Thread: Can I call myself a Hindu?

Can I call myself a Hindu?

Dear Friends,

This question may have been answered already, but I want to ask it anyway. So, can I call myself a "Hindu?" I am an American, raised Catholic, but left the Church when I was in high school. I discovered yoga and Hinduism in college and I have been practicing sadhana for forty years! I have visited Mother India three times and am going again this year. I have had and been initiated by two gurus. The first Shri Shri Anandamurti in the 1970s, one of whose acharyas gave me my spiritual name. And now, my sadguru, Ma Indira Devi, no longer in her body, of Pune. I feel I can happily call myself a yogi and a sadhaka but can I call myself Hindu? For example, some guidebooks say that only "Hindus" can enter certain temples. (I've never encountered a temple that did not welcome me inside so far.) Luckily I am olive skinned with dark hair and blend in well enough in India. All teachers and all the people of India have always been so welcoming and friendly and willing to share their wisdom with me. And I've been welcomed with open arms by the devotees of my guru's ashram.
    But with the rise of identity politics, concerns about "cultural appropriation" and "Hindutva," I now wonder if some would be offended if I called myself "Hindu."
    I would really appreciate your opinion on this matter!
    Namaste and Jai Guru!
    Mahendra

Re: Can I call myself a Hindu?

Namaste,

To malign the ruling party, the do-nothing Congress party functionaries have been 'inventing' scenarios. The 'rise of Hindutva' is a very handy and morally corrupt accusation that they have floated. Nothing has changed much and this hollow jibberish is just that, jibberish. I would not pay much attention to the English speaking intelligentsia in India coming up with and trying to spread meaningless ideas in an attempt to throw dirt at the ruling party.

The utterly stupid, hollow people complain about 'cultural appropriation' when somebody tries to follow Hindu cultural/artistic/religious values. Again, it is a meaningless term meant for English speaking idle minds to discuss something over a glass of champagne.

I am not sure why you pay so much attention to non-issues in the news and get discouraged. Regarding whether you can call yourself a Hindu, you may call yourself whatever your heart desires. If you consider yourself to be a sadhaka and a yogi, then what is left which prevents you from calling yourself a Hindu? Maybe I am missing something here.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

The utterly stupid, hollow people complain about 'cultural appropriation' when somebody tries to follow Hindu cultural/artistic/religious values. Again, it is a meaningless term meant for English speaking idle minds to discuss something over a glass of champagne.

Pranam.
    Namaste Believer,

I must express my sincere appreciation of you saying this statement. I agree wholeheartedly. What many "intellectuals" call "cultural appropriation" can be summed up in much simpler words: insincerity and mockery. Why make a big term out of it?

To the original poster: don't think in terms of "cultural appropriation." Instead think in terms of what I just said: are you sincere in at least attempting to follow the Hindu path? Are you actively trying to do your research and ergo not actively mock Hinduism? From your post it sounds like the answer to the above questions is yes, so congratulations! You can call yourself Hindu. For now. We will be watching closely, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

To malign the ruling party, the do-nothing Congress party functionaries have been 'inventing' scenarios. The 'rise of Hindutva' is a very handy and morally corrupt accusation that they have floated. Nothing has changed much and this hollow jibberish is just that, jibberish. I would not pay much attention to the English speaking intelligentsia in India coming up with and trying to spread meaningless ideas in an attempt to throw dirt at the ruling party.

I am not sure why you pay so much attention to non-issues in the news and get discouraged. Regarding whether you can call yourself a Hindu, you may call yourself whatever your heart desires. If you consider yourself to be a sadhaka and a yogi, then what is left which prevents you from calling yourself a Hindu? Maybe I am missing something here.

Pranam.
    +1

Namaste Mahendra,
    I completely agree with Believer, how ever, wish to add some points which will help you to empathize with the situation.

And I've been welcomed with open arms by the devotees of my guru's ashram.
    But with the rise of identity politics, concerns about "cultural appropriation" and "Hindutva," I now wonder if some would be offended if I called myself "Hindu."
    I discovered yoga and Hinduism in college and I have been practicing sadhana for forty years!
    I wish to ask you, say for some or other reason (eg: health), you aren't able to visit or not allowed to enter a temple, will you still ask the same question? Although it is easy to raise subjects like identity politics, racial profiling etc there is a positive and negative side to the restriction experienced by foreigners in Indian temples. Let's not forget that Invaders plundered Indian cultural heritage for more than 1000 years. Even then, India still welcome non Indian Hindus.

If Indians had done just 25% of what westerners have done (still doing, eg Uncle Sam still arming doves around India to teeth) to India, do you think America or any other western world will allow Indians to enter their country?
    Last edited by Anirudh; 26 September 2016 at 04:45 PM.
    Anirudh...

Vannakkam:

Yes of course you can call yourself Hindu. All kinds of western converts and adoptives do with no problems whatsoever. In fact, I see no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Dear Friends,

This question may have been answered already, but I want to ask it anyway. So, can I call myself a "Hindu?" I am an American, raised Catholic, but left the Church when I was in high school. I discovered yoga and Hinduism in college and I have been practicing sadhana for forty years! I have visited Mother India three times and am going again this year. I have had and been initiated by two gurus. The first Shri Shri Anandamurti in the 1970s, one of whose acharyas gave me my spiritual name. And now, my sadguru, Ma Indira Devi, no longer in her body, of Pune. I feel I can happily call myself a yogi and a sadhaka but can I call myself Hindu? For example, some guidebooks say that only "Hindus" can enter certain temples. (I've never encountered a temple that did not welcome me inside so far.) Luckily I am olive skinned with dark hair and blend in well enough in India. All teachers and all the people of India have always been so welcoming and friendly and willing to share their wisdom with me. And I've been welcomed with open arms by the devotees of my guru's ashram.
    Namaste and Jai Guru!
    Mahendra
    Namaste Mahendra, I understand your feelings as I am a western Hindu.
    So far I have been only questioned once. To that person I simply stated that I wholeheartedly embraced Sanata Dharm. That way if someone wants to tell me I am not "pure Hindu" they are only addressing my birth ethnicity but no one can take away from me my philosophical adaptation and most heartfelt beliefs. However I am active at my temple and people seemingly have accepted me without any doubts. I too have brown skin and blend in until I speak - Western - all the way. However I am taking Hindi and really trying hard NOT to be considered an other. Your story parallels mine so much that I just had to write. Also former Catholic. I first discovered yoga several years ago, and wanting to learn more about the spiritual aspect of it led me to Hinduism, which I discovered holds as beliefs what I always believed anyway.

Hope this helps you are certainly not alone
    Namaste
    Mystic Soul
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Thread Information