Thread: Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone

Hello

I am 13 years old and I am from Canada and I am currently living as an exchange here in the Punjab with a very religious Amritdhari Sikh family (I will be staying here until I am 18 years old) I don't know very much about Hinduism but I know a lot about Sikhism. I am some issues with the Sikh family I am currently living with; they are making me practice Sikhism even though I am Christian. My host Sikh family have only two biological daughters (ages 17 and 15) and no sons. They adopted a 13 year old orphaned Hindu boy 3 months ago (they seem to prefer older boys as they do not want to care for an infant) which is the same time I arrived from Canada. Things were okay for the first month living here but that seemed to changed when they stopped talking to me in English and insisted I talk to them in Punjabi (a language I am barely fluent in). The climax of my stay with them happened last week when my host family drove me and their adoptive son to a hairstylist and had hair extensions (artificial hair) fused to our natural hair thus giving us both long hair that reached to our waists. When we got home, a Granthi (Sikh Priest) was waiting at the house and after dinner that night, we were told by the Granthi that we are no longer Christian and Hindu but Sikhs from now on. Me and their adoptive son had out hair tied in a Joora (hair bun) and has a patka tied to our heads making us Sikh boys.

Re: Hi Everyone

Hari Om!

I have a lot to say but will refrain.

Do let me say for your sake however that if you feel that Christianity is your true religion and it is in your heart and will be for life, their declaration that you are Sikh - even if you must practice for some years - has no bearing. You know your God, though many say that all paths lead to the same God. Please consider this, but again, only you know which relationship rings true for you.

All the best.

Om

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

How should we use the information that you have provided?
    What is it that you need from us?
    Why have you been abandoned for the next 5 years?
    Things don't add up!

Pranam.

Namaste Yukonau,

Quote Originally Posted by yukonau View Post

I am 13 years old and I am from Canada and I am currently living as an exchange here in the Punjab with a very religious Amritdhari Sikh family (I will be staying here until I am 18 years old) I don't know very much about Hinduism but I know a lot about Sikhism. I am some issues with the Sikh family I am currently living with; they are making me practice Sikhism even though I am Christian. My host Sikh family have only two biological daughters (ages 17 and 15) and no sons. They adopted a 13 year old orphaned Hindu boy 3 months ago (they seem to prefer older boys as they do not want to care for an infant) which is the same time I arrived from Canada. Things were okay for the first month living here but that seemed to changed when they stopped talking to me in English and insisted I talk to them in Punjabi (a language I am barely fluent in). The climax of my stay with them happened last week when my host family drove me and their adoptive son to a hairstylist and had hair extensions (artificial hair) fused to our natural hair thus giving us both long hair that reached to our waists. When we got home, a Granthi (Sikh Priest) was waiting at the house and after dinner that night, we were told by the Granthi that we are no longer Christian and Hindu but Sikhs from now on. Me and their adoptive son had out hair tied in a Joora (hair bun) and has a patka tied to our heads making us Sikh boys.
    First of all, I have similar questions in my mind while answering your post as Believer has asked in the above post.
    Second, you don't "become" anything until you accept anything on yourself. Let them do whatever they want to. Don't fight with them but remain what you feel you are at your heart. I won't become a Christian through any ritual done on me by the Church if it is done against my wishes / under coercion. Similarly, I won't become a Muslim by reading Kalamaa if that is forced on me. I will always remain a Hindu unless I want to change.

So, read Guru Granth Sahib or whatever they want you to read. It will add up to your knowledge of Sikhism and make your life easier. When you go back home, revert back to Christianity ! No big deal !!

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information