Namaste

What is the difference between the soul/atma/life residing (although temporarily) in Human being and non Human being?

We have discussed on the process and timing of life entering womb to judge abortion against issues like rape and probable danger to mother and child in case of infection etc. There are various interpretation of scriptures but every one will agree that life is born because of the Karmic cycle.

Every day lakhs of animals are killed or permanently injured purely for the purpose of human gratification (garments, food, medicine, fashion & grooming). I started practicing vegetarianism only few years ago, so I don't have the moral right to preach. But tell me one thing, by killing a animal to satisfy my tastes buds (not necessarily my tongue alone) am I not stopping their right to live? One may argue, if every one choose vegetarianism there won't be enough vegetarian food left in the world. I think it is a shallow argument because a cattle or a bird or a fish before it is healthy enough to be sold would have consumed a lot of vegetarian products.

Most important point is that they don't even harm us.

What's our reaction when a wild animal enter into our living area. Forget about python, lion, elephant etc, what is first our reaction when we see mosquitoes, bed bugs, cockroaches, rodents etc in our living area? We don't think twice before killing it. In a isolated incidents we shall do the same thing with bigger and powerful animals. Why? Self protection? Right?

It is said only Humans have powerful faculty called mind and hope every one has the ability to experience the animal's reaction upon seeing a invading hand into its living area also called as forest, river, ocean and sky?

So, back to my question. Right to live - Restricted only to blessed?

Members may feel this thread should have been posted under Vegetarianism sub forum, but, I am viewing it from a different plane....

PS: It is not clear to me how an animal in the current birth can elevate to the higher plane in the successive births.