Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gita 4.40 - What does Kṛṣṇa mean by saṁśayātmā (doubting mind)?

Re: Gita 4.40 - What does Kṛṣṇa mean by saṁśayātmā (doubting mind)?

Believer, namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Many times we read only a portion of a verse or get hung up on one word of the verse and interpret/translate it to fit our mindset. That leads to wrong conclusions. If a rational human mind detects that there is something wrong with the way we are looking at the message, then why would we ever think that Krishnaji said something so contradictory/irrelevant? The basic question should be framed in a positive tone and not in light of the worst possible interpretation. We should question our abilities to understand/translate rather than cast doubts on the word of the Divine.

Pranam.

On the contrary, and IMHO, OP (in this case, me, but applies to anyone else) should be given the benefit of doubt (i.e., assume he has a poor understanding of our scriptures) and then proceed to answer the question as you would explain to a kid. This is what I expect from veterans on this forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It works much better than accusing OP of "worst possible interpretation", evil intent, etc.

>> The basic question should be framed in a positive tone and not in light of the worst possible interpretation.

I don't see anything wrong with the "tone" of my post. I thought I asked a genuine doubt.

The second line of the verse stands out on its own: "Neither this world nor the next nor happiness exists for one who has a doubting mind." Hence the reason for my question.

Regards.

SV

Re: Gita 4.40 - What does Kṛṣṇa mean by saṁśayātmā (doubting mind)?

Quote Originally Posted by svh View Post
    namaskāraḥ

Bhagavad-gītā 4.40 says:

अज्ञश्चाश्रद्दधानश्च संशयात्मा विनश्यति। <br>
    नायं लोकोऽस्ति न परो न सुखं संशयात्मनः।।4.40।।

ajñaścāśraddadhānaśca saṅśayātmā vinaśyati. <br>
    nāyaṅ lōkō.sti na parō na sukhaṅ saṅśayātmanaḥ ৷৷ 4.40 ৷৷

One who is ignorant and faithless, and has a doubting mind perishes. Neither this world nor the next nor happiness exists for one who has a doubting mind.

Question:

So if one asks a lot of questions on a website like HDF, does that make them a saṁśayātmā (doubting mind) according to Gita?

And we should be asking less and less questions? But then how will we learn if we don't ask questions?
    Namaste svh ji,

Inquisitiveness and doubt are not the same.

When I marry a woman I trust her & have faith in her. This is done and done once.

If I continue to question that trust for every silly incident, I entertain doubt.

This 'doubt' is destructive.

Inquiries that assist in learning and removal of ignorance can not be confused with the back and forth nature of 'doubt'.

Thread Information