Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What were the gods of the Indus Valley Civilization?

Re: What were the gods of the Indus Valley Civilization?

Namaste Rakosky,

My study on recent researches made on DNAs of North Indians and South Indians makes me believe that all Indians share same ancestry. The Aryan Invasion Theory propagated by the invading Europeans has already done a big harm to Indian psyche. We Indians are not at all interested in hearing such theories any more as being posted by you here in the name of your "research work" (which is mostly based on your assumptions) on the "world's one of the oldest civilization" which tries to drive wedge among our being One family.

If you want to find out what separates one community from others like what you want to do for Dravidians and Aryans by intelligently using words like "suppose"/"Guess" etc., please do it for your own people in your own country. My all best wishes to you for this. Please spare us. We are spiritual people and we discuss spiritual matters here. If you have anything to ask or contribute on that aspect, you are welcome here.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste

how the developments of Hinduism happened from the Indus period up to medieval times.
    It is very difficult to explain because the question in itself is not correct. Veda is eternal and Sriman Naaraayan is no different from Veda. So how can we find differences or developments when there is no change? Hindus don't perceive spirituality using a period based spectacle. Hope you have got your answers.

Thanks.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Rakosky,

My study on recent researches made on DNAs of North Indians and South Indians makes me believe that all Indians share same ancestry. The Aryan Invasion Theory propagated by the invading Europeans has already done a big harm to Indian psyche. We Indians are not at all interested in hearing such theories any more as being posted by you here in the name of your "research work" (which is mostly based on your assumptions) on the "world's one of the oldest civilization" which tries to drive wedge among our being One family.

If you want to find out what separates one community from others like what you want to do for Dravidians and Aryans by intelligently using words like "suppose"/"Guess" etc., please do it for your own people in your own country. My all best wishes to you for this. Please spare us. We are spiritual people and we discuss spiritual matters here. If you have anything to ask or contribute on that aspect, you are welcome here.

OM
    :

Indeed! I too have done a lot of reading, trying to keep an open mind, but always arrive at conclusions similar to yours. Besides, now is now, not then. Sadhana is still necessary for the soul.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vannakkam Devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    :
    Indeed! I too have done a lot of reading, trying to keep an open mind, but always arrive at conclusions similar to yours. Besides, now is now, not then. Sadhana is still necessary for the soul.
    Well said, EM ! "now is now, not then" ! ===> Let us deal with "today" that we have. Unless there is a problem with our "today" why break our head with "past" and that too with assumptions / hypothesis etc. ?? What connects us is more important than what separates us. Let's focus on that.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Rakosky,

My study on recent researches made on DNAs of North Indians and South Indians makes me believe that all Indians share same ancestry.
    Namaste, Devotee!

What do you think of the claim by some scientists that there is such a thing as DNA "haplogroups", and that Indians belong to R1A, J, L, and R2 "haplogroups"?
    I have read papers by Indian scientists who come down on opposite sides of the "Aryan Invasion" theory and who talk about these "haplogroups".

We Indians are not at all interested in hearing such theories any more as being posted by you here in the name of your "research work" (which is mostly based on your assumptions) on the "world's one of the oldest civilization" which tries to drive wedge among our being One family.

OM
    I value your contributions, your spirituality, your views on these questions and theories. You are a big part of my "research"!
    Thank you.
    Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste
    It is very difficult to explain because the question in itself is not correct. Veda is eternal and Sriman Naaraayan is no different from Veda. So how can we find differences or developments when there is no change? Hindus don't perceive spirituality using a period based spectacle.
    Thanks.
    Sure, Vedas teach timeless truths. However, what do you think about claims that there are Hindu concepts or terms that are written in the times after the Vedas?

For example, a key term in prayer and theology is "Ishvara", the Lord. Wikipedia claims that this term is not in Rigveda as meaning God:
    As a concept, Ishvara in ancient and medieval Sanskrit texts, variously means God, Supreme Being, Supreme Soul, lord, king or ruler, rich or wealthy man, god of love, deity Shiva, one of the Rudras, prince, husband and the number eleven.

The word Īśvara never appears in Rigveda.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishvara#Etymology

I read a claim on the HinduWebsite that the title of Trimurti is in Upanishads, but not in the Vedas:
    In the Vedas we do not find any reference to the concept of Trinity. During the Rigvedic period, Vishnu was a minor solar deity, while Shiva was almost unknown. The Rigvedic hymns speak of Rudra, a fierce god of the skies.
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/hindutrinity.asp

Personally for me though, Brahma would be one of the gods who would be most important.

Oh well. Like you said, Vedas have timeless truths. So really one question I would need to ask is whether it's true that some gods or divine concepts are not mentioned in the Vedas directly and instead were explained at some different time, before or after the Vedas.

Hari Om!

Devotee Ji,

Have followed this thread carefully and fully agree with what you have written in your first post on this page. Not certain why it has taken this long but thank-you none the less. You are always appreciated!

This of course implies no disrespect to Rakosky whom may only be misguided.

Om

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

svāgata

rakovsky writes,
    a key term in prayer and theology is "Ishvara", the Lord. Wikipedia claims that this term is not in Rigveda as meaning God:

I have a different view on this matter... if one was unaware (wikipedia) that the veda-s used to be one, then a thought may arise that īśvara could be ‘missing’.
    Yet let's look into this.

We are told in the viṣṇu purāṇa ( and again in the vāyu purāṇa) book 3, chapter 4 by none other than the sage parāśara-ji that it was his son kṛṣṇa dvaipāyana, known as veda-vyāsa, that divided up the veda. Not only that, he said veda-vyāsa is the 28th vyāsa ( compiler, some say ‘splitter’); hence this division occurred 27 times before, each occurring in the dvāpara age, and also done by parāśara-ji. The veda was one, with 4 portions in it. It was then separated into 4 ~books~.

Many times ( I hope) the reader has also bumped into the name trayīvidyā when talking of the veda i.e. the trayī , the triple veda. That of ṛg, sāma, and yajus. The recitation of hymns or ṛg (the rik’s as they sometimes called), performing sacrifices or yajña (yajur), and chanting of verses (sāma). All working together. The hymns in the
    ṛg veda feed the sāma, and yajus veda's.

So what is the implication here?
    Finding īśvara is not too hard.
    • īśvara = master, lord, Supreme Being. It comes from īśa which is powerful, supreme. I will save the reader from more grammar rules on how it becomes īśvara.

Yet where is an example of finding this in the veda-s? None other than the īśāvāsya upaniṣad, of only 18 śloka-s ( + śānti pāṭha introduction). It talks of the fullness of life and the fruition of life that one can enjoy this fullness. And where do we find this īśāvāsya upaniṣad? It forms part of the mantra-s ( some like to call verses or pādaḥ) or saṁhitā section of the yajur-veda; it is the 40th and final chapter.

Are there more examples? Yes, but again will spare the reader.

One last note:
    We know īśvara = Supreme Being = Brahman = oṁ ( some like aum, others prefer ॐ).

To suggest īśa is not in the veda-s is to suggest there is no water in the ocean.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Very nice Blog...good information, thanx for sharing

Thumbs Up Re: What were the gods of the Indus Valley Civilization?

Namaste Yajvan!
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

svāgata

rakovsky writes,

I have a different view on this matter... if one was unaware (wikipedia) that the veda-s used to be one, then a thought may arise that īśvara could be ‘missing’.
    Yet let's look into this.

We are told in the viṣṇu purāṇa ( and again in the vāyu purāṇa) book 3, chapter 4 by none other than the sage parāśara-ji that it was his son kṛṣṇa dvaipāyana, known as veda-vyāsa, that divided up the veda. Not only that, he said veda-vyāsa is the 28th vyāsa ( compiler, some say ‘splitter’); hence this division occurred 27 times before, each occurring in the dvāpara age, and also done by parāśara-ji. The veda was one, with 4 portions in it. It was then separated into 4 ~books~.

Many times ( I hope) the reader has also bumped into the name trayīvidyā when talking of the veda i.e. the trayī , the triple veda. That of ṛg, sāma, and yajus. The recitation of hymns or ṛg (the rik’s as they sometimes called), performing sacrifices or yajña (yajur), and chanting of verses (sāma). All working together. The hymns in the
    ṛg veda feed the sāma, and yajus veda's.

So what is the implication here?

I understand you to be saying that the Vedas used to be one and then were divided into 4 books, and also that there is the Triple Veda - sacrifices, hymns/rigs, and chanting.

What I suppose you want to imply is that just as the Vedas on the outside could look divided, so too could "Ishvara" could look missing if the term is not there.
    But in reality Vedas are united at the conceptual level and Ishvara is there in the conceptual leve.

Did I understand you correctly?

(Me drinking some nice chai in my mind)

Finding īśvara is not too hard.
    • īśvara = master, lord, Supreme Being. It comes from īśa which is powerful, supreme. I will save the reader from more grammar rules on how it becomes īśvara.

Yet where is an example of finding this in the veda-s?

I see that you can find this, meaning the concept of Ishvara, the Supreme Being, at times when it talks about the Supreme Being or describes such a being.

None other than the īśāvāsya upaniṣad, of only 18 śloka-s ( + śānti pāṭha introduction). It talks of the fullness of life and the fruition of life that one can enjoy this fullness. And where do we find this īśāvāsya upaniṣad? It forms part of the mantra-s ( some like to call verses or pādaḥ) or saṁhitā section of the yajur-veda; it is the 40th and final chapter.
    Thanks for sharing.

Are there more examples? Yes, but again will spare the reader.
    Feel free to share one or two more.

Peace.

Thread Information