Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panchakshara with or without OM?

Panchakshara with or without OM?

Namaste all,

What is the difference between Japa of "Namasivaya" and "Om Namasivaya" ? I read that Shaiva Naayanmaars - all of them mention only "Namasivaya" in their pathigams/compositions (or "Sivayanama") . I have not read any of them mention " Om Namasivaya" or "Om Sivayanama" in their Pathigams. They seem to stress only 5 Letters (excluding OM).

But all books in Sanskrit - Puranas etc seem to mention only "Om Namasivaya".

Can anyone throw more light on this,focusing on

What a seeker should chant?

Thanks to all ! Best wishes for all in their Sadhana!

Re: Panchakshara with or without OM?

Vannakkam: In my limited understanding, putting 'Aum' in front of a mantra is like giving that mantra praise. So Aum Namasivaya is more like saying, "I praise the mantra namasivaya, whereas namasivaya standing alone means the mantra itself. Sometimes people will write it Na Ma Si Va Ya as well to highlight the fact it's really the 5 syllable mantra it is. Hope that helps.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: In my limited understanding, putting 'Aum' in front of a mantra is like giving that mantra praise. So Aum Namasivaya is more like saying, "I praise the mantra namasivaya, whereas namasivaya standing alone means the mantra itself. Sometimes people will write it Na Ma Si Va Ya as well to highlight the fact it's really the 5 syllable mantra it is. Hope that helps.
    IMO, it is a little more than that, EM ! "AUM" is the AnAhat (unstruck primordial) sound which is Brahman. All forms of God and the whole creation too are just manifestation of Brahman. That is why we first invoke the Sole Reality which is Infinite, omnipotent and without a second and which takes the form and name we wish to worship with devotion with the sound "OM" or "AUM". Namah Shivaaya means "I bow to (Lord) Shiva".

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste EM,

IMO, it is a little more than that, EM ! "AUM" is the AnAhat (unstruck primordial) sound which is Brahman. All forms of God and the whole creation too are just manifestation of Brahman. That is why we first invoke the Sole Reality which is Infinite, omnipotent and without a second and which takes the form and name we wish to worship with devotion with the sound "OM" or "AUM". Namah Shivaaya means "I bow to (Lord) Shiva".

OM
    +1

Pranam.

Vannakkam, Yes Aum is the primordial sound. I was just attempting to answer the OP's question, not start a debate. I've heard it done both ways, with and without Aum, although it's rare that you actually hear a person doing japa, as it's a private matter. So the 'correct' way is the way you were initiated. Even in songs of praise (bhajans) you hear it both ways.

To further answer the OP's question, perhaps there are differences in in Southern style versus northern. You are certainly correct int he observation that the Tamil Nayanars spoke of just 5 syllables without Aum.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    IMHO, technically it should be Namah Sivaya because that then would be panchakshra (five syllable) mantra. When we add Om it becomes six syllables. That said adding Om to siva's mantra; I doubt he will mind. I knew we talked about this before... a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...akshara-Mantra
    satay

I thank all who have replied. It was very informative.

@Satay, I read the thread on Panchakshara Mantra. It was superb. Though,it still, does not answer explicitly whether to add OM or not. The last question in the thread is still unanswered.. As @easternmind says, the correct way is the way one is initiated.

It's a noteworthy fact that Thiru Jnana Sambandhar , at both moments of His life - really Momentous moments - His YajnopavIta ceremony & His last moment before quitting His body,

He stresses on 5 Letters only. Shaiva Naayanmaars hold the supreme secret of 5 Letters. Also Tamil Siddhas.

Thank all !!

Post deleted as it s considered off the topic by OP.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 17 July 2017 at 08:24 PM.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

Hope OP doesn't consider this as off the topic. I have come across several discussion on
    "Five versus Eight"

This link will help the seeker to see how Aum is comprehended.

http://ramanuja.wikifoundry-mobile.c...hirumanthra%29

Thanks for your reply, but it is off-topic.

Namaste,
    My understanding from that thread was that it was ok to add OM.
    satay

Thread Information