Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatly desiring to move towards, and eventually become vegetarian.

Re: Greatly desiring to move towards, and eventually become vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Jai,

a) The attachment to any habit can either be broken off in one go or it won't be possible ever. It is difficult to detach oneself slowly, it is far easier to do it in one shot.

OM
    Vannakkam: This part reminded me of what my Guru told me one time. "If you have to cut a dog's tail off, do you do it an inch at a time, or all at once?"

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

According to some researches there is usually a fall back of about 80% who go from meat to veggie or vegan and then back to meat again. Vegans usually say that most people take to vegetarian/Vegan diets for health reasons, look better, feel fitter, lose weight rather than moral reasons, so they think having some restraint according to a moral code helps people to stay vegan/vegetarian for longer.

When I was Brahmacari part of our seva was to speak to new guests who came for Sunday visits, in London at the time most normal people visiting wanted to be more vegetarian and more spiritual but found it hard due to lack of support in the external world. Usually the best advice was to tell people to visit more often, associate with devotees more often, eat more prasadam, that will purify the mind and the base desires that have been programmed by an impersonal society.

So I think to last being a vegetarian and to give more power to ones sadhana to improve good energy sadhu sangha is important, being with like minded people who have the same or similar habits and goals. This can give strength. I have seen many debates that turn people away from being veggie or vegan due to types of militant fanaticism, so just getting a strong view wont always help, it can add to suppression, conversion or awakening to a higher energy of mind is transformed naturally and with some effort and concentration on a higher cause, these perfections are within spiritual disciplines that surely in these times of open information supports ahimsa diet.

Vannakkam Eastern Mind … what a strange example … how many dog's tails has this Guru cut off so far?
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    According to some researches there is usually a fall back of about 80% who go from meat to veggie or vegan and then back to meat again.
    This is true. Why ? This is because of failing to fill in the vacuum created due to removing an addiction and deprivation from physical enjoyment following that. This gap can be filled by feeling of spiritual enrichment coming from association with spiritual people, chanting mantra, bhajans, spiritual discourses etc. However, imo, the best spiritual enrichment/satisfaction comes from within and it comes instantly.

Actually, all our hunger of seeking worldly enjoyment in one thing or the other comes from our inner restlessness. This restlessness is the nature of Jiva and this is the root cause behind its birth. This restlessness is for searching its lost paradise i.e. its natural blissful state. It doesn't understand why this restlessness is and keep looking for it in different types of addictions birth after birth.

It is very easy to find the inherent peaceful state within our heart. It is not exactly our true blissful state but just a shadow of it but it works. Whenever we can offload the burden of the worldly affairs which lies on our head, we should practise to rest within our heart with all our organs. The inner peace and satisfaction prevailing there is quite powerful to fill in the gap created by abandoning any addictive habit. Just visualising that I am resting within my heart with all my sense organs, all my desires dissolved in the blissful peace prevailing there gives much higher level of spiritual satisfaction than indulging in any worldly addictive physical/mental habits. Taking a deep breath slowly and releasing it in one go, thinking that all desires and restlessness have gone out with the outgoing breath and I am going to rest within my heart all with myself which is utterly peaceful and blissful in nature can do the trick.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Indialover,

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Vannakkam Eastern Mind … what a strange example … how many dog's tails has this Guru cut off so far?
    Sorry, Indialover ! Such comments for any Guru is highly unacceptable on this forum ! Guru is Brahman. Just because He is Eastern Mind's Guru doesn't mean that you can ridicule him in this way. In his post Eastern Mind has clearly stated that this example was given by his Guru. Still you have chosen such remarks for Him ? You are requested to please modify your post suitably.

OM

Sorry devotee, I did not grow up in Indian culture. For me no human is Brahman. Especially not when he brings examples in which an animal is tortured.

But should he be Brahman he will for sure not feel ridiculed ... Brahman gave me a brain to use it.

Pranam

Sorry devotee, I did not grow up in Indian culture. For me no human is Brahman. Especially not when he brings examples in which an animal is tortured.

But should he be Brahman he will for sure not feel ridiculed ... Brahman gave me a brain to use it.

Pranam
    Vannakkam: I will explain the context for you. Perhaps that will help. I was maybe 18 years old at the time, and was in a friendship relationship with a person where I realised that it had to be broken off as there were some very significant obstacles and differences to overcome. It was a one on one conversation between myself and Guru, probably not something he would have recorded, but something that would work with his one devotee present (me) at that moment. So the Guru's analogy was all about how to go about it. If you HAVE to (Suppose the dog's tail is stuck in a trap, or there is a cancer on the end of it.) how would you go about it? Of course this applies in life to a lot of things, quitting smoking, terminating contracts, filling a tank of gas, leaving an internet forum, and much more. The point is that a sudden break, all at once, will be more effective than a gradual one. Vegetarianism ... same thing. Just do it. Get it over with. Don't try gradual. Gradual doesn't work as well. This is how I became a vegetarian, and also how many others have. You wake up one day and you're a vegetarian. In the long run, this method involves less pain.

Just as a side note here ... My Guru's 3 main books are titled 'Dancing with Siva, Living with Siva, and Merging with Siva

Namaste IL,

Pranam
    It is unfortunate to see you defending your language used for a Guru in the name of your love for animals. How do you know in what context it was said ? For you, if no human being is Brahman then I am afraid, you are wasting your time on this forum. We Hindus consider that not only every human being but everything in this universe is Brahman and nothing else. "Sarva Khalu idam Brahman". Guru is considered SakshAt Param Brahman i.e. in as pure state as Brahman is.

It is expected that anyone who wants to associate with Hindus should respect the basic tenets of Hindu Dharma. It is in Abrahimic religions where people keep struggling the whole life to worship True God. For them, God is some whimsical KIng sitting high up in the sky and keeps acting as he desires. Sorry, in Hindu Dharma, God is non-different from this universe. Yes, in some beings the Brahman Consciousness is manifest much more than in others. Gurus are those who have gained one-ness with Brahman and that is why they are considered equivalent to Brahman.

However, I don't think you are here to listen to such logic here. The way you are responding, gives a bad taste of your poor behaviour.

OM

Thank you Eastern Mind for clarifying the context and your own statement

*** probably not something he would have recorded ***

We found agreement in an open discussion.

Pranam

Namaste Jai:

My feeling is that any prayer to Lord Śiva can only create benefit!

You wrote about your past veg diet being too carb-heavy, and yes, this will certainly make a vegetarian lifestyle harder, with too much quick energy from sugars and not enough grounding from good fats and proteins. Learning different preparations of vegetables and taking more vegetarian protein foods (like dals and nuts, and curd and paneer if you take dairy) will surely help you succeed. Vitamin B12 is also vital for keeping your spirits high and your mood stable, so it's worth taking a supplement for this important nutrient if you don't eat many B12 foods (e.g., tofu, soymilk, and cheese).

What pleases me most about being vegetarian is that I no longer feel guilty and hypocritical about my meals; I wasted so much energy on stress and worry and feeling bad about myself, but now taking food is simple and even joyful. Instead of focusing on what you are missing, it might help to think about how good you will feel when your deeds align with your wishes and beliefs. I wish you best of luck in your efforts (and am happy to provide recipes and advice if you'd like to PM me).
    And one more bit of "food for thought": believing yourself "tongue-tied and stupid" in prayer is perhaps a thought originating with ego, no? We don't laugh at children who are learning to talk or call them fools when they misspeak, and Lord shows us even more compassion. Letting go of that feeling of silliness is a part of trusting surrender to the Divine, and one of the most wondrous aspects of performing pūjā.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Thread Information