Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prarabdha Karma and immortal soul

Re: Prarabdha Karma and immortal soul

Namaste Yajvan and Devotee

This post is not RELATED to the question I raised in this thread. It is a generation self observation. Probably, others member may also agree with my observation.
    That said,many a times after spending some quality time at HDF end up feeling that I have spent (and continuing to spend) major portion of my life on the matters which won't help me to rise.

Many philosophers think to take birth as Human is a rare privilege, though I agree with that thought, also feel, taking birth in any form is a curse.
    Anirudh...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Yajvan
    Most probably you may have explained above terms in any of your previous threads. I believe, understand all of them. In particular the term discrimination always fascinate me. I have heard a lot about discrimination from various Sri Vaishnava teachers. From what ever I have learned, define discrimination as the act of differentiating right and wrong or truth and false or light and darkness.

But truth/light/right has many shades, and if you look at Srimad Maha Bharat or Srimad Raamaayan, Sri Krishna and Sri Raam have twisted truth to fit to the situation. Then what is the yard stick to measure discrimination?
    Let me offer a few points of view. Discrimination (viveka) in its highest form is discerning Self from non-Self; the distinction of inert matter from Being.
    Ādi śaṅkara-ji's vivekacūḍāmaṇi1 says it this way:

• a foolish person identifies with their skin, flesh , fat, bones and excreta ( the body). A person of discrimination knows their true nature to be the supreme Reality and other than the body || 161st śloka
    • a fool (mūḍha) thinks ‘I am the body’ (deho'ham). An intelligent one knows of the 'I' in the body; Yet ( however) the great one (mahātmano), a person who has knowledge born of discrimination (viveka-vijñānavto) always knows (experiences) I am brahman (brahmāham) || 162nd śloka

The above is the from the advaita vedāntic point of view. Let’s look at it from the school of yogaḥ and śeṣa-patañjali’s work, his yogadarśana. Here this discrimination is called viveka-khyāti. That is, khyāti (declaration, knowledge) + viveka (discrimination, discerning). In this school it is discerning puruṣa ( see devotee’s post above) from buddhi ( intellect).

Why is this distinction suggested? Well, the intellect (buddhi) takes on the role of Self... It is not Self, but stands-in as Self and therefore we can call it not-Self. And what is puruṣa? Pure Being, Self. Hence within this school of yogaḥ it looks (once again) for the distinction, the discrimination of Self from non-Self.
    This is a most refined ( razor sharp) distinction. Why so? Because sattva-buddhi ( the purest buddhi possible) is the closest to puruṣa in terms of ~relative~ position or location. Hence it is the most refined distinction one can make. When one regards buddhi as Self they (once again) are deluded – the words of āchārya pachañikśha, which is aligned to śaṅkara-ji and no doubt to śrī kṛṣṇaḥ.

The more mundane level of daily life
    Right from wrong, truth from falsehood... all these choices are of a discriminating nature, but within the relative field of life. Here we have various observances, pending the social climate, the conditions of the time , etc. etc. We have various rulebooks to guide us, let alone the social rules ( rule of law). Yet when it comes to the divine ( śrī kṛṣṇaḥ & rāmaḥ ) their selections are much different than ours. There's will align to the universe at large. There's is from complete and absolute freedom ( svātantrya2). To us, the rank and file, their actions may seem curious. Yet we as bound individuals cannot comprehend the actions of the divine. For all we know, one action ( initiation of an action) may affect some-thing in a yuga in the future. We do not know. Why? Because per śrī kṛṣṇaḥ's own words - unfathomable is the course of action ( bhāgavadgītā, chapter 4, 17th verse)

Yet consider this ( to add a brain cramp) -
    In the 3 worlds there is no action which I need to do O partha ( arjuna);
    nor is there for Me anything worth attaining unattained; even so, I am
    engaged in action
    || 3.22 - śrī kṛṣṇa
    ḥ's own words

Now fast forward to chapter 4 and the 14th verse:
    Actions do not involve Me, nor have I any longing for the fruit of action.
    He who truly knows Me thus is not bound by actions
    || 4.14 - śrī kṛṣṇa
    ḥ's own words

Once we begin to understand these words do we come to appreciate the notion of action, the Supreme, and where we stand.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

terms
    1. vivekacūḍāmaṇi = the crown or crest jewel of discrimination; written by śaṅkara-ji around the age of 12, when he was at his masters āśrama. His master was govinda-ji. The verses offered are the 161st and 162nd in the book.
    2.sv
    ātantrya - complete independence; complete/absolute free will.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    This post is not RELATED to the question I raised in this thread. It is a generation self observation. Probably, others member may also agree with my observation.
    That said,many a times after spending some quality time at HDF end up feeling that I have spent (and continuing to spend) major portion of my life on the matters which won't help me to rise.
    Many philosophers think to take birth as Human is a rare privilege, though I agree with that thought, also feel, taking birth in any form is a curse.
    Let me offer a few ideas...
    Spending time here on HDF
    Your observation has merit. As I see HDF ( others may vary) , it is a place for satsaṅga ( associating with good company). It may contribute to one's growth or may not. People come and go here, and that is fine. Yet I have said on multiple occasions, HDF should not be one's final destination for gaining knowledge or for one's practice. Why so? Because it is not thorough. We cannot offer the right practice for a person because we do not know them enough. We can point the way the best we can but that is about it. Many of us are here to assist, but that said we do not know the person on the other side of the conversation , we do not know their practices, values and lifestyles. Again we can offer ideas and what our śāstra-s may say the best we can, but we are not certain how they are ( of if) they are applied. So, what is one to to? Do not leave your sādhana in the hands of others.

What will help you rise?
    • Knowledge and practice (sādhana)
    • One-pointedness ( do your behaviors match your goals ?)
    • a keen sense of the final condition ( Self)
    • Study vs. causal reading
    • withdraw... then withdraw from the withdrawal

Human birth
    I yield to
    ādi śaṅkara-ji's offer in his vivekacūḍāmaṇi ( the 2nd & 3rd verse)
    For all things subject to birth, birth in a human body is rare. Even rarer (is) to obtain the strength of body and mind. Rarer still is purity. More difficult than these is the desire to live a spiritual life. Rarest of all is to have an understanding of the śāstra-s .
    Rare and difficult to attain are these 3: a human birth, a burning desire for liberation, and the association with great beings.
    They are the result of divine grace.

Now my teacher's teacher added to this, as he is part of
    ādi śaṅkara-ji's lineage1 , he says:
    Every second in human life is valuable. If you don’t value this, then you have nothing in hand and you will weep in the end.
    Because you are human, God has given you power to think and decide what is good and bad. Therefore, you can do the best possible kind of action. You should never consider yourself weak or a fallen creature.
    Whatever may have happened up till now may be because you didn’t know, but now be careful... after getting a human body, if you don’t reach God, then you have sold a diamond at the price of spinach.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. ādi śaṅkara-ji's lineage
    - my teacher's master was svāmī brahmānanda sarasvatī , śaṅkarācārya of Jyotirmath

Last edited by yajvan; 25 January 2017 at 09:26 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Anirudh,

many a times after spending some quality time at HDF end up feeling that I have spent (and continuing to spend) major portion of my life on the matters which won't help me to rise.

Let me first tackle the issue of "I have spent (and continuing to spend) major portion of my life on the matters which won't help me to rise.I hope by the term "to rise" you mean "rise in worldly matters". Right ?

There can be various opinions on this issue and I can't say if anyone is better than the other. However, in my opinion, spiritual discussion helps not only on spiritual issues but also how you deal with worldly issues. How ?

Bhagwad Gita teaches you to dissociate yourself from attachments to Karmaphala and instead do karma with single-pointed focus. I have found it to be the biggest recipe for a successful and happy life in the worldly matters. I have always asked my children to follow this and I myself strongly believe in this doctrine. How does it help ?

i) If you really believe in this doctrine without any doubts, it takes away from your mind the burden of anxiety of being successful or otherwise in anything you pursue. It helps you fully concentrate your mind on your Karma.
    ii) It helps to keep cool and happy even when the things are not going well as you draw your happiness from Karma done by you in all sincerity and not by the results.
    iii) The above two things increase your chances of being successful manyfold.
    iv) You start changing into a better and helping person. Because you start seeing how much a person makes effort and not whether he is successful or not and that changes your perception of how you see other people around you. It helps you become a better husband, a better father and better friend and a better boss at work.
    v) Due to all the above combined, you have more real friends and that makes your life enriched.
    vi) You can see futility of intense desires that burn people and people spend their whole life running after them. You just laugh off when you come across such tendencies in people and see how it makes them miserable even though have everything to be happy !
    vii) You start realising that you don't need plenty for being happy and live this life happily. It is just a state of mind. You choose what is good for you.
    viii) You start seeing that this world by its nature is full of scarcity for what our sense-organs hanker for and this would always remain like this. If you get into that race of getting satisfaction Only on acquiring one thing after the other ... you are actually chasing a mirage and it will only lead to an unsatisfied / painful death.
    etc.

Yes, as you do have worldly responsibilities, you have to decide upon how much time you can afford for such discussions.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thank you very much for your words. I am answering you both in a single post. Time and again I have said HDF brought in many changes in me, scanning my last 4+ years, feel this was predestined.

I hope by the term "to rise" you mean "rise in worldly matters". Right ?
    I didn't understand what you meant here. Rise (for me) means growth in totality. Last two decades of my life was highly eventful, looking back, sincerely wish, I should have had a support system like HDF early in my life. Better late than never.

after getting a human body, if you don’t reach God, then you have sold a diamond at the price of spinach.
    Your words are like a warning message directly coming from my friend Sri Raama Chandra Prabhu.

Bhagwad Gita teaches you to dissociate yourself from attachments to Karmaphala and instead do karma with single-pointed focus.

What will help you rise?

• Knowledge and practice (sādhana)
    • One-pointedness ( do your behaviors match your goals ?)
    • a keen sense of the final condition ( Self)
    • Study vs. causal reading
    • withdraw... then withdraw from the withdrawal

I will step up my efforts to understand three scriptures Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Srimad Vaalmiki Raamaayan (Sundara Kaandam) and Sri Vishnu Sahasra Naama. It is not like I have not read them before, after every cycle, feel like I have left out something. So I don't know how long would it take before I think I have understood them, but will make a detailed post by the end of May 2017. I will be alive at least twenty more years, no matter how long I live, will reach Sriman Naaraayan at the end of this life.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information