Thread: A relatively new thought on Shiva/Vishnu tattwa

Hybrid View

A relatively new thought on Shiva/Vishnu tattwa

Namaste,

Shaivism and Vaishnavism both claim its own god as the 'supreme' (paramatma). While there are offshoots of Vaishnavism that view Lord Shiva as an expansion of Vishnu. And there may be variants of Shaivism that might view Vishnu to be an offspiring of or an expansion of Shiva.

If I am given the wonderful opportunity to express myself on this apparently controversial principles, I think that the supreme is in essence 'dual' (or even 'triple') in nature (when also including 'Brahma').

The 2 different natures of supreme might be i) that which is ever manifest, the omnipotent, the omniscient ii) that which 'arose' out of self-effort, out of a combined result of penance, sacrifice, and love. (The 3rd aspect may be iii) that which became worthy of praise due to deserving 'luck' even though being neither the un-manifest nor the one with the best effort - and I think Brahma, sitting on a Lotus might be this 3rd principle, as Lotus symbolizes eternity, purity, divinity, etc - the 'deserving qualities' ).

The reason thus, of why we may have the duality in Hinduism may be thus to teach us all that humans are a part and parcel of god and thus humans have the potential to raise up to the same level of god out of his efforts and can exist in nature, as 'another form of divine' with the same potential as the un-manifest in all ways. The idea that humans can be the same as god or act as god at various levels of spiritual ascension are confirmed in Hinduism from stories such as the 'Trishanku swarga', 'the eternal devas' and various other forms of divine. At the highest level, humans must be able to identify himself one with god, the un-manifest, in all ways, and becomes 'equal' to him and thus becomes, 'eternal'.

Thus, there may be 2 principles in divine to indicate the above idea. Who is who, might be flexible depending on one's wish, based on his affiliations. But the point to ponder, or the 'take home' message is that, both are equals and both are supreme principles.

PS: The above might be the reason why god supposedly takes 'avataras' as per Vaishnavism. That is, although equal in status and power, their capabilities might be different. Can be thought of as a doctor vs. the President of a company. Both are equals in status and power, but they both function 'uniquely', in their own ways. Therefore, for the un-manifest to earn the same potential of the manifest, he takes human births and realizes himself. On the other hand, Lord Shiva might be the un-manifest, but he is eternally a 'yogi' or in 'tapas' because he wants to realize himself as a manifest would do, that is, out of penance and self-sacrifice.

PS2: Kindly do not take to sides as a response to this message. This is to present a neutral view for stimulating the thought only. Also kindly be gentle in criticisms, as I really only shared this thought for presenting a novel view, not for any ulterior, bad motive.

Thank you,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: A relatively new thought on Shiva/Vishnu tattwa

Namaste...

Actually it's not such a new thought. If I get the gist of your post, you are referring to what I have in my signature... that Vishnu and Shiva are one and the same, flip sides of the same coin. Worship of them that way is not uncommon. Their conjoined, or combined form is Harihara or Shankarnarayana. In one of the niches around the sanctum of Sri Guruvayurappan at my temple is a murti of Harihara.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Harihara-Hindu-deity
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harihara

Here are a couple of images.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/49048/dsc01296_trek.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...sivakesava.JPG
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...1/Harihara.jpg
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I am devotee of RAM ji and Hanumanji. since childhood I used to think if I pray to RAM ji and hanuman ji, it's mean my prayers are going to both shiv ji and vishnu ji also. Automatically, I used to see them equal. Whenever I listen Om namah shivaye or narayan narayan(vishnu), my mind becomes calm with peace same as when I speak ram. it is said vishnu's avatar is rama and shiva's strongest rudra is hanuman. I also believe in un-manifest form. Some one of my relative around us asked my mother which god do you believe. My mom said I do ram ram daily and I feel happy. then my relative said to my mother there is further more supreme and upper level of god than ram. because my relatives are going to some guru. my mother informed me about this yesterday because me and my mother always do satsang(holy talks). I got little conflict how do any supreme god and upper level god , I never compared any god in my life and I respect every guru as my mother taught me, but I kept my faith and seeking for positve answers inside me, I knew answer will come in any form. I have been reading sunderkand for last one month. Then I thought, I do ram ram and sometimes I do "aum namah shivaye" according to my mood, I feel same, I feel no difference. Ram Ram is easy to come and narayana is little long but thing is same ram ram prayers are going to vishnu automatically. Now see, I read your post, two essence(or triple) are vishnu and shiva are same, very positive thought. un-manifested form which saves innocents that vishnu essence un-manifested form which destroy evil that shiva essence my main motive not to compare any god , just to thing positive(shud vichar). I am very happy to join this forum. jai hanuman gyan gun sagar.

Hi Jai,

No, I am not saying Shiva/Vishnu are the same. I think my OP was unclear.

I'm saying the following:

i) Out of Shiva and Vishnu, one is eternal, the un-manifest. The other one is of human origin, who became a most supreme deity out of penance, love and human effort. This is to show that humans are capable of being elevated to the same status of the divine and have the same power and potent eventually.

ii) That, although equals eventually, Shiva/Vishnu are still 'different' from each other fundamentally. To fill the gap, they both strive to acquire the capabilities of the other. Vishnu does this through taking human avataras, Shiva strives to do it through his eternal tapas.

iii) Who is the unmanifest and who is the human turned supreme deity, is dependent on one's inclination or affinity. What matters is that, eventually there is no difference between the two, with regards to their potential.

Sorry, I repeat here, I do not mean to post my uneducated views in the powerful and well-read HDF medium. I know that posting from scriptures is the standard here.

But when I thought of various factors involving Shiva/Vishnu tattwa, the above thoughts came to me and wanted very strongly to share these with someone who could perhaps point me to further study along these lines.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Hi Viraja...

Ok, I see. That's why I hedged and said "If I get the gist...", which apparently I didn't.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

To reduce the supreme to ~entities~ (e.g. 'different from each other' suggests two and this seems unreasonable to me) is missing the point that is apparent in their names:
    • viṣṇu = all pervading
    • śiva = in whom all things lie

If the principle of all pervading does not include ‘in whom all things lie’ and , if in whom all things lie is not ‘all pervading’ then these terms are of little use to us.

When we think of these things surely we wish not to be narrow minded , so we wish to be broad in our thoughts; yet our reasoning must be under the guidance of śruti. Why so? because we still see the rope as a snake. That is, independent reasoning ( on these matters) that is unguided quickly becomes speculation. Why then walk down a dark hall when one can carry a light?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

To reduce the supreme to ~entities~ (e.g. 'different from each other' suggests two and this seems unreasonable to me) is missing the point that is apparent in their names:
    • viṣṇu = all pervading
    • śiva = in whom all things lie

If the principle of all pervading does not include ‘in whom all things lie’ and , if in whom all things lie is not ‘all pervading’ then these terms are of little use to us.

When we think of these things surely we wish not to be narrow minded , so we wish to be broad in our thoughts; yet our reasoning must be under the guidance of śruti. Why so? because we still see the rope as a snake. That is, independent reasoning ( on these matters) that is unguided quickly becomes speculation. Why then walk down a dark hall when one can carry a light?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

Namaste Yajvan

Wonderful explanation. I wish to say the same thing but from a different point of view. My view is how can be two supreme. The moment we say two supreme, does it not defeat Aatma-Paramaatma concept. Even if we consider Aatma as the reflections of Paramaatma just like we see the reflections of moon at various places, there can not be two power houses, is in it?

I have my objections ONLY on the snake rope example. A rope assumed or mistaken as a snake is valid as long as the circumstances that created that assumption are valid. Validity of the circumstances are time based. Can I stop eating because this body is bound to perish?

I don't wish to argue further because of two reasons. 1. I agree with your point of view, so it is meaningless to argue on the example being used to convey the point. 2. Rope-Snake mystery is not solved by anyone in a way acceptable to both perspective.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 10 March 2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information