Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatly desiring to move towards, and eventually become vegetarian.

Greatly desiring to move towards, and eventually become vegetarian.

सभी को नमस्कार
    Sabhī kō namaskāra

I know I probably mangled that beyond all repair and redemption, but I tried (that's what on-line translators get you).

As some of you may know me from over the years I've tried repeatedly to move to vegetarian, with little to (less than no) no success. The excuses are as numerous as the stars in the sky.

But something is really prompting me to do it. I've always known of Lord Shiva's epithet "Lord/Protector of Animals", Paśupati. I can't watch an ASPCA or HSUS tv ad without crying, seeing dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, baby seals and other animals suffering. I don't want to be party to that. In fact, just thinking about this, I'm fighting back tears.

I'm not one for "conversational prayer"... I'm not a "pray-er", never have been, never will be. I get tongue-tied and sound stupid. And though my primary, though not exclusive worship is of Krishna I've been feeling an urge to pray to Paśupati, in rounds of nāma japa and gāyatrī (my signature indicates my belief):

oṃ paśupataye namaḥ

om paśupataye vidmahe
    mahādevāya dhīmahi
    tanno paśupati pracodayāt

I think doing this as a routine will help me keep the Lord, in this aspect or form in mind, and maybe he will give at least this one enlightenment, though preferably the whole world. I don't know if this is overthought, overkill, or maybe not even proper or correct.

So what do you think?

śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Greatly desiring to move towards, and eventually become vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    सभी को नमस्कार
    Sabhī kō namaskāra

I know I probably mangled that beyond all repair and redemption, but I tried (that's what on-line translators get you).

As some of you may know me from over the years I've tried repeatedly to move to vegetarian, with little to (less than no) no success. The excuses are as numerous as the stars in the sky.

But something is really prompting me to do it. I've always known of Lord Shiva's epithet "Lord/Protector of Animals", Paśupati. I can't watch an ASPCA or HSUS tv ad without crying, seeing dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, baby seals and other animals suffering. I don't want to be party to that. In fact, just thinking about this, I'm fighting back tears.

I'm not one for "conversational prayer"... I'm not a "pray-er", never have been, never will be. I get tongue-tied and sound stupid. And though my primary, though not exclusive worship is of Krishna I've been feeling an urge to pray to Paśupati, in rounds of nāma japa and gāyatrī (my signature indicates my belief):

oṃ paśupataye namaḥ

om paśupataye vidmahe
    mahādevāya dhīmahi

I think doing this as a routine will help me keep the Lord, in this aspect or form in mind, and maybe he will give at least this one enlightenment, though preferably the whole world. I don't know if this is overthought, overkill, or maybe not even proper or correct.

So what do you think?

Namaste Jainarayan

I read your entire post, don't want to be judgemental. I am not sure reciting a mantra without a conviction to become Vegetarian will help you in any way.
    I was a non vegetarian in the past, gave it up as I was drawn into spirituality.

Indian Hindus even though eat non vegetarian food, few days in a week or on festival period eat only vegetarian food. So in my case it wasn't difficult to completely give up.

If you wish to become a total vegetarian or to build the conviction in you try to feel the pain suffered by the animal before becoming a food item for you. Try to think the hand which you use to eat is chopped off and served to the same dead animal which for no mistake (of it) has become the food in your plate. Also put yourself in a position where your loved ones are slaughtered and served as a food to others.

I might be harsh, but it definitely works. Many in my circle of influence have turned into Total Vegetarian following this technique.
    Anirudh...

Namaste, and thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Jainarayan

I read your entire post, don't want to be judgemental. I am not sure reciting a mantra without a conviction to become Vegetarian will help you in any way.
    I'm not expecting the mantra to do the work for me, I know it will take work. Rather it's to draw me closer to, and keep in mind the God who watches over the animals. I use mantras and various slokas as my prayers. This is a way of praying to Shiva to help me succeed. On the other hand, it may very well be that praying for His help may be a crutch that I should do without. It could be that He just poked me with what I read to embark on this change. Yes, that is a possibility.

If you wish to become a total vegetarian or to build the conviction in you try to feel the pain suffered by the animal before becoming a food item for you. Try to think the hand which you use to eat is chopped off and served to the same dead animal which for no mistake (of it) has become the food in your plate. Also put yourself in a position where your loved ones are slaughtered and served as a food to others.
    Oh, I don't have to visualize that any more than I already see too often. It's not even a matter of not watching tv. I'm a member of the ASPCA and get their newsletters and magazines that have photos of rescued animals. It's heart-wrenching, hence the desire and decision to do what I think is the right thing.

Jai,

I, on the other hand, think that prayers do not have a specific 'realm of operation' (such as career, marriage, debts, disease) but can act on any sphere where a change is desired -- be it personality or even non-material aspirations such as yours!

But, where is the right answer to your question? I think there is no such thing available, and that the only answerer is 'time and effort'.

So I would just recommend you to start your sadhana with full faith and give it a good try and wait for time and god to answer your prayers.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Jai,

I, on the other hand, think that prayers do not have a specific 'realm of operation' (such as career, marriage, debts, disease) but can act on any sphere where a change is desired -- be it personality or even non-material aspirations such as yours!

But, where is the right answer to your question? I think there is no such thing available, and that the only answerer is 'time and effort'.

So I would just recommend you to start your sadhana with full faith and give it a good try and wait for time and god to answer your prayers.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Viraja
    Dhanyavad Viraja. I think you're right... try something and see what happens. I think the gods guide us.

Namaste Jainarayan
    Oh, I don't have to visualize that any more than I already see too often. It's not even a matter of not watching tv. I'm a member of the ASPCA and get their newsletters and magazines that have photos of rescued animals. It's heart-wrenching, hence the desire and decision to do what I think is the right thing.
    Few years one member named Ms Kitty had shared real time issues faced by the people (in west) who want to become Vegetarian. So I don't know about the stumbling blocks you face. Hope you get the conviction to cross all hurdles.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Jai,

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post

oṃ paśupataye namaḥ
    om paśupataye vidmahe
    mahādevāya dhīmahi

So what do you think?

I can share you some tips based on my experience in life :

a) The attachment to any habit can either be broken off in one go or it won't be possible ever. It is difficult to detach oneself slowly, it is far easier to do it in one shot.
    b) This is very easy or it is impossible ... depends upon what you think.
    c) First of all decide, if what you want to change is really beneficial to you and the state today is really harmful. Think and think and think and come toa conclusion.
    d) If you come to a conclusion that you must get rid of your attachment to a bad habit, this is what I suggest :

i) Learn to relax to the point of feeling peace within. Whenever you want to relax, tense your whole body for a little while, take a deep breath and exhale it completely and let go all physical and mental tension. If you are truly relaxed, number of thoughts coming to your mind would become very few. See if you are detached from thoughts, if any, are travelling through mind. Let go ... let go ... let go everything .... go within your heart and feel the peace therein.
    This exercise will help you to feel the peace inside even if you are in tense situation.

ii) Remember that any deprivation (from what we want to enjoy) creates tension in mind. Thoughts run amok and make us restless and drive us more towards our sense-object that we want to enjoy. The more you want to be strong against such such force, more you think over them and that make them still stronger. Result is that you lose out in this fight and the impression becomes still deeper which tells us that it is no use fighting this battle ! This takes away your faith on yourself, mantra you use or even the deity you pray to.
    iii) What is remedy for ii) ? Don't fight. Don't try to "become" stronger against them. You just make them stronger. The more you fight, the more you create favouable conditions to lose the battle. What to do ? Relax ! You don't have to be stronger against your temptations. You are already too strong against them ... you have just forgotten your true nature. Stop doubting on your strength. Learn to relax physically and mentally and learn to enjoy the hidden peace within yourself.
    iv) Use the tips offered by Lord Krishna in Bhagwad Gita : "Abhyaas" (Practice) and "VairAgya" (detachment) are the tools to be the winner. How to use these tools to get rid of your bad habit ?
    a1) Declare now that you are free from the clutches of the habit of meat eating !
    b1) You don't want to think over this habit/the taste anymore. You don;t want to fight anything, gain anything ... you are just not interested in meat eating. You don't want to be where it is served, you don't want to see any recipe made of meat. You just don't like it ...
    c1) Just think of it ! It is not a great fight. You have just to relax against the temptation of eating only the next time. If you just don't allow only once i.e. the next time, it is won for ever !
    d1) Whenever you have any unforced encounters with meals with meat, just focus on your meal and enjoy that ... fully relaxed all the time enjoying the peace inside.

Believe me, if you try the above tips, you will come out winner immediately, just now ! It is so easy !!

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Jainarayan

So I don't know about the stumbling blocks you face. Hope you get the conviction to cross all hurdles.
    Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what the stumbling blocks are either. In the past I blamed it on my veg. diet to be too carb heavy. I do have a tendency to prefer carbs... pasta, rice, pizza, bread, etc. ... and dislike vegs., or at least the way I prepare them. However, I'm slowly learning to sneak vegs into my diet in different ways. I made a biryani-type chicken and rice (a coworker from Chennai turned me on to it) with sweet peas and tomatoes. I can very easily remove the chicken and add beans or chick peas plus other vegs. It was actually pretty good, if not for the fact I used medium grain rice, which came out more than a little sticky. I've since learned to make basmati rice.

The main stumbling block, really, is just learning to think outside the box as far as food choices in a society where meat is king. You can't swing a cat by the tail without hitting something without meat it in in some way or another. Family is a problem. Being Italian-American, pasta is a big part of the diet, but the sauce for it (we call it gravy) almost always has meat in it, and the pasta is always sauced before being served: lasagna or baked ziti for example. My family won't respect my choices; they choose to mock me, so I simply don't visit them anymore. When I once politely passed up London broil my sister made, she said "oh, now you worship cows?" with a mock bow. At work, oddly, it's not a problem. Half our warehouse and distribution employees are Indian, so the cafeteria always has something vegetarian. I should probably do take-out from them.

Namaste devotee. Thanks so much for those in-depth thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Jai,

I can share you some tips based on my experience in life :

a) The attachment to any habit can either be broken off in one go or it won't be possible ever. It is difficult to detach oneself slowly, it is far easier to do it in one shot.
    b) This is very easy or it is impossible ... depends upon what you think.
    c) First of all decide, if what you want to change is really beneficial to you and the state today is really harmful. Think and think and think and come toa conclusion.
    I've tossed that around in my mind often. First I have to say that when I quit smoking 22 years ago Jan. 1, it was because I decided it was time. Cold turkey, crushed out my last cigarette at 11:38 pm Dec. 31, 1994, never lit another one since. I did try many times before; "they" say that the more times you try to do something, the more likely you are to eventually succeed, having trained yourself. That may apply here also. I've tried many times to become veg. Perhaps this time is the time.

ii) Remember that any deprivation (from what we want to enjoy) creates tension in mind. Thoughts run amok and make us restless and drive us more towards our sense-object that we want to enjoy. The more you want to be strong against such such force, more you think over them and that make them still stronger. Result is that you lose out in this fight and the impression becomes still deeper which tells us that it is no use fighting this battle ! This takes away your faith on yourself, mantra you use or even the deity you pray to.
    iii) What is remedy for ii) ? Don't fight. Don't try to "become" stronger against them. You just make them stronger. The more you fight, the more you create favouable conditions to lose the battle. What to do ? Relax ! You don't have to be stronger against your temptations. You are already too strong against them ... you have just forgotten your true nature. Stop doubting on your strength. Learn to relax physically and mentally and learn to enjoy the hidden peace within yourself.
    Yes, the harder you fight against something the stronger the fight becomes. Like trying to swim against a rip current. You don't give in to it or you drown that way too, but you don't panic, and just swim across it.

iv) Use the tips offered by Lord Krishna in Bhagwad Gita : "Abhyaas" (Practice) and "VairAgya" (detachment) are the tools to be the winner. How to use these tools to get rid of your bad habit ?
    a1) Declare now that you are free from the clutches of the habit of meat eating !
    b1) You don't want to think over this habit/the taste anymore. You don;t want to fight anything, gain anything ... you are just not interested in meat eating. You don't want to be where it is served, you don't want to see any recipe made of meat. You just don't like it ...
    c1) Just think of it ! It is not a great fight. You have just to relax against the temptation of eating only the next time. If you just don't allow only once i.e. the next time, it is won for ever !
    d1) Whenever you have any unforced encounters with meals with meat, just focus on your meal and enjoy that ... fully relaxed all the time enjoying the peace inside.

Believe me, if you try the above tips, you will come out winner immediately, just now ! It is so easy !!

OM
    It's about time I read Bhagavad Gita again. It's good to get a booster shot regularly.

It's true that if you say "I won't [insert habit you want to break] just this time" or I'll do [insert thing you want to start doing] just this time" every time, the habit is established or broken. The funny thing is that I really don't care for meat anymore. I haven't had any mammal flesh in a while now, and I really don't miss it. It's just been chicken, fish and eggs, and not even a whole lot of that, and of course dairy. Maybe it's because I'm telling myself I don't care for meat, or maybe I really am losing my taste for it because it's time. Either way, I think that's important.

Now I have to remember and put into practice what we're saying here.

Hari Om!

Devotee Ji's words are so very powerful as am certain that you've seen and will take to heart. They can apply to so many situations and are a good reminder for me as well. Thank-you Ji!

If I may, would like to share something that was reminded of while reading in Life Positive Magazine, one that is sent here to residence from India. It states that everything we tell ourselves is stored and believed by our subconscious mind. If I tell myself that I am a vegetarian, it will become so. This is along the lines of affirmations but on a more subtle level. What we believe is true for us!

Thanks for allowing me to share. Hope there is something valuable here.

All the best in your ventures.

Om

Thread Information