Thread: 12-01-2017, Vivekananda's birthday is commemorated as National Youth Day in India.

12-01-2017, Vivekananda's birthday is commemorated as National Youth Day in India.

Today is the birthday of Swami Vivekananda, the great scholar-philosopher and thinker who wanted to reinvent India with his revolutionary and intense ideas that awaken the souls and minds to action and give a clarion call for a reformed nation. Swami Vivekananda is a pillar of motivation for the youth of India and wanted women of India to bear courage and self-confidence. His ideas about religion and staunch belief in the greatness of Hinduism have placed him in a plane of thoughts that are matchless in the arena of philosophical thinking. No wonder,he has been acknowledged internationally as a great man with deep thoughts of value.

Vivekananda's birthday is commemorated as National Youth Day in India.

Re: 12-01-2017, Vivekananda's birthday is commemorated as National Youth Day in India

Was sw. Vivekananda a Jivan Mukta/arhat/arahant? I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.
    Last edited by tr00don; 18 June 2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: precision

Re: 12-01-2017, Vivekananda's birthday is commemorated as National Youth Day in India

Swami Vivekananda was referred to as ever-perfect by his guru, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. Sri Ramakrishna would use him as an example of this, one who is eternally pure and perfect. Maybe this is what you are referring to?
    Gam Gam Ganapati
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2mXQjrK1bwQ

Dattavani.org
    https://dattavani.org/pravachana-malika/datta-vaakya/

A jivan mukta is an individual who has attained kaivalya/moksha while living and and yet has decided not to leave his/her body, to help others. "Pure" and "perfect" are implied but that's not the point. It is interesting that all the yoga sources seem to agree that a guru is required for the sadhaka to make progress but none defines the minimal qualifications that a guru must meet. Would you take swimming lessons from someone who has never swam? Ballet lessons from a someone who has never danced? Or reading lessons from someone who has never read a book? I would not. For the same reason, I think every qualified guru should be no less than a jivan mukta.

My understanding is that Sri Ramakrishna has died from throat cancer aged 50. Assuming that he was a jivan mukta and that he would have been able to delay his own death (as a side note, I cannot help noticing that jnana/knowledge is discussed at length in yoga but not so much action/intervention options of any kind on prakriti/matter), I think that it was his choice to make. However, Vivekananda was young (almost 40 years of age when he died) and he was on a mission to help raise awareness on raja yoga in the world. Hence my question regarding his jivan mukta status or lack thereof. If he did achieve it then I think he would have made a good guru and his death was premature. If he did not then I have some doubts regarding the robustness of his teachings.

Thread Information