Thread: How did you memorise and learn jyotish?

1. How did you memorise and learn jyotish?

I'm new to jyotish, and I am faced with a difficult task indeed, how did you guys learn (memorise) and study when you were new to it?

I know there's different techniques for memorising things, and learning, so I wondered if anyone here used anything and for what parts of jyotish?

Any tips welcomed.

Re: How did you memorise and learn jyotish?

Quote Originally Posted by nikolai_tds View Post
    I'm new to jyotish, and I am faced with a difficult task indeed, how did you guys learn (memorise) and study when you were new to it?

I know there's different techniques for memorising things, and learning, so I wondered if anyone here used anything and for what parts of jyotish?

Any tips welcomed.

My personally chosen method was arduous but time was on my side. When I learned astrology in the '60s there were far fewer distractions, no internet, no plethora of confusing and conflicting information, and perhaps more patience and passion to learn without any feeling of entitlement! ;-) So, I followed a practical approach and tried to find charts illustrating a principle and this gelled the technique better in my mind than just relying on 'he says, she claims'. So, a healthy mixture of scepticism and firm belief in there being value in jyotish which despite so many xeno-ethnic attacks and rulers from abroad that India survived through centuries, the body of knowledge survived. Of course some jyotishis of high scholarship and virtue were instrumental in preserving the craft of jyotish.

Of course, this may not work for others who are of a more devotional nature and might have other approaches that worked for them.

Namasté

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Thread Information