Thread: Poetry vs. Philosophy

Poetry vs. Philosophy

Namaste

Last month I had an e-mail contact with an Indian regarding Tiruppavai. She called this poem philosophy. Now Anirudh too talks about Vaishnava philosophy regarding Divya Prabandham.

… you had given me the link to Divya Prabandam … I had assumed that you understand Sri Vaishnava philosophy.

According to my understanding the six darshanas are philosophy. I cannot read for example Viveka Cudamani without having understood Shankara’s thoughts.

Tiruppavai, Divya Prabandham, Tirumurai and all the works of poets are poetry. I do not need knowledge in any philosophy system to understand and enjoy them.

Am I wrong? Do Indians have a different view?

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Re: Poetry vs. Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Last month I had an e-mail contact with an Indian regarding Tiruppavai. She called this poem philosophy. Now Anirudh too talks about Vaishnava philosophy regarding Divya Prabandham.

… you had given me the link to Divya Prabandam … I had assumed that you understand Sri Vaishnava philosophy.

According to my understanding the six darshanas are philosophy. I cannot read for example Viveka Cudamani without having understood Shankara’s thoughts.

Tiruppavai, Divya Prabandham, Tirumurai and all the works of poets are poetry. I do not need knowledge in any philosophy system to understand and enjoy them.

Am I wrong? Do Indians have a different view?

Pranam

Namaste India Lover,

Thiruppavai is a philosophy. You can understand the complete Sri Vaishnava (Vishitadvaita) philosophy through Thiruppavai. Among the 4000 poems (Divya Prabandam) Thiruppavai is revered highly.

Poets who wrote these poems were great scholars (both Sanskrit and their mother tongue) and devotees of respective Sampradaya (tradition). You don't require the knowledge of any philosophy system to enjoy these poems but if you are interested in understanding the hidden meaning, you will have understand the philosophy. Conversely these poems can help you to understand the hidden philosophies if you the access to commentaries in your mother tongue.

Unlike present environment there were restrictions in access to Sanskrit as well as Shruti during their life time. So these devotees / poets wrote these poems so that every one can get the wisdom available in Shruti.

I must admit that these devotees were also great social reformists. We owe lot to these devotees but for them Hinduism might have gone extinct. Other members may not agree with me on this point
    Last edited by Anirudh; 24 January 2017 at 11:37 AM.
    Anirudh...

I understand your point, Anirudh. It shows the difference between India and the West.

Since in Christianity we have only the Bible and the exegesis of the Bible was and is strictly forbidden - mystics who did were killed - there did not grow a culture of interpreting scriptures.

The forum list ‚Scriptures‘ does not show poetry, thus I think poetry in the sense of what we call lyric and poesy is not separated from philosophy and philosophy is different to the Western philosophy which is more a braintrain than bhakti.

Anyhow … I will read what I call poetry with enthusiasm furtheron.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    I understand your point, Anirudh. It shows the difference between India and the West.

Since in Christianity we have only the Bible and the exegesis of the Bible was and is strictly forbidden - mystics who did were killed - there did not grow a culture of interpreting scriptures.

The forum list ‚Scriptures‘ does not show poetry, thus I think poetry in the sense of what we call lyric and poesy is not separated from philosophy and philosophy is different to the Western philosophy which is more a braintrain than bhakti.

Anyhow … I will read what I call poetry with enthusiasm furtheron.

Pranam
    Namaste India Lover

I studied Science and Computers in college, so other than poems I read in English text books (school days), my knowledge on English poems and its construct is zero.

Philosophy as per dictionary is the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics
    Poem as per dictionary is a composition written in metrical feet forming rhythmical lines

You may be right by crediting it to the difference between India and West. Srimad Vaalmiki Raamaayan or Srimad Bhagavat Gita is a poem, but it teaches Philosophy. Besides Hindi and Sanskrit(beginner), I can understand almost all South Indian languages. Most of the poems written in these languages are philosophical in nature.

If I can get English commentaries on Thiruppavai, will pass it across to you. But for the moment, when ever you find time please watch first 3 videos in this playlist. It is said art doesn't need language. Hope you ll like it.

Because of that, although Abrahamic religion(s) is widely followed, gives a feeling of a rule book than a way of life. I am not comparing, please don't take offense.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 25 January 2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: comment added
    Anirudh...

Thread Information