Thread: A hello and a question

A hello and a question

Hi all,

my name is Simon. I joined the site in the hope of getting an answer to a question, but before I ask, it seems only polite to explain myself.

I deal in watches and "smalls" - interesting antique items and jewellery. In reality, I'm much more of a collector than a dealer. Last week, another dealer came into possession of an item that we couldn't properly identify. It certainly seems to be a religious item and my educated guess is that it's Hindu in origin.

Let me be clear, this item is not for sale; I am not asking for a valuation; nor, do I intend any offense.

The item is a cylidrical box with a heavily embossed indian silver top and plain brass body. There is a glass "window" in the top through which you can see a small icon that I believe is Shashthi and may be ivory (we have not tested it). The rest of the box is filled with what seems to be a shawl or pashmina, made from silk and certainly has some age. The box has an embroidered canvas bag with strap that fastens with a button and loop.

I would place the bag to the mid 20th century based on the condition of the canvas and embroidery, but it could be as early as late 19th. The box is almost impossible for me to date. The top is silver but probably made from melt coins and has no visible maker's or date mark (as you would expect with indian silver). It could have been made 10 years ago or more than 300 years ago. There's no way to be sure.

The origin of the piece is not known.

If need be, I can post photos in the near future but I don't have any to hand and nor do I have the item at hand to photograph.

My first concern is that this might be a holy item that should be returned to a temple. Secondly, I would love to be able to identify the item.

Does my description ring any bells with the members here? Can anyone help me identify it?

Thanks for reading.

Re: A hello and a question

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté & hello JimmyD

A photo would be quite helpful.... and if there is any inscription in the silver or any other part of this item please be sure to get a clear shot so it can be read.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information