Re: sindhoor and haldi?
I am not a born Hindu thus always eager to learn about Hinduism.
You mention haldi or sindhoor.
I found the following translation for these words
Turmeric is the english word for haldi in Hindi. Turmeric, a representative of plant genus Curcuma.
The english word that can be used for "sindoor" is "vermilion"
The translation of the lingashtakam is mentioning saffron and sandal paste
I bow before that Sada Shiva Linga, which is smeared with saffron and sandal paste, which is decorated with lotus garlands and which wipes out all accumulated sins.
Now I am confused ...
Regarding Abhishek I found the following. Source: http://www.sushmajee.com/shiv/worshi...v-poojaa-1.htm
Shiv Abhishek According to Krishn Yajur Ved
according to Krishan Yajur Ved, the following 11 items for Abhishek, each item for each Anuvaak, to Sadaa Shiv Mahadev should be offered in this order ---
(1) Cow Milk – All-round happiness;
(2) Cow yogurt – health;
(3) Cow ghee – financial prosperity;
(4) Sugarcane juice (or candy) – destruction of sorrow;
(5) Honey – Tejo Vriddhi;
(6) Coconut water – Sarv Sampadaa Vriddhi;
(7) Bhasm – Destruction of great sins;
(8) Sandal wood water – Sons' prosperity;
(9) Pushpodak – Bhoo Laabh;
(10) Bilvajalam – Bhog and Bhagya;
(11) Doorvodakam – Nasht Dravya Praapti;
(12) Sesame Oil – Apa Mrityu Haram;
(13) Rudraakshodak – Mahaa Aishwaryam;
(14) Gold water – Destruction of Daridra;
(15) Rice – Raajya Praapti;
(16) Grape Juice- Sakal Kaarya Jayam;
(17) Dates (Khajoor) juice – destruction of both internal and external enemies;
(18) Black Apples – Renunciation;
(19) Kastooree Water – Kingdom;
(20) Nav Ratan Jal – Dhaanya, Griha development;
(21) Mango Juice – Destruction of long ailments;
(22) Turmeric water – Mangalprad Rudraabhishek
According to Shiv Puraan, Shukla Yajur Ved and Krishn Yajur Ved during Rudraabhishekam 11 items are offered to Param Shiv. These items can be offered during each Anuvaak. Every Bhakt can offer below listed items - milk, yogurt, Ghee, Honey, sugar, lemon juice, coconut juice, mango juice, sugarcane juice and sandalwood water.
The Panch Bhoot are a manifestation of Lord Shiv. They are each represented by the Panch Bhoot Ling.
(1) Earth - Prithvi Lingam (Shree Kaancheepuram)
(2) Air - Vaayu Lingam (Shree Kaalaahastee)
(3) Space - Aakaash Lingam (Chidaambaram)
(4) Fire - Jwaalaa Lingam (Arunaachalam)
(5) Water - Jal Lingam (Jambookeshwaram)
During Rudraabhishekam, we offer items that have significance in each and everyone's life. Listed are the items and their significance. Panchaamrit - Gives Health, wealth & happiness
Cow Milk - All round happiness
Cow Curd (Yogurt) - Health
Cow ghee (Clarified butter) - Financial Prosperity
Sugar- Removes enmity
Honey - Tejo Vriddhi
Coconut water - Sarv Sampadaa Vriddhi, gives enjoyment (increase of your prosperity)
Sandalwood - Children's Prosperity; Lakshmi's Grace
Turmeric water - Mangal Pradam (Auspicious)
Gold water - Destruction of Poverty
Kastooree water - Kingdom
Navratan Jal - Dhaanya, Griha development
Doorvodak (water with fragrant materials) - Nasht Dravya Praapti (finding of lost property)
Rudraakshodak (water with Rudraaksh) - Mahaa Eeshwaryam
Pushpodak (water with flowers) - Bhoo-labh
Bilva Jal (water with Bilva leaves) - Bhaagya Praapti
Grape Juice- Sakal Kaarya Jayam (victory in every aspect of life)
Mango Juice - Destruction of long ailments
Sugarcane Juice - Destruction of Sorrows, Good health
Lemon - Removes fear of death
Rice (cooked) - Raajya Praapti, to be free from debts
Dates - Destruction of both internal and external enemies
Rice Powder - Frees from all kind of debts
Bhasma - Destruction of great sins
Sesame oil - Apa Mrityu Haram (Saves from 5 types of unwanted death)
Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva