Thread: Is this Sansara (संसार) the worldly existence a curse?

Hybrid View

Is this Sansara (संसार) the worldly existence a curse?

Namaste HDF

I have a question which should have surfaced in every ones life. Is this Sansara (संसार) the worldly existence a curse? I am not venting out my frustrations or unfulfilled desires, but generally speaking, between life and death we undergo so many hardships that doesn't make any sense to go through in first place. Say for eg, the mother and yet to be born has to suffer a lot just to take birth and the suffering does not end.

Why should we take birth? Why should we need this three qualities, ahankara, recording past impressions etc etc. I understand what these 3 qualities, ahankara and past impression can do to me. Even if I believe that the soul that resides in me is not affected, shouldn't I have to live with this pain in this world till I cease to exist?

If you can answer please do share your wisdom but don't tell me it as Gods pass time . I don't think God would be cruel to that extent. Few years ago I had asked a question How I got into womb, now, I wonder why I got into womb? Please read the link given by SaiDevo if you want to understand what I am asking
    Anirudh...

Re: Is this Sansara (संसार) the worldly existence a curse?

Namaste!

You have specified to say not say that this is God's past time.. But the truth is only in the state of Sri Paramatman we can obtain full anand. These births and deaths are endless until the person tries to live a dharmic life which will free them from duality where they think God and the Jiva is different.. I am talking within the advaita perspective. By living a dharmic life where we do jaap of Sri Paramatman's name, then we can awaken the state within ourselves and then surely there will be no pain left.. Pain is felt when we are away from Sri Paramatman, that is why it is wise to always remain attached-yog with Sri Paramatman, and it will destroy the vices such as kaam(wishes)/krodh(wrath)/lobh(greed)/moh(false attachment)/ahankar(pride) etc which is what causes suffering and bad karmas. Why attach ourselves to anything from this world since everything will perish anyways one day, attach yourself to God (who will never leave us).

Namaste Anirudh,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    I have a question which should have surfaced in every ones life. Is this Sansara (संसार) the worldly existence a curse? I am not venting out my frustrations or unfulfilled desires, but generally speaking, between life and death we undergo so many hardships that doesn't make any sense to go through in first place. Say for eg, the mother and yet to be born has to suffer a lot just to take birth and the suffering does not end.

Why should we take birth? Why should we need this three qualities, ahankara, recording past impressions etc etc. I understand what these 3 qualities, ahankara and past impression can do to me. Even if I believe that the soul that resides in me is not affected, shouldn't I have to live with this pain in this world till I cease to exist?

If you can answer please do share your wisdom but don't tell me it as Gods pass time . I don't think God would be cruel to that extent. Few years ago I had asked a question How I got into womb, now, I wonder why I got into womb? Please read the link given by SaiDevo if you want to understand what I am asking
    You are right. This world is full of pains, hunger etc. You have to toil for everything here and the resources in this world are limited and unevenly distributed. So, taking birth is certainly not a boon but it is not curse either. How ?
    If you think that God is some separate entity and like a whimsical person He creates this world and the beings therein then it would appear that He is cruel. However, God is not separate from us. Desire is the thoughtwave which is responsible for this creation in relative plane of existence just like a dream. It is not that desire grew in God and "we" are forced to suffer because of "His" desires ! This generation of thought-waves in parallel plane of existence is the Nature of Brahman or the Highest Truth that we all are. In one plane of existence, Brahman always is without parts, utterly blissful and peaceful. However, in another plane of existence the same Brahman appears in multitude to fulfil its desires. In other words, you can say that it is our own desires which creates this world full of multitude, the Laws of Nature / Karma, good and evil, Karma, births and deaths etc. We are inseparable from Brahman and therefore we cannot blame Brahman for anything without blaming ourselves.

Now, this sport is our own. It is we who are responsible for our desires and for our births. It is our own Nature which is designed in such a manner that it always tries to pull you back to the Reality that you are. And that is why this world is not bed of roses. If it were, we could have never tried to get out of this enchanting dream of this world. This world gives us our chances to enjoy sense-objects but it comes loaded with bitterness of un-satisfaction, need of efforts for every little thing we want to have ... it also gives us ways to opt out from this painful game and regain our glory. God and Nature take care of us during the whole cycle. Nature reprimands and punishes us for our faults, rewards us for our good deeds and thus keeps us on the path of Dharma and God shows us ways to get out of this painful existence in one way or the other out of compassion in the form of our interactions with JnAni people, noble thoughts and Gurus.

In fact, there is no one who is bound and there is no one who is suffering. It is just our dream, a grand delusion and nothing else. Just like in our worldly life we see dreams for fulfilling our desires and suffering the results of impressions of our daily life, the same way due to our desires and past impressions we are passing through this dream of ours. The more we detach ourselves from this world-game, the more insulated we become from the cyclic bouts of sufferings and joys of this world.

It is our own choice. The biggest question is ... Do we really want to be free or before being free we have some more tasks to attend to ... some more things to enjoy ??

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Dear Anirudh,

Indian scriptures show clearly how to get out of samsara.

I do not see life as a curse … you are born in India – I am born in the West. To be born in the West is a curse for me. But I got a boon. I got in touch with Vedic wisdom.

As I know about the ashramas you fulfill your Dharma as brahmachari and housholder for around 50 years. Then you begin your spiritual studies which may lead to renunciation and finally lead out of samsara. Whatever you did until today … you are 44 years old … lot of time is left.

Let me tell you a story. In my village we have a small drugstore - now I read in the local newspaper that the owner, at the age of 72, is lamenting that his sales decline because of all these supermarkets. He told about his father who founded the drugstore, about his education, about that in the old days all was better and so on.

In Germany the official retirement is at the age of 63, he is 72. 72 years dedicated to his drugstore and talking only about attachment and memories. He will be born as a druggist again.

We in the West do not hear anything about attachment and maya, about atman and paramatman. You have the chance to renounce. Your country offers this possibility with all its ashrams. It is a part of the culture.

And because only a human can decide to get free from attachment this human life is a gift. It is our decision whether we dedicate it to maya or to the ultimate source. I think even for this druggist it would be not be too late. But if I would tell him about attachment and maya the would laugh at me. That’s the difference between India and the West.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Hari Om!

Quite simply, our divine nature is Bliss! Take a read through the Sanyasa Upanashads. They are short for the most part but full of illuminating wisdom.

From one, although I don't recall which;

"Neither by work nor through progeny nor by any other means whatsoever, but only by intuitive awareness of Brahman does a person attain Brahman."

So, how does this relate? Back again to our true nature being Divine Bliss. In my mind this parallels and echoes Devotee Ji's statements. There is no pain or suffering, however there is no joy either. Simply Divine Bliss.

Interesting article by the way and delighted that you shared these views. Please expound on it and the comments others have made here that seem relevant if you would be so kind.

All the best in your quest for understanding.

Om

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Why should you be carrying a load on your head when you are traveling on a train ? You and your load , wheather on your head or on the floor, are being carried by the train. You are not lessening the burden on the train by keeping it on your head, but only strain yourself unnecessarily. Similar is the sense of doership in the world by individuals. - rāmaṇa mahaṛṣi, August 17, 1938

The more you think you are the doer ( and not SELF) the more the stress and strain. The world feels like a curse ( the load on your head). Rise up and find out who you are.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 October 2017 at 05:43 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan, c.smith, India Lover, Devotee and Chakreshvari

Thank you very much for all the inputs.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information