two famous Sanskrit works.

http://shaivam.org/english/sen_shivaananda.htm

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~sohum/sanskri...na/mahimna.htm

- Virashaivas have Vachana Sahitya,it is said to more than 22,000 verses.There is a translated English version of about 2500 verses printed by Basava Samithi.(Costs approx. 200 INR).
    Preview: http://www.basavasamithi.org/Vachanas.php

- Shiva Stotravali by Utpaladeva Acharya is a notable Kashmiri Shaiva work.I read a few verses, its good.

-I wrote about one collection of 108 verses in this text.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...als-Beautiful-verses-on-Sri-Kalahastishwara-by-MahaKavi-Dhurjati

I've seen at least 5 distinct Shataka collections on Lord Shiva (but all in local language/Sanskrit).

I am sure there are hundreds of works but unfortunately very little has been translated so far and even less can found online.(My guess is that less than 5% of Saiva literature is in English/online).

Are you are looking for a particular type of work or works from a certain sampradaya?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thank you so much Ram11

I know about Shivanandalahari, Shiva Mahimna Stava and Vachana Sahitya. And yes, there are a lot of mantras available.

I will try to describe my problem as a simple Westerner … Vaishnava literature is perfect prepared availabe all over the web. Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavatam, Mahabharata, Ramayana, works of Tulsidas, Kabir, Narsinh Mehta, Kalidasa, Narada‘s Bhakti Sutras, Tyagaraja‘s Nauka Charitram, Narayana Bhattathiri’s Narayaniyam, Bilvamangala’s Krishna Karnamrita, Punthanam‘s Jnanappana, Thunchat Eluthachan’s Adhyatma Ramayana, Gyaneshwar’s Changdev Pasashti, Madhva’s Mahabharata Tatparya Nirnaya … and and and …

You write:
    I am sure there are hundreds of works but unfortunately very little has been translated so far and even less can found online.(My guess is that less than 5% of Saiva literature is in English/online).

This is exactly my impression. Shiva is not as present online as Krishna – from the view of a Westerner.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Thank you so much Ram11

I know about Shivanandalahari, Shiva Mahimna Stava and Vachana Sahitya. And yes, there are a lot of mantras available.

I will try to describe my problem as a simple Westerner … Vaishnava literature is perfect prepared availabe all over the web. Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavatam, Mahabharata, Ramayana, works of Tulsidas, Kabir, Narsinh Mehta, Kalidasa, Narada‘s Bhakti Sutras, Tyagaraja‘s Nauka Charitram, Narayana Bhattathiri’s Narayaniyam, Bilvamangala’s Krishna Karnamrita, Punthanam‘s Jnanappana, Thunchat Eluthachan’s Adhyatma Ramayana, Gyaneshwar’s Changdev Pasashti, Madhva’s Mahabharata Tatparya Nirnaya … and and and …

You write:

This is exactly my impression. Shiva is not as present online as Krishna – from the view of a Westerner.

Pranam
    Namaste

Glad to see some nice words about Sriman Naaraayan here.

When someone relocates due to various reasons, religion travel along with him. I think Hare Krishna movement played a major role in the above said (perceived?) transformation. I had a notion that Sri Prabhupada should have stayed back in India to serve Indian masses. Apparently you have provided me an opportunity to re evaluate my understanding. I will restrict my words with that as it is a Shaiva form.

I think reasons for the translations you have mentioned as a natural outcome of misdeeds of Robert Caldwell and resultant Geo-political unrest in that region. Looks like not everything is as bad we would want to perceive.
    Anirudh...

Namaste:

I add my heartfelt praises of love for the Shivastotravali by Utpaladeva. Every sentence is saturated with the nectar of longing and bliss.

I have the Constantina Rhodes Bailly "pocket size" version. There is also a new version by Swami Lakshamjoo which I have not read.

~Jana
    Jana Bess
    Las Vegas Nevada USA
    jnanananda.com

Namaste

Ram 11 Ji, hope you are well

(My guess is that less than 5% of Saiva literature is in English/online)
    Maybe that's a good thing and perhaps even better that most this knowledge is protected by samadhi states which need to be earned.

Namaste Indialover

I consider when we hit walls like this in langue it should push us to go either 3 ways to understand, and maybe all 3 cultivated simultaneous is the best, that would be to increase our understanding of Sanskrit or other languages it was first expressed in, learn within that culture and tradition, and develop the right faculty through sadhana and purification of Mind.

Thread Information