Namaste, I noticed specifically in some gurus teaching Advaita that either attention to the "I" is suggested until (stemming from Ramana Maharshi's teachings) the individual ego falls and the true Self is revealed, and/or open awareness meditation where the body, sensations, thoughts, external activities are simply allowed to come and go within awareness without grasping onto any of these.

Speaking on the regular level (to simplify if we are to avoid a leap of faith in saying it doesn't matter as you already are that) is it that different results will be reached via these two methods? For example if I listen to an audio recording of Mooji discussing to remain as awareness and simply notice breath, body, activities happen by themselves, not controlling or grasping after anything, sure during the audio it's easy. But when walking around in daily life what does one do? Remain as awareness and even what arises to the visual field, not to grasp or hold onto? Or is it the thoughts we tend to have? See mindfulness, the term when unspecified, can be confusing as there is only internal mindfulness but also open awareness of apparently all that arises towards conscious awareness.

From the perspective of Sanatana Dharma, isn't even the witness during open awareness, mindfulness supposed to be obscuring the true Self? One could argue that the witness is that subjective independent remainder of awareness that lets everything come and go in spacious awareness?

Now from the other perspective, the focus on the subjective sensation "I", attention towards the "I" thought, ahamkara, was advocated by Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Nisargadatta. Focusing on the sensation of your own subjective existence, I have to admit, feels a bit hard at times considering it's a vague feeling or very subtle as we are so used to at the very least, identifying with some portion of our body. Do you have any tips about this practice?