Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viraja's 101

Re: Viraja's 101

Namaste Devotee

Although I differ with you in the non dual philosophy, must say, you have given detailed explanation to all of the points raised by Viraja... On a another day, was listening to a discourse, the speaker/preacher made a lot of emphasis on the importance of teacher and how we are indefinitely to our teachers. In Tamil there is a saying which roughly translates as knowledge giver is equivalent to God.

I always feel indebted to HDF and members like you although I differ with you in the chosen path. I would request you to undertake a project that address the vices seen in youth these days especially their orientation towards obscenity in thoughts plus actions, patriotism and religious moral. I don't want to sound like a dinosaur or a born Mr White, but, it is a dangerous and alarming trend. Mind you, these people are going to represent India another 10 to 20 years down the lane. Some time ago, EM had shared a writeup about controlling anger. That was a good effort, but targeting non Indian audience.

One person can not change every thing, but based on my personal experiences, convinced that change starts from one person at a time. No one would have thought Sri Modi will make the most number of trips to US when his viza applications were rejected. If you think I am over reacting, please ask 20 people in the age group of 20 and 25 whether they would join the armed forces or will take a single spouse vow. You will know the gravity of the problem.

Post 29th Sep, one can observe a focused and committed effort to sully Hinduism in the internet domain. I ll write more on the subject later.

@ Viraja: if you think my post deviating the course of the thread shall create a new thread.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 21 October 2016 at 07:12 PM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Anirudh,

I have nearly four years more left before retirement. After that, I have plans to engage in social service. I am not sure what exactly would come out but at this moment, my idea is to focus my time and energy for upliftment of the poor in our society along with my Sadhana. What you are suggesting is a huge task and already a number of organisations are working in that direction but in my opinion, this situation has arisen due to not giving due importance to these values during school days. In our blind pursuit towards secularism, we treated all our scriptures as useless. I fail to understand why Bhagwad Gita or the stories from PurANas cannot be taught to the children when they are still young. But that is a big political issue. The earlier Govt have done much harm in this direction and the result is before all of us today.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Devotee,

I do reach out to all the people in my circle of influence, though it is an insignificant effort, seeing positive results. I will post a separate thread with my opinion, lets start some where like making a repository of myth breakers...
    Anirudh...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

If one is looking for guidance on ‘how many’ Supreme-s there might be, we can find our support within the bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣat (bṛhát + araṇyaka + upaniṣad). The bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣat's greatness is due to its attention on Brahman and its exhaustive views and profundity on the subject. It is considered in size one of the largest upaniṣad-s ( along with the chāndogya upaniṣad).

So, look to the seer (ṛṣi) yājñavalkya and the yājñavalkya kanda ( section) within the bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣat. There is one chapter , the śākalya brāhmaṇa ( 9th section of the 3rd chapter or kanda – this is the yājñavalkya kanda section) where a question amongst many is asked of yājñavalkya-ji.
    In this section the son of śākalya¹, vidagha, asks yājñavalkya-ji How many devā (lit. shining ones, heavenly) are there ? Here you will find the answer to how many... I will ask the HDF reader to pursue this as they see fit.

Yet, one will ask yajvan, what weight should one give to the seer (ṛṣi) yājñavalkya? He was the teacher of the vājasaneyi-saṃhitā or white yajur-veda , that was revealed to him ; also the author of a celebrated code of laws , which is only second in importance to that of manu. ALso the author of the yoga-yājñavalkya ( 12 chapters, 504 verses); Let alone his work/offer to the Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa¹ ( the brāhmaṇa of 100 parts)

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

terms

• sthavira śākalya - an ancient grammarian and teacher, held to be the arranger of the padapāṭha text of the ṛg-veda
    • The section vājasaneyi mādhyandina śākhā wthin the Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa is due to its origin being ascribed to the seer yājñavalkya vājasaneya we are discussion and whose opinions are considered authoritative.
    • bṛhadāraṇyaka is :
      • bṛhad = bṛhát बृहत्= extended or bright, full grown, great. This is also a noun for Brahman. It is sometimes written vṛhat. Yet know matter it brings to mind great , large , wide , vast , abundant , strong & mighty .
      • āraṇyaka अरण्यक - forest.
      • So combined we have the bṛhát + araṇyaka , the Great forest book , upaniṣad
      • Yet why call it the great forest book? Some say it’s the book one takes during the specific āśrama ( halting place ) stage of life when there is retirement to the forest (araṇyaka); Others say due to it vastness (bṛhát) that is contained in this body of knowledge, it covers all the items of life ( the full forest). Since this book is much to do with Brahman, having it for a āśrama ( halting place ) also suggests a place that removes the fatigue of worldliness and hence the value of this book's wisdom.

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Devotee ji,

Owing to some personal career-related issues, I took time to read your great reply. I was truly impressed (and humbled). They make complete sense to me, as you have backed up everything with scriptural references and I stand corrected on many issues.

BTW: By 'supreme gods', I tried to distinguish between deities such as 'grama devatas' (village deities) such as Karuppannasaamy, Kathavaraayan, etc, who are said to be quite wrathful... whereas by supreme gods, I meant to mark a distinction in their attitude which in my understanding, is filled with benevolence always.

I am truly indebted for your replies.

Thank you,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Yajvan ji,

I'm wondering, upon reading your reply above, if there are 33 crore (33,0000000) devatas (supreme gods) are in there in the upper worlds.

I will be most interested in further knowing clarifications as revealed by Yajnavalkya muni, if any.

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information