Thread: Book recommendation?

Book recommendation?

Namasté, all. I'm writing with a difficulty for which I'm seeking remedy.

I recently enrolled in the Jyotish correspondence course offered by the American Institute of Vedic Studies. I've completed two prior Institute classes without difficulty and anticipated no trouble with these lessons, since the course required no prior training. However, the course materials so far do seem to assume a pre-existing familiarity with astrology. (To give one example, words like "ascendant" and "opposition" are used before they have been formally defined.) Because I have very little knowledge of Jyotish, I am struggling to move forward with my lessons and hope to gain some clarity in these matters.

Could anyone recommend a simple English-language book that introduces and explains Jyotish concepts?
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Re: Book recommendation?

You can try the two primers (~600 pages PDFs) that I have written on Jyotish and on dashas (timing) which are available for downloading for free. Since this is going to be your third course as mentioned by you, you should not have any difficulty in following jyotish/astrology.

Let me know later how are things with your learning if you wish.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    You can try the two primers (~600 pages PDFs) that I have written on Jyotish and on dashas (timing) which are available for downloading for free. Since this is going to be your third course as mentioned by you, you should not have any difficulty in following jyotish/astrology.

Let me know later how are things with your learning if you wish.
    Namaste Rohiniranjan

Please provide download link

Pranam
    Anirudh...

please search with keyword 'rohiniranjan'
    scribd.com

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    please search with keyword 'rohiniranjan'
    scribd.com
    Namaste

Thank you very much! Busy with work hence delay in reply.

Pranam
    Anirudh...

Namasté, and thank you kindly, Rohiniranjan. I finish exams in a few weeks and greatly look forward to reading your primers, once the school obligations have concluded.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuni View Post
    Namasté, and thank you kindly, Rohiniranjan. I finish exams in a few weeks and greatly look forward to reading your primers, once the school obligations have concluded.
    Wishing you success with your education! Read an interesting short book by Rajneesh Osho on astrology in which he talks about essential vs semi-essential vs non-essential astrology. Example of the latter are seen in bushels in astro forums which focus on readings such as marriage, job, love-life, IAS and other chances in competitive exams. ;-)

Thread Information