Thread: Great Hindu Temples?

Great Hindu Temples?

I just finished doing a post in the Buddhist section about great places of practice like Ajahn Chah monasteries, Sayadaw U Pandita's Panditãrãma Center, Venerable Pa-Auk's Forest Monastery in Theravada lineage and places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery and Antai-ji Buddhist Temple in Mahayana.

I was wondering what are some places of great reputation and intensive practice in Hinduism!

Can't wait to learn from all of you and your wisdom.

Re: Great Hindu Temples?

Vannakkan Cedar Tree.

There are so many, it's hard to pinpoint, without some bias. At the temple I go to regularly, we get people from every state in India, and almost without exception, if asked this question, that will mention temples from their home state. So everyone has bias. Personally, I'm biased to the temples of Tamil Nadu, but that is not to say they are the greatest. one person's opinion doesn't count for much. Similarly people tend to have bias towards their sect or school.

India has at least a million temples.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind, I think that's a very honest and true answer so I gave some reputation points

I was more wondering if there are some that really stand above for everyone. In Theravada though there may be many many temples and many localities Ajahn Chah stands high up in everyones view.

Same with Zen places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery and Antaiji.

Namaste

Hindu Temples is a misleading subject.

Temples are Karma Kanda - rituals, but what monasteries teach is Jnana Kanda - wisdom.

Thus the subject should be Hindu Ashrams.

I was wondering what are some places of great reputation and intensive practice in Hinduism!

That’s the problem - Hinduism is always reduced to temples. In Europe nearly everybody knows Buddha but very few heared about Shankaracharya, even people ‚doing‘ Yoga do not know who Patanjali is. Not to mention the other great souls and scriptures!

Hinduism has no reputable and respectable representative for wisdom in contrast to Buddhism.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Temples are Karma Kanda - rituals, but what monasteries teach is Jnana Kanda - wisdom.

That’s the problem - Hinduism is always reduced to temples. In Europe nearly everybody knows Buddha but very few heared about Shankaracharya, even people ‚doing‘ Yoga do not know who Patanjali is. Not to mention the other great souls and scriptures!

Hinduism has no reputable and respectable representative for wisdom in contrast to Buddhism.

Pranam
    Thank you for sharing I will try and check that out sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Pranam
    Thank you for the clarification That is very good to know that important distinction.

Thread Information