Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panchakshara with or without OM?

Re: Panchakshara with or without OM?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Consider looking to the results of using pañcamī (5th) or ṣaṣthī (6th) akṣarā ; does it bring about turīya ( the 4th) ?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. akṣarā - imperishable ; a sound; another name of
    śiva; here it is used as a syllable.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Consider looking to the results of using pañcamī (5th) or ṣaṣthī (6th) akṣarā ; does it bring about turīya ( the 4th) ?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. akṣarā - imperishable ; a sound; another name of
    śiva; here it is used as a syllable.

Hara Hara !!

The opening of my consciousness to higher planes happens with 5 Letters only - without OM. Breath joins with Mantra ,for me, only if i stick to 5 Letters without OM. Shuddha Panchakshara(without OM) has worked wonders (and is working) for me, even on the physical level.

But i read in all Sanskrit books that Panchakshara is to be repeated with Pranava only. I wondered. Hence i started this thread hoping to get more light from advanced SAdhaks.

@yajvan, I quite did not undertand your Statement. Pls explain.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    My understanding from that thread was that it was ok to add OM.
    Of course Sir!! It is ok to add OM to any Mantra as Pranava provides Veerya to that Mantra. All people chant Panchakshara with Pranava(6 Letters). Somehow, i am comfortable with 5. (Maybe because Panchakshara itself Is Pranava). Thats why i wanted to know opinion and experience of people here. Thanks for replying. Pls also see my reply to @yajvan.

Hara Hara!!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by occult.geek View Post
    yajvan, I quite did not understand your Statement. Pls explain.

The intent of my post (#11 above) is this: using ( as a vehicle) the 5 syllable (akṣarā ) mantra or the 6 syllable mantra , which ever one brings antarmukha bhāva ( or that introverted condition or state) is the one that will bear more fruit for the aspirant.

But what is found there ( in this introverted condition) ?
    nirvikalpa, meaning not admitting an alternative , free from change or differences. Some say this is the entrance into turīya , the 4th. What 4th ? It is the next condition after wake, dream and sleep - the 4th then is this turīya which has the nature of nirvikalpa.

This is what we wish to groom... becoming established in the 4th. Now I do the reader a dis-service by suggesting the 'establishment' of the 4th. This is just a term to express an idea. This 4th is there all the time -
    yet it does not announce itself. It is through one's practice that the awareness is groomed to re-member to re-acquaint itself to itself to this most pure condition. Some call restful alertness, other undirected awareness, others pure consciousness. These are the terms for the 4th ( turīya).

There's many-many posts here on HDF on inward facing,
    turīya and the like. You may want to look around a bit and see if the additional information is of any use. I will append this post with a few that I think may have merit once I find them again.

Now, a reasonable question... is this turīya then the end point, the culmination of one's practice? We are told ( and can experience ourselves) that this 4th begins the perfect foundation for expansion of awareness back to one's core nature that is then experienced continually, without break or pause. We are not gaining ( as if it is a transaction done at a store) but we are unfolding once again our own nature.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

Last edited by yajvan; 19 July 2017 at 06:45 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

The intent of my post (#11 above) is this: using ( as a vehicle) the 5 syllable (akṣarā ) mantra or the 6 syllable mantra , which ever one brings antarmukha bhāva ( or that introverted condition or state) is the one that will bear more fruit for the aspirant.

But what is found there ( in this introverted condition) ?
    nirvikalpa, meaning not admitting an alternative , free from change or differences. Some say this is the entrance into turīya , the 4th. What 4th ? It is the next condition after wake, dream and sleep - the 4th then is this turīya which has the nature of nirvikalpa.

This is what we wish to groom... becoming established in the 4th. Now I do the reader a dis-service by suggesting the 'establishment' of the 4th. This is just a term to express an idea. This 4th is there all the time -
    yet it does not announce itself. It is through one's practice that the awareness is groomed to re-member to re-acquaint itself to itself to this most pure condition. Some call restful alertness, other undirected awareness, others pure consciousness. These are the terms for the 4th ( turīya).

There's many-many posts here on HDF on inward facing,
    turīya and the like. You may want to look around a bit and see if the additional information is of any use. I will append this post with a few that I think may have merit once I find them again.

Now, a reasonable question... is this turīya then the end point, the culmination of one's practice? We are told ( and can experience ourselves) that this 4th begins the perfect foundation for expansion of awareness back to one's core nature that is then experienced continually, without break or pause. We are not gaining ( as if it is a transaction done at a store) but we are unfolding once again our own nature.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

Brilliant. It is clear to me. It is very clear. Thank you !

I also thank all the people who replied to my post!!

Hara Hara!!

Namaste

Just found this verse in Tirumantiram

2699: Fifty Letters Became Fifty-One
    With the letter “A” intoned in commencement,
    With letter “U” intoned high with letter “A”,
    And with letter “M”, it (A&U&M as AUM) ended;
    And again with letter “N” rising,
    It became Nandi’s name “Aum Nama Sivaya.”

May be it is of interest. More verses regarding Panchakshara are to be found here.

https://saisatcharitraparayana.wordp...-2717-of-3047/

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Hello, I've heard some pronounce it "om namah shivay".
    If it is pronounced without the final "a" then you have panchakshara with "om" included. It would be "om-na-mah-shi-vay".
    At least in the bhakti sagar Shiv Mahapuran serial that I've recently watched, panchakshara mantra is always pronounced "om namah shivay".

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ale View Post
    Hello, I've heard some pronounce it "om namah shivay".
    If it is pronounced without the final "a" then you have panchakshara with "om" included. It would be "om-na-mah-shi-vay".
    At least in the bhakti sagar Shiv Mahapuran serial that I've recently watched, panchakshara mantra is always pronounced "om namah shivay".

Be mindful that śivāya is in the dative case within grammar usage, which means ‘to’ or ‘for the sake of’. And namaḥ is considered the nominative case that started from namas1. The rules of grammar inform us that the ‘s’ is changed to ‘ḥ’ ( called visarga) .

The ‘ya’ at the end of śivāya is a secondary suffix (called taddhita pratyaya) and is used here. Hence namaḥ śivāya is perfectly constructed...

Now my question,
    "om-na-mah-shi-vay".
    How would one pronounce 'vay' ? The semi-vowel 'y' ? How is to pronounced without an 'a' ( ya) or an e ( ye ) or an i ( yi) ? Think of your mouth position for the sound 'va'. Now try and go to the sound 'y' or even 'ya'. This is a task for the mouth & lips. So perhaps 'vay' could be 'vai', then we stand a chance of doing it with one syllable ( that is my point by the way).
    Yet if this holds true then what declination is being formed? Hence the actual question I am posing.

Yet let's just look at the term ‘śive’ . It forms the locative case of ‘śiva’ . The locative case is used for location i.e. ‘in’, ‘on’, ‘at’. Hence the ‘ve’ sound is a close proximity to ‘vi’. If you ‘buy’ that this makes sense, then saying namaḥ śive does not make sense e.g. I bow on śivaḥ? I bow in śivaḥ ?

The term ‘śive’ works well with an idea such as śive sarvaṁ vartate , or everything exists in śivaḥ

..these are my thoughts only, others may vary.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. namas = bow , obeisance , reverential salutation , adoration . You will not find namaḥ in the Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary as a main entry, as the ‘ḥ’ is used to ~decline~ the term. What is that? It is the inflection of nouns, adjectives, pronouns and numerals. We find (usually) the raw or un-declined term (or prātipadika) in the dictionary.
    · prātipadika - express , explicit; the crude form or base of a noun , a noun in its uninflected state.

Last edited by yajvan; 27 August 2017 at 09:16 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hi, yajvan ji.

Yes, I mean "shi-vai". Sorry, as a native spanish speaker I'm not fully aware of semi-vowel as there is no such rule in my mother tounge.

Thread Information