Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flag

mikehk2007 asked: “How can two diametrically opposite paths can lead to the same destiny?”

Sudarshan insisted: “There is exactly one way … there aren’t multiple ways.”

Sharabhanga explained: “Every spoke of a wheel leads directly to the one hub, even though it appears that some of them point in completely opposite directions.”

Sudarshan doubted the relevance of the wheel analogy: “I am not sure analogies actually help to describe how to access the summit of truth. The spoke/wheel example may be incorrect. These analogies are all based on speculations.”

And after I pointed to the Indian flag, Sudarshan continued to doubt the ancient (and continuing) importance of the Dharmacakra in Sanatana Dharma: “What has it to do directly with Hinduism? It is Ashoka Chakra, which is related to King Ashoka, who was a Buddhist. It is one of those things borrowed from Buddhism.”

So I continued to stress the importance of understanding the Dharmacakra, which is the ancient sign of the Sauras ~ the sign of Surya, and the Vedic ideal of Brahman ~ the symbol of Time (both Kala and Akala) ~ the weapon (power or Shakti) of Mahakala ~ the very form of Lord Krishna ~ the veritable instruction of Arjuna by Krishna ~ Shri Krishna, and Krishna IS the very Sudarshana cakra of Vishnu. The flag of India celebrates Sanatana Dharma and Lord Krishna. The Dharmacakra is integral to Trayi Vidya, and the Dharmacakra is the essential emblem of all Vedic Aryan Dharma (i.e. true Sanatana Dharma). The acceptance of internal diversity in the context of Sanatana Dharma is an important lesson of the Dharmacakra, and that is one of the essential themes of Ashoka Maurya’s unifying message.

And finally, Ram entered the discussion with the comment that the flag’s Cakra was originally a “Carka”.

With the understanding that both Hindi and Sanskrit clearly distinguish k and kh as two separate varnas (shades of sound, and thus shades of meaning), I immediately perceived that you were repeating an old (and quite clever) dig at the “deception” or “fraud” (i.e. Carka) of Gandhiji’s Carkha. And in the context of this discussion, I also assumed that you were implying the idea of fraud (or even leprosy) to the sacred Dharmacakra.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga

With the understanding that both Hindi and Sanskrit clearly distinguish k and kh as two separate varnas (shades of sound, and thus shades of meaning), I immediately perceived that you were repeating an old (and quite clever) dig at the “deception” or “fraud” (i.e. Carka) of Gandhiji’s Carkha. And in the context of this discussion, I also assumed that you were implying the idea of fraud (or even leprosy) to the sacred Dharmacakra.
    Oh, ok! I dont know much Hindi, so I am not sure I would understand the difference either. So let us forget this.

Gandhiji's charka was always questioned as a hypocrisy and as an appeasement of the masses. I am not a big fan of Gandhi, though I think he is a much more respectable personality compared by modern standards. I do think he was a hypocrite, because he asked Hindus to turn the other cheek in the face of Islamic aggression, while he never ever condemned the act of muslims.(instead supported or defended them even for their violent actions, for example the Moplah rebellion). A Hindu should never bow to aggression , that is what I like about Satay In that respect I can never agree with Gandhi, who chose to have a shot at Christianity but had a severe weakness with respect to Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    The spinning wheel is a carkha or carkhI; and this Hindi term is a variation on the original Sanskrit cakra.

carka is Hindi for leprosy, fraud, or swindle.

Perhaps Ram has innocently dropped the ‘h’ from Carkha ~ in which case I must apologize.

In the context of the historical development of the modern Indian flag, it is true that the image was originally a Carkha; although it is flippant to suggest that the Indian Cakra concept is merely a later variation on the Gandhian Carkha ideal.
    By your logic , if i wrote cat your would read it as Chat. but still i would read it as KAT. that is the confusion. I think sarabhanga is submerged in using ca as cha so he was easily offended.

In Devanagari, ka and kha are distinct varnas or akshas; and likewise, ca and cha are clearly distinguished.

English is not consistent in its pronunciation of ca; and in English kha and cha are rarely (if ever) used.

If ca is written as cha, then cha must be written as chha, which is unnecessary because in Devanagari ca cannot be confused with ka anyway (as it is in English).

Thread Information