Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need spiritual help

Need spiritual help

Namaste,

For gaining wealth, we have great stothras like Kanakadhaara stotra.... and prayers to ma Lakshmi.

For health, we have great prayers like Narayaneeyam and Aditya Hridayam.... and worship Narayana and Shri Rama.

For gaining courage and valor, we recite Hanuman Chalisa... and worship Hanuman ji.

Like that,

who do I worship for gaining personality benefits.... like getting rid of jealousy and egotism?

which stotra is especially tailored for reaping these personality boons....?

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Need spiritual help

Hello
    I would start with Lord Ganesha. He is our aid in new adventures. A personality remake is that of sorts. I ask him to assist me in my personal weakness of which there are many. I also call upon Lord Shiva who I feel is the master of self control. I am sure others will have deepes answers but hope this helps a little

Sincerely
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Hello
    I would start with Lord Ganesha. He is our aid in new adventures. A personality remake is that of sorts. I ask him to assist me in my personal weakness of which there are many. I also call upon Lord Shiva who I feel is the master of self control. I am sure others will have deepes answers but hope this helps a little

Sincerely
    Sure, thank you very much MS ji!

Namaste Viraj,

This may sound as though it comes across as a bit harsh, when in fact its not. Its a very worthy insight and most crucial to see the hindrances to self realization, jealousy and ego being some of the prime ones. Mantras and stotras do work, I have felt it and recite them often, mostly though they seem to be more tantric or mantras that have the most effect if one is in some state of samadhi or deep dhayna, not as something that in and of itself will take away the hindrances, if it was that easy then all we would need to do is listen to a few hours of that sound vibration, I see the mantras and the invocations mostly at the initial level is raising of vibration, they lift the vibration of the mind to a more clear state or a calm state or more positive, stable state for deeper contemplation, but that is not the end, there would still be work to be done, the mantra or verses then become one of deeper contemplation within that raised vibration field which it would have created by sound vibration sabda.

What would accompany this is insight into the nature of the hindrances, some type of contemplation of what happens when these attributes arise in the mind, seeing the conditions that make these rise and the conditions that abate and help reduce and finally eliminate them for good, its a battle of wits and intelligence with a strongly raised energy level and concentrated will, this for me is where mantra comes in, to raise the levels of energy and a certain type of concentration, mantra alone has never really done all the work, it needs more, some type of consciousness skill.

My take on this is that even if someone gave the magic mantra, the secret formula, the right words that hits the note, if there is no insight into the nature of the hindrances then they wont shift. What I am noticing more is that in Kali Yuga times, everything is external, go to temple give donation get rich, say some prayers and it fixes my conditions and I live more happy with better conditions in this life, all is temporary and external. The temporal nature or phenomena weather good or bad is uncertain and will ultimately let us down, there is no refuge in the conditions, they are too unstable, that flux is absolute, it wont change, if we see this then nothing to jealous of, if we are jealous that someone else is doing better than us, then whats the point, the conditions of that success can change in an instant then that person may become an object of ones compassion if they fail, I think the word ego is very detrimental in the way its used in modern language, as if we are not supposed to have one or its bad, it just means identity, that identity can be positive and can aspire to the highest state where the state of individual self just drops off naturally, I have concluded that the ego drops off naturally when the vibration is higher and consciousness finds its real source, why would it hold onto a shadow and less illumined limited condition.

Sorry I did not add any magic formula, but for the magic formula to work there has to be a a certain quality of consciousness to receive, and that comes via insight into the nature of phenomena or the nature of the hindrances, once they are seen clearly then they drop by themself and replaced with what is worthy.

MD ji,

I understand your point - as you have stated thoroughly, perceiving the root cause of our pitfalls and trying to counter those thoughts is important.

But, other than that, I respectfully disagree that mantras cannot do magic.

See, mother Mahalakshmi has been termed as 'sthuthi priyai' (one who cherishes mantras recited on her name) -- This reference is from Lakshmi Narayana Hridayam that I am reciting everyday.

Lord Shiva has been termed 'abhisheka priyan' (one who cherishes ritualistic baths).

Lord Vishnu has been termed 'alangaara priyan' (one who cherishes being decorated).

So, as you see, different behavior pleases even the supreme godhead and we definitely can earn their blessings to counter our negatives by doing activities that pleases them, is it not?

Also, secondly, there are very powerful 'bija' or 'seed mantras' attuned to the worship of each deity that bring about what you have stated in essence - a powerful vibrational and magnetic field that can bring about major changes in us over time. Similarly, certain stothras are termed 'rahasya' (secret and sacred) which once we recite, can bring tremendous changes in ourselves in all ways!!

I agree we need to approach scientifically too to tackle a problem, but not everything is confined within science! This is my humble take on it.

Namaste Viraj

I agree with everything you have said, I didnt touch to much on the divine powers that these scared mantras do have, but I was more pointing to that its the quality of consciousness that will support the true power of these mantras and not asking them to do the work for us, how would that align with nishkam karm, there is a subtle and rational side too, that makes these practices less abstract, what would be the result of the practice or stotra, it would be insight, if the nature of jealously and ego is seen with insight, or illumined knowing then they loose power, this insight is gained in meditation, why would not one of the stotras and Kavachas not have enough power in themselves, why so many, when the truth can be understood even by one or two syllables, these are just questions, when that natural insight arises then wouldnt it make these chants more divine more empowering, not just for ridding the lower conditions that bind us but to enliven our essence, I see the whole of Sanatana Dharma culture as a pure ancient culture of one of Prakash, Deva, Surya, Dharshan, , forgive my illiteracy, its all illuminating things of cosmic grandeur all in light of experience, which ultimately shows the Absolute, where can jealously and ego stand/ Guru Gorak Ji says that the the yogis abode is only the the constant unfoldment of prakash, so I see these strotras and shastra as Prakash and that in itself will deal with the kilesha.

I would not consider that the names of Krsna, Vishnu and Shiva are any different from their Being. I fully approach all related shastras as Sabda Brahma, but there is a junction of seeing them as profits for external conditions rather than going deeper into self realization. The power of the Deity would give rise to a faculty of consciousness and that should hold some natural insight, then from that further growth.

I think this area is a touchy subject, I understand the divinity in the external worship, I do it myself, and also as something that deeply transforms, its just maybe a little slow to work on me.

If you go on youtube they can have mantras for all sorts of things, it becomes commercial and gradually looses its true divinity, not saying to go to youtube just generally speaking.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello,

markandeya 108 dasa writes,

all is temporary and external. The temporal nature or phenomena weather good or bad is uncertain and will ultimately let us down, there is no refuge in the conditions, they are too unstable, that flux is absolute, it wont change, if we see this then nothing to jealous of, if we are jealous that someone else is doing better than us, then whats the point, the conditions of that success can change in an instant
    I think this is spot-on.
    The human condition is that of outward experience... there must be a subject and an object. The subject for many is this ego and is outward facing. Over time (again and again) we are ~ conditioned~ to face outwards. Then one says your real nature is that of SELF, Being, Silence. The human then says yes, were do I find it where ( out there) is it ? Then we are told look within. This too causes a conundrum because we’re still looking for some ‘thing’. We are looking for something to hold and inspect. We even look at thoughts, at the mind, the intellect , where is that SELF in here? Which one is it? It is none of these as it is not found in the field of change. The field of change as markandeya 108 dasa says is external. Even thoughts are external to Self, Being, Silence.

So why mention this? This field of change is where the ego resides. It expands, it ‘eats’ experiences , even jealousy. It cares not what is for dinner as long as it is fed.

So now the question.... to whom is this jealousy (asūyā¹) occurring? Well, me. Who is this me? Therein lies the problem. If ‘me’ is the part that is external to SELF it then comes and goes. Is that 'you' ?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. asūyā - envy , jealousy ; displeasure , indignation especially at the merits or the happiness of another
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello,

rāmaṇa mahaṛṣi offers the following regarding mantrāḥ ( this is the plural form, like ‘mantra’s’ in English)

A King visited his Premier in his residence. There he was told that the Premier was engaged in repetition of sacred syllables (japa). The King waited for him and, on meeting him, asked what the japa was.
    The Premier said that it was the holiest of all, gayatri. The King desired to be initiated by the Premier but the Premier confessed his inability to initiate him. Therefore the King learned it from someone else, and meeting the Minister later he repeated the gayatri and wanted to know if it was right.
    The Minister said that the mantra was correct, but it was not proper for him to say it. When pressed for an explanation, the Minister called to a page close by and ordered him to take hold of the King. The order was not obeyed. The order was often repeated, and still not obeyed. The King flew into a rage and ordered the same man to hold the Premier, and it was immediately done. The Premier laughed and said that the incident was the explanation required by the King. “How?” asked the King.
    The Minister replied, “The order was the same and the executor ( the page) also, but the authority was different. When I ordered, the effect was nil, whereas, when you ordered, there was immediate effect. Similarly with mantras.”

from 'Talks With Ramana Maharisi'

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan ji,

That is a profound message in that story you have given from 'Talks with Ramana Maharisi'.

Nevertheless, I am a very simple-minded person who believes that profound faith when reciting stotras and mantras is what makes them effective in the first place, and by virtue of god, I have that (faith).

But that being set aside, I have also heard that as per Jyotish too, if one's mantra-bhava (and poorva punya sthana), the 5th house and planet Jupiter are strong, one can have or expect their spiritual practices to fructify faster than those not having this combination. That kinda cross-validates to me the message in your story.

When my sister was ailing from some mysterious foot-related chronic pain which doctors couldn't treat properly, I prayed on her behalf for 108 days with full faith to Sri Ramachandra and Hanuman, and her ailment that spanned several 'years', mysteriously disappeared!

Like this I have few instances to cite. Therefore my faith and trust.

Thank you,

Viraja
    Last edited by Viraja; 03 November 2016 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste Viraj

I agree with everything you have said, I didnt touch to much on the divine powers that these scared mantras do have, but I was more pointing to that its the quality of consciousness that will support the true power of these mantras and not asking them to do the work for us, how would that align with nishkam karm, there is a subtle and rational side too, that makes these practices less abstract, what would be the result of the practice or stotra, it would be insight, if the nature of jealously and ego is seen with insight, or illumined knowing then they loose power, this insight is gained in meditation, why would not one of the stotras and Kavachas not have enough power in themselves, why so many, when the truth can be understood even by one or two syllables, these are just questions, when that natural insight arises then wouldnt it make these chants more divine more empowering, not just for ridding the lower conditions that bind us but to enliven our essence, I see the whole of Sanatana Dharma culture as a pure ancient culture of one of Prakash, Deva, Surya, Dharshan, , forgive my illiteracy, its all illuminating things of cosmic grandeur all in light of experience, which ultimately shows the Absolute, where can jealously and ego stand/ Guru Gorak Ji says that the the yogis abode is only the the constant unfoldment of prakash, so I see these strotras and shastra as Prakash and that in itself will deal with the kilesha.

I would not consider that the names of Krsna, Vishnu and Shiva are any different from their Being. I fully approach all related shastras as Sabda Brahma, but there is a junction of seeing them as profits for external conditions rather than going deeper into self realization. The power of the Deity would give rise to a faculty of consciousness and that should hold some natural insight, then from that further growth.

I think this area is a touchy subject, I understand the divinity in the external worship, I do it myself, and also as something that deeply transforms, its just maybe a little slow to work on me.

If you go on youtube they can have mantras for all sorts of things, it becomes commercial and gradually looses its true divinity, not saying to go to youtube just generally speaking.
    Oh,

MD ji,

You have written a lot without sentence break (a compound sentence) and I am having trouble understanding that.

After reading many times, it seemed like you are saying that self-knowledge gained through practices such as meditation aid in the process of eradicating one's evils and that they empower stotras.

While I agree with you, let me tell you an example to convey my truest perception in this regard.

Sometime back I posted in a thread that god values a devotee as a 'person' first before appreciating his or her devotion to himself. Anirudh ji of our forum said, he had heard that differently! This made me think about it and then I remembered, I have read many times that even if a morbid sinner worships god, (Ref: Ajamila) knowingly or unknowingly, by the power of the divine, his mental-makeup will undergo transformation in the long run! It all depends on gaining god's benevolent grace on us!

So seeing that way, you may see, that mantras and kavachas/stotras -----> yield or lead to desired changes and it need be that personality changes -------------> yield mantras effective.

Do you agree?

In any case, it is not possible to convince me out of my search for an effective stotra/mantra to recite to bring about personality changes I am seeking ;-) :-).

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Viraja

Thread Information