Thread: Should I keep my Lingam stone, or do away with it?

Should I keep my Lingam stone, or do away with it?

I need some perspectives here concerning keeping, or not, my Narmad Lingam.
    I keep it currently, at home, in the northeast corner of my house. I have a roomate, and she is not vegetarian, etc. I work at a pizza place, so I am handling meats all day long. So often, Pradosham Occurs ( 2 -3 hour period for Shiva devotion) and I cannot make it home to perform Abhikesham at that time. So my lingam just sits there at home during a crucial period.

But I ponder, even If I cannot use the lingam at the right time, would there be benefeit to getting rid of it, and only accessing Shiva through chants, mantras, music etc? Or, would it be best to be rid of the stone? I ponder this question greatly. It bothers me knowing that I can't always be home for Pradosham, and it also bothers me knowing that I drink alchohol occassionally, as well as do normally sinful things now and then, so I really do not want to be inviting Shiva's anger.

But I really do not eat meat currently, so that's a plus. Do you think I should start asking off work on Pradosh days (pizza places are busy evenings) so I can devote myself? Really that would be two days a month. I know that my roommate and I are not "together" or anything, but I can't help but feel that Shiva's anger would be activated for meats being eaten under my "roof". As in, whatever activites take place within the household wherein the lingam stone resides.

Any perspectives / input appreciated, thanks much.
    Hari Om

Re: Should I keep my Lingam stone, or do away with it?

Vannakkam:

Firstly, I have to say that with my personal understanding of Siva, He would never get angry. But of course understandings vary. The though of an angry God conjures up non-dharmic religions to me, and I couldn't worship a God who gets angry.

Generally astrological times lie pradosha are indicators that the energies are stronger, but not unmanageable. I consider it more like the wind blowing faster at that time, not something that's scarier, or has 'must do' things about it.

Personally, I would have no problem keeping a narmada in the house. It's not like you're a well trained agamic priest who might know ways to really 'activate' it.

So as long as you don't do really long pujas, I would think you're okay. I personally wouldn't do Siva puja if there was meat in the house. Fortunately there isn't here. Still, lots of people most likely do, with no harmful effects.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by sinning. Again, that's mostly an Abrahamic concept, not particularly Hindu.

Best wishes on deciding.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Should I keep my Lingam stone, or do away with it?

Namaste

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by sinning. Again, that's mostly an Abrahamic concept, not particularly Hindu.

Exactly true!

Unfortunately English translations always use the words sin and sinner. In Abrahamic tradition God is a policeman. Osho says this is a vilification of God.

Thus forget about sin and sinner and trust in Shiva’s benevolence, Dakkaeo.

He loves you as you are and will guide you on your way.

Read about Kannappa Nayanar here
    http://storibuzz.in/the-story-of-kannappa-nayanar

Pranam
    Last edited by Indialover; 08 July 2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Add link Kannappa Nayanar
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Thread Information