Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sri Navgraha question..

Question Sri Navgraha question..

Namaste all!
    I have a question about the Sri Navrgraha(s). Out of the 9 Gods, 2 ( Sri Rahu, and Sri Ketu) are Asuras (not Devas). I have always thought the rest (7) grahas were Devas, but Sri Shukracharya seems to be the enemy of the Devas.. So my question is, is Sri Shukracharya an Asura or a Deva? Thank you!

Re: Sri Navgraha question..

Dear Chakreshvari

Find two sources regarding Shukra

From Mahabharata, Adi Parva
    The illustrious Bhrigu came out, ripping open the breast of Brahman. The learned Sukra is Bhrigu's son. And the learned Sukra becoming a planet and engaged according to the command of the Self-existent in pouring and withholding rain, and in dispensing and remitting calamities, traverses, for sustaining the lives of all the creatures in the three worlds, through the skies. And the learned Sukra, of great intelligence and wisdom, of rigid vows, leading the life of a Brahmacharin, divided himself in twain by power of asceticism, and became the spiritual guide of both the Daityas and the gods.
    http://www.mahabharataonline.com/translation/mahabharata_01067.php

More details and stories are provided here
    http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Shukra

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Dear Chakreshvari

Find two sources regarding Shukra

From Mahabharata, Adi Parva
    The illustrious Bhrigu came out, ripping open the breast of Brahman. The learned Sukra is Bhrigu's son. And the learned Sukra becoming a planet and engaged according to the command of the Self-existent in pouring and withholding rain, and in dispensing and remitting calamities, traverses, for sustaining the lives of all the creatures in the three worlds, through the skies. And the learned Sukra, of great intelligence and wisdom, of rigid vows, leading the life of a Brahmacharin, divided himself in twain by power of asceticism, and became the spiritual guide of both the Daityas and the gods.
    http://www.mahabharataonline.com/translation/mahabharata_01067.php

More details and stories are provided here
    http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Shukra

Pranam
    Namaste!
    Sorry, but Im still confused, from that information I still cannot understand if Sri Shukracharya is an Asura or a Deva?

Namaste

Shukra is neither a sura nor an asura who are children of Kashyapa.

He is the son of Bhrigu who is a son of Brahma.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Shukra is neither a sura nor an asura who are children of Kashyapa.

He is the son of Bhrigu who is a son of Brahma.

Pranam
    Namaste! That does not make sense to me, because not all Devas are from Kashyapa.. Sri Shiva, Sri Brahma, Sri Parvati and so many other Devas are not children of Kashyapa and they are still in the Deva class. I was thinking Sri Shukracharya were to be a Deva because I read that his sister is Sri Lakshmi Devi(that is why she favors her brothers day Shukravaar) , and she is in the Deva class, so how can Sri Shukracharya not be regarded as a Deva? But Sri Shukracharya is also the enemy of the Devas so how can he be a Deva himself then..

& also, why is Sri Shukracharya drawn with a Vaishnav tilak on his forehead, while he supposedly hates Sri Vishnu?

Namaste

My source are always Puranas and Mahabharata where the lineages are outlined clearly. What mythology and religion adapt are beautiful, exciting flowers ... you will always find discrepances.

I cannot help you further in these details you want to know. Sorry.

Pranam

Dear Chakreshvari

this website http://www.astrojyoti.com/puranasindex.htm shows condensed versions of all Puranas (except Bhagavad Purana, it is complete). Every purana contains the subject ‚creation‘, also insightful is the subject ‚samudra mantan‘. I can guarantee you an exciting trip.

Following only one extract from Kurma Purana.

12.4 Creation
    In the beginning, the brahman was everywhere. The brahman had no form, but nor was it without form. It had no beginning and no end. It had no traits, but nor was it without traits. The brahman is impossible to describe, sense or see.
    Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are derived from the brahman, Brahma performs the function of a creator, Vishnu that of a preserver and Shiva that of destroyer.
    When it was time for creation to begin, the brahman created water throughout the universe. Before that, there was nothing. In the water, there appeared a golden (hiranya) egg (anda). The egg grew in size and Brahma, the creator, appeared inside the egg. Everything that there is in the universe, was already there, in in embryonic form, inside the egg. There were gods, the demons humans, the sun, the moon, the stars, the planets and the wind. The word garbha means womb and since Brahma originated from inside a golden (hiranya) egg, he is known as Hiranyagarbha. Brahma was the first being to be created. He had four faces. He had no birth (janana) in the real sense of the term. He is therefore also referred to as Aja (without birth). It is also true that he created (bhuva) himself (svayam). It is because of this that Brahma is known as Svayambhu. Brahma was to be the lord (pati) of all the subjects who were going to be born (praja). Thus, Brahma acquired the name of Prajapati.
    12.7 Creation Continued
    Brahma first created five sons through his mental powers. Their names were Sanaka, Sanatana, Sanandana, Kratu and Sanatakumara These five sons became sages and did not have any offspring. Brahma therefore had to create some more beings so that the population of the universe might increase. But prior to that, he decided to perform tapasya. However, the meditation did not yield him any results and Brahma became very angry and disheartened. He started to weep and a teardrop fell on the ground. From this drop, there emerged Shiva.
    Brahma bowed before Shiva and said, “Please create some living beings.”
    This Shiva proceeded to do. But all the beings that Shiva created were mirror images of himself. That is, they were all immortal.
    “I beg your pardon,” retorted Shiva. “That I refuse to do. Old age and disease are not objects that should be sought after. In fact, they are evil. I flatly refuse to create such evil.”
    “All right then.” said Brahma. “I will take care of creation myself. Please stop creating.”
    The first objects that Brahma created were water, fire, the sky, heaven (svarga), wind, rivers, mountains, oceans, trees, herbs and time.
    Brahma next created eleven sons from his mental powers. Their names were Marichi, Bhrigu, Angira, Pulastya, Pulaha, Kratu, Daksha, Atri Vashishtha, Dharma and Sankalpa.
    (In the earlier section on varnashrama dharma, only nine sons were mentioned. Dharma and Sankalpa did not figure in that list.)
    Thereafter, Brahma created four classes of beings. These were gods, demons, ancestors (pitris) and humans. The demons were born from Brahma’s thighs, the gods from his mouth. The snakes (sarpa), the yakshas (demi-gods), the ghosts (bhuta) and the gandharvas were born next. Cows were born from Brahma’s stomach, and horses, elephants, donkeys, deer, camels and mules from his feet. Herbs and trees emerged from Brahma’s body-hair.
    (This account contradicts a more common account given in some of the other Puranas, such as the Bhagavata Purana. In the more usual account, all beings are descended from the sage Kashyapa. Kashyapa married thirteen of Daksha’s daughters. These daughters were named Aditi, Diti, Danu, Kashtha, Arishtha, Surasa, Ila, Muni, Krodhavasha, Tamra, Surabhi, Sarama and Timi. Aditi’s offspring were the gods (adityas), Diti’s the demons (daityas). Danu’s offspring were other demons (danavas), Kashtha’s children horses, Arishtha’s gandharvas, Surasa’s demons (rakshasas), Ila’s offspring trees and herbs,
    Muni’s the apsaras (dancers of heaven), Krodhavasha’s ghosts (pishachas), Tamra’s birds, Surabhi’s cattle, Sarama’s wild animals and Timi’s marine creatures. The Kurma Purana itself refers to this alternative account subsequently).
    To return to the present account of the Kurma Purana, Brahma thereafter divided his body into two. One half was male and was called Svayambhuva Manu. The remaining half was female and was called Shatarupa. Manu and Shatarupa married and had two sons and two daughters. The sons were named Priyavrata and Uttanapada and the daughters were named Prasuti and Akuti. Since all humans are Manu’s descendants, they are known as manava.
    Prasuti married Daksha and they had twenty-four daughters. (The Puranas are not at all consistent about the number of daughters Prasuti and Daksha had. The number is sometimes twenty-four, sometimes fifty and sometimes sixty). Thirteen of the twenty-four daughters were married to Brahma’s son Dharma. Of the remaining eleven, Khyati was married to Bhrigu, Sati to Shiva, Sambhuti to Marichi, Smriti to Angira, Priti to Pulastya, Kshama to Pulaha, Sannati to Kratu, Anasuya to Atri, Urjja to Vashishtha, Svaha to the fire-god Agni and Svadha to the ancestors (pitris).
    12.8 Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva
    The gods and the sages told Vishnu, “We are getting a bit confused. You have told us that Brahma emerged from Vishnu’s body And yet you have also told us how Brahma was born inside a golden egg. Which of these is the correct account? Then again, you have told us that Shiva was born from one of Brahma’s tears. But we have sometimes heard otherwise. Which is right? Please remove this confusion.”
    “There is no confusion,” replied Vishnu. “Let me explain it for you.”
    Brahma was born from the golden egg right at the beginning, at the time of the original creation. But at the end of every kalpa there is a minor destruction when all living beings other than Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva die. When the destruction is over, creation has to start afresh.
    At the end of the last kalpa, there was water everywhere in the universe. The heaven, the earth and the underworld, were all flooded with water. There were no gods and no sages. Only the great Vishnu slept on the water. He had a thousand hoods, a thousand eyes, a thousand arms and a thousand feet. This was his form of Ananta, the snake (naga).
    (The Kurma Purana completely identifies Vishnu with Ananta. More commonly, the Puranas state that the snake Ananta was the son of Kadru and the sage Kashyapa. He pleased Brahma through his prayers and obtained from Brahma the boon that he would be permitted to hold up the earth on his hoods. The Kalika Purana specifically states that, at the time of destruction, Vishnu and Lakshmi rest on Ananta’s central hood. The Vishnu Purana adds the information that Ananta was one of Balarama’s avataras. The names Shesha Vasuki and Gonasa are often used synonymously with Ananta.)

Pranam

As much as I know, Shukracharya, like Brihaspathi, is just a Brahmana.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Indialover; thank you for the details regarding this specific creation!

Thread Information