Thread: Mantra chanting for other!

Mantra chanting for other!

Namaste all!
    I want to chant Mahamrityunjaya Mantra (with beej mantras) for someone (for healing purpose), so to tell God that I am chanting this Mantra for this person before commencing chanting is enough or I have to different things?
    What things or precautions I have to take before and during chanting?
    Please help
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Re: Mantra chanting for other!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello,

Where in this grand universe does one blade of grass move without His knowing?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello,

Where in this grand universe does one blade of grass move without His knowing?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    Thanx Yajvan ji,
    Right.. he knows everything. And he told me to do that and show me this path of sadhna..
    Everything will happen according to his will
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste,

I have a basic philosophical difference with the notion of praying for others. In Hinduism, we reap the rewards of our own past and present actions/karma. How does somebody else praying for me benefit me? It really is a xitian tradition. Of course nothing is lost in praying for others to make us feel that we are contributing towards the eradication of someone's misery. But at philosophical level, does it really help? Do we really believe that?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I have a basic philosophical difference with the notion of praying for others. In Hinduism, we reap the rewards of our own past and present actions/karma. How does somebody else praying for me benefit me? It really is a xitian tradition. Of course nothing is lost in praying for others to make us feel that we are contributing towards the eradication of someone's misery. But at philosophical level, does it really help? Do we really believe that?

Pranam.
    Believer ji,

Namaste! Yes it works. I have prayed for my sister's health for 108 days and it worked miracle earlier.

This idea may originate from the concept of 'being about to transfer one's merit to another'. For instance, Lord Krishna asks for all merits from Karna be donated to him at the time of Karna's death which he does.

So also, in another story - the story of Nambaduvaan of Kaisika Mahatmya, when a demon insists on eating Nambaduvan, he submits himself after returning from temple. Surprised, the demon realizes Nambaduvan's spiritual glory and asks for some of his punya or merit instead. When Nambaduvan eventually does so, the demon is freed from his demonic status and ascends to heaven!

Also you can read in the story of Srimad Bhagawatha Sapthaham, similar to Nambaduvan story above, when someone recites Bhagawatham for 7 consequetive days and donate the results to another soul trapped in pretha shareera (demonic body), the soul eventually was freed from its demonic clutches!

This concept therefore shows us that merits or punya earned by one via spiritual practices or meritorious deeds can be transferred to another, to redeem them of their sufferings.

This is my take on it, may be I am wrong somewhere. Very interesting question!

PS: Sorry to Soul of Light, never intended to hijack your thread. Will delete my reply if thought so.

Thanks,

Viraja
    Last edited by Viraja; 07 November 2016 at 12:43 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Pranam.
    Namaste Belieber ji.. Thanx for reply.. I understand your point..
    But here my thinking is different,
    Going in philosophy if we go much deeper then I can answer this like-
    Is Other really exist? Nothing everyone is same? So helping other (which is also a part of self) here seem to fit in Hinduism..

Actually I am not experienced enough to tell you but I can share my views.
    I haven't did it before.. the person for whom I am going to do this is close to me and suffering from many many years.. and I always felt that this suffering should gone but I haven't thought about doing anything like this.. but suddenly some days before it came from inside me that I have to do this, and belief that this will benefit this person and me also (as I am not used to do any sadhna, this sadhna will also help me in other future sadhna or meditation as it will give me habit to sit very long time at one place)
    So I don't know whether it will really work or not. But I have feeling that I have to do and it will work..

Mantra has power.. which uplifts you and surrounding and people there..
    I understand concept of karma.. what you sow will reap.. we don't have right to interrupt fruits of action of others and we don't have power too. But then sufferings will not end, Burning of seeds of karma will not happen!
    This pratiprasav (burning of seeds of karma) sometimes need trigger..

And I think Mantra is good way to help. it can affect at energy level and can bring changes in that energy and can help person to rise from ignorance..

And that's what Guru do, he Burns other people karmas, give shaktipat.. indeed we are not authorise and powerful like Guru but I want to say it's possible
    There is always one way to end sufferings and people can't see it due to ignorance.. helping others in any manner or by any means to show this way will finish their suffering if they walk on that way but we can't walk for them (as you said)

Also while thinking on this manner one thing also came in my mind, in Tantra their is some part about black magic and vashikaran (not sure)
    So if person can do rituals to harm others and it works then why can't he do things to help others and universe.. maybe this is the reason we are here. To become dasa of God and help others without the feeling of doer..

Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Believer ji,

Namaste! Yes it works. I have prayed for my sister's health for 108 days and it worked miracle earlier.

This idea may originate from the concept of 'being about to transfer one's merit to another'. For instance, Lord Krishna asks for all merits from Karna be donated to him at the time of Karna's death which he does.

So also, in another story - the story of Nambaduvaan of Kaisika Mahatmya, when a demon insists on eating Nambaduvan, he submits himself after returning from temple. Surprised, the demon realizes Nambaduvan's spiritual glory and asks for some of his punya or merit instead. When Nambaduvan eventually does so, the demon is freed from his demonic status and ascends to heaven!

This concept therefore shows us that merits or punya earned by one via spiritual practices or meritorious deeds can be transferred to another, to redeem them of their sufferings.

This is my take on it, may be I am wrong somewhere. Very interesting question!

PS: Sorry to Soul of Light, never intended to hijack your thread. Will delete my reply if thought so.

Thanks,

Viraja
    Namaste Viraj ji,

No Hijack.. you posted subject related matter.. and you are always welcome
    To add in your post, also lord Krishna donates his all punya to Parikshit to make him alive in uttaras womb
    Nice point of punya daan.. it reminded me of grames ji post in Dana thread. I was forget about that type of Dana actually.. thanks for reminding me..
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thread Information