Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From a 'dharmic' stand-point, what is 'Unity in Diversity'?

Re: From a 'dharmic' stand-point, what is 'Unity in Diversity'?

Namaste Viraja

This is a different culture, different mental-makeup, different karma and different rules -- you cannot and should not expect everyone to be like you. If they act in one way, their role-models and their society is made-up that way and they are the ones who face consequences - not you or I. So let us not talk about them!
    What you precisely have said is when you are in Rome be a Roman, so where is Unity in Diversity? Am i missing something here?

If that is University in diversity, then every one is. Even in a single person, there are multiple stand points which differ among themselves.

Hindus are tolerant than others and we feel very proud about it. I agree.

Since you understand Tamil it reminds me a funny clip. No offense intended, hope you get the message. Enjoy

Ha haa... me and my husband believe in vastly different things from you... we are total believers of 'Unity in Diversity'.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Viraja

What you precisely have said is when you are in Rome be a Roman, so where is Unity in Diversity? Am i missing something here?
    Anirudh ji,

No, you got me wrong. Nowhere I said, "While in Rome, be a Roman". I am saying, "Be it Rome or India, be Indian, but don't criticize Romans (or any others). If you need clarification, pl. read my reply to EM ji.

Since you understand Tamil it reminds me a funny clip. No offense intended, hope you get the message. Enjoy

No, I don't get your message. What is that funny clip, may be you can share? That way, I will try to understand what you are saying better.

Thank you,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

To all who are interested in this thread:

I just want to share my thoughts/feelings as such for further interrogation and pondering:

Why am I saying, "be Indian but do not criticize others"?

1. To me, as an Indian, there are role-models who acted in a specific way, for example, Sita, Ahalya, and so on... I am exposed to them right from childhood, and given to admiring their moral values. So to me, it feels appropriate to follow them.

(But I understand perhaps others of different culture, have their own role models, who show them a different path... but still are good people for them to follow?)

2. My religion, being Hinduism, shows me the importance of brahmacharya, chastity, purity, etc. to ascend spiritually.

(Perhaps in other religions, they might have other standards, such as charity, stressed more.... or maybe they have different spiritual goals altogether? What to understand here is that, what is stressed to me, in my religion, may not be what is stressed to others, of other religion and culture).

3. My society, Hindu society in India, does not accept me to culturally be different from them.

(Perhaps other societies and cultures are different, so people act differently?)

And many more such factors....

JUST FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Thank you,

Viraja

Namaste Viraja,

Click the link in my previous post.

If you haven't got the message, leave it aside. Not interested to turn this into an unwanted discussion.

Thanks for the reply.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    To all who are interested in this thread:

I just want to share my thoughts/feelings as such for further interrogation and pondering:

Why am I saying, "be Indian but do not criticize others"?

1. To me, as an Indian, there are role-models who acted in a specific way, for example, Sita, Ahalya, and so on... I am exposed to them right from childhood, and given to admiring their moral values. So to me, it feels appropriate to follow them.

(But I understand perhaps others of different culture, have their own role models, who show them a different path... but still are good people for them to follow?)

2. My religion, being Hinduism, shows me the importance of brahmacharya, chastity, purity, etc. to ascend spiritually.

(Perhaps in other religions, they might have other standards, such as charity, stressed more.... or maybe they have different spiritual goals altogether? What to understand here is that, what is stressed to me, in my religion, may not be what is stressed to others, of other religion and culture).

3. My society, Hindu society in India, does not accept me to culturally be different from them.

(Perhaps other societies and cultures are different, so people act differently?)

And many more such factors....

JUST FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Thank you,

Viraja
    Very well summarised, Viraja !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~
    svāgata te

Please be aware that unity in diversity is not a religious belief, concept or notion, but a direct personal experience that unfolds.
    To 'preach' it is to be it , and not one word need be spoken. The 'speech' of this most blessed state is mauna (silence).

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Viraja,

If you haven't got the message, leave it aside. Not interested to turn this into an unwanted discussion.

Thanks for the reply.
    No, Anirudh ji.

I'm actually interested in any input or feedback. Need not necessarily conform to my views I stated here.

This thread summarizes what I feel (or rather would like to feel) but it need not necessarily be a preaching of standards to anyone. Where I am wrong, I would like to learn. I'm open for anything contradicting to my views, in essence.

Thank you,

Viraja
    Last edited by Viraja; 13 October 2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~
    svāgata te

Please be aware that unity in diversity is not a religious belief, concept or notion, but a direct personal experience that unfolds.
    To 'preach' it is to be it , and not one word need be spoken. The 'speech' of this most blessed state is mauna (silence).

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    Very nice explanation
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Very well summarised, Viraja !

OM
    Thank you, Devotee ji.

Namaste Viraja,

Thanks for the reply.
    I listened to the comedy clip.

To me, it seems like you are suggesting Hinduism and perhaps, Indians, have been mishandled, misrepresented, vandalized by so many, being called 'benevolent' all the time. That maybe we Hindus take a lot of nonsense under the pressure to preserve our identity to be 'benevolent'.

Please know that this is beyond the scope of this thread, as the subject is very large.

But let me tell you that I am not suggesting, we should let others vandalize us. I am saying, let us stand up for who we are, our rights to exist, our rights to contribute to the world our unique thoughts, but let us not misrepresent others in the process.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Viraja; 13 October 2016 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information