Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A relatively new thought on Shiva/Vishnu tattwa

Re: A relatively new thought on Shiva/Vishnu tattwa

Namaste

Thank you Yajvan Ji. I would at some point like to understand what the meaning of comprehension is, although there is some validation and certainly clarification needed between two languages but are we trying to limit the unlimited, balance is always the key portion.

I do however think Viraj has bought up an interesting topic. Although Shiva and Vishnu cant be corrupted or changed by human view they are also without limit, and not bound by human laws. I think Shiva as a man is propagated by Sadguru, who said that Shiva was a man who attained to Self realization about 15000 years ago, showing that it is possible to attain to full knowledge of the Absolute, even while in such a primitive condition as a human being. I met with my friend from Kerala today and he brought the subject up and told me the source of this story, it just came up by chance, he works in the local ayurveda place and I sometimes pop in to see for a chat when its quiet.

I dont have any authority to say true or not, Shiva tattva is wide and broad and Shiva has many forms or expansions, Hanuman being one along with many others, so maybe there was some lila 15000 years ago.

I like the term that Viraj uses as out of the box thinker, I think many people in India and other people who consider them self as spiritual rather than religious like to think and be identified like that. If one becomes to conservative and traditional then things can become slow and limited and confined gradually into a dogma and unlimited beings are then fitted into caskets and Sanskirt words become a subject of Dictionaries and Thesaurus and then there is struggle to find the right context, when all the power of revealed knowledge came through sabda brahma. And what to say about the dreaded falling into sectarianism where one group thinks they are above everyone and everything else.

This knowledge is passed on orally even by traditional standards, how much has the written word caused problems. How much of the written word can solve the problems it has caused, to me its a bit like asking science to create another science to solve all the problems that science has caused us and the rest of the planet, seems another trick of samsara and maya~meaningless illusions in endless cycles.

As I understand the context of shastra is usually and ultimately ineffable because it transcends the human condition which is limited and confined by the mind and language, reality is not confined to anything, even phenomena is unlimited , eternal and infinite, so what to speak of higher more subtle transcendent realities such as Shiva and Vishnu.

Does Shiva and Vishnu have to fit into our understanding of shastra, maybe they can change and invent themslef in another way. Its not an easy subject. Baba Ram Puri talks about some of these things, maybe one can listen to him to get some idea, for me its been with me for a long time, why do we always have to limit the unlimited, why is quoting a script that was usually spoken as a discourse thousands of years ago still to be kept as main authority, Shastra is my authority but is there a certain way that its verified. One example is that this weekend I was at a Buddhist place, its Thai forest tradition, they are meditation branch and there was a reading on certain stuff and most the audience was left looking confused and blank, which was quite funny, then the bikkhu back tracked a bit and said to understand this in the right way one needs different levels of meditation experience.

In Ethics in the Mahabharata by Sitansu Chakravaarti, he says the that it is the essence that remains the constant in Shastra, and it is the essence that we surrender and absorb into. So I am questioning how or what is the means to understand shastra and the discourses and revealed knowledge.

Its a delicate subject, is it better to be an out of the box thinker rather than conservative traditionalists and a keeping with defined terms, the latter will ultimately end up in dogma. Its in my nature and also something that I think is a good thing to always push boundaries.

Pranam
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 14 March 2017 at 11:33 AM.

Namaste AmeyAtma ji,

Thank you for the reply! It was nice to hear from you after a long time... was my pleasure.

Coming to the topic on hand, I totally understand what you are trying to say.... that paramatma is formless. It is all the lila of the paramatma that he manifests in various forms of himself.

You see, I'm offering here a 'theory', if unclear, I would like to recap the salient points:

i) First of all, this theory of mine is based on existing principles. I have formulated the theory that none of the following principles are violated:

a. Shiva and Vishnu are the same.
    b. Shiva and Vishnu are not the same. (For example, one of them takes 'Tulsi', the other 'Vilva'. They reside in their own unique worlds).
    c. One of them is considered 'anaadi', that is not having an origin. While the other (Vishnu/Vamana) is thought to be the son of Aditi and brother of 'Devendra'.
    d. There could be only 1 paramatma.
    e. Vishnu takes avataras but Shiva does not. Whereas Shiva is eternally seen as a yogi, smearing ashes and in penance.
    f. Many saints of either sect sang about their own lord but not the other.
    ... and possibly other principles like this.

So I am proposing a 'solution' that satisfies ALL of the above principles (does not violate any of them) -

a. To begin with, Shiva and Vishnu must have been part of the same parabrahman (the unmanifest being).
    b. Then at some point, Shiva and Vishnu split from the parabrahman and took their own unique routes.
    c. One of them took the 'human' route - that is took plethora of human births and elevated back to the supreme status again. The other remained unmanifest. (You can take either one of Shiva or Vishnu for either role, to satisfy sectarian views.)
    d. The one who remained the unmanifest serves the role of paramatma. But the other role is potentially no less trivial.
    e. To fill in their potential for taking/remaining within either mode (human/unmanifest), Shiva/Vishnu both do certain unique things - like Vishnu taking avataras and Shiva remaining yogic penance. (Shaivas can have equivalent views to replicate the theory from their part).
    f. This is because the saints thought the other lord is 'trivial' owing to having human origin.

... And so the explanation goes... You need to fit-in factor a to f above with relevant questions presented above them. It may take a little bit of time to understand what I'm talking about, although in a nutshell, all I am saying is that, I'm violating NONE of the existing principles. If we fit-in pieces this way, perhaps we will be less or totally not 'sectarian'.

Please let me know what you think.

Many sincere regards,

Viraja
    Last edited by Viraja; 14 March 2017 at 03:36 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

Taking a circular route then, if my understanding is correct, after factors a....f above, factor 'g' would be then that, Shiva + Vishnu still play the very same role of 'parabrahman' -- the formless principle, from which they 'emanated'.

Therefore, paramatma may not be the same as 'parabrahman'.

Hope I am clear.

Since my idea is not offending anyone, and yields itself to available principles (even sectarian ones), without negating any of them, I think learned members can 'give it a try' with more knowledge of theirs!

Thanks.

Markandeya ji,

Thank you so much for all your replies! Please keep spreading your knowledge... you sound too good to hear.

Thanks,

Viraja

Thread Information