Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditating with Krishna?

Meditating with Krishna?

I'm just curious about how meditation fits with Krishna? What is the purpose of meditating for Krishna? I understand it helps strengthen mind but what exactly is the goal?

Re: Meditating with Krishna?

Namaste!

Although I come from an American Buddhist perspective (Influenced by places and traditions like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery & Thai Forest Theravada - Ajahn Chah lineage)

There is a saying in Zen and sometimes greater Buddhist circles (That in meditation one starts to let "Life live through you").

I think in the process of "Meditating with Krishna" you will begin to understand the nature of identity more, probe into fundamental subjects like the nature of awareness, Self/Not Self, and Compassion and End of Suffering may blossom from liberating insight.

Hope your meditation goes well!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Within the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā1 kṛṣṇaḥ-jī informs us of the following:

ahamātmā guḍākeśa sarvabhūtāśayasthitaḥ |
    aham ādiśca madhyaṃ ca bhūtānāmanta eva ca
    I am the Self (ātmā, soul, pure Being) O’guḍākeśa!2 of all beings (bhūta3), seated (sthitaḥ4) within (āśaya). I am the beginning, middle and end of all beings.

Now why mention this? Due to this:
    I'm just curious about how meditation fits with Krishna? What is the purpose of meditating for Krishna?

Net:net - you cannot meditate 'for him' nor can you meditate or exist beyond him (kṛṣṇaḥ-jī). How so? He is your very being. Try to exist without your own Self. What would you be? You see the core of 'you' is Being, and that is Self;per verse 10.20 kṛṣṇaḥ-jī is that very Self ( there is no two).
    What then is your responsibility ( say the wise) ?
    know thy Self and one automatically comes to know the Lord.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. gītā = song or a song; if written as gīta ( no long ā) that = singing. Hence the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā is the song of the lord.
    2. guḍākeśa - this is another name for arjuna.
    3. bhūta – beings; this is not limit to human beings only. In fact bhūta (being) is also defined as pure, mixed or joined. It also defined as ‘that which is or exists’.
    4. sthitaḥ = I used seated; it also means residing, resting or abiding
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Within the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā1 kṛṣṇaḥ-jī informs us of the following:

I am the Self (ātmā, soul, pure Being) O’guḍākeśa!2 of all beings (bhūta3), seated (sthitaḥ4) within (āśaya). I am the beginning, middle and end of all beings.

Now why mention this? Due to this:
    Net:net - you cannot meditate 'for him' nor can you meditate or exist beyond him (kṛṣṇaḥ-jī). How so? He is your very being. Try to exist without your own Self. What would you be? You see the core of 'you' is Being, and that is Self;per verse 10.20 kṛṣṇaḥ-jī is that very Self ( there is no two).
    What then is your responsibility ( say the wise) ?
    know thy Self and one automatically comes to know the Lord.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. gītā = song or a song; if written as gīta ( no long ā) that = singing. Hence the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā is the song of the lord.
    2. guḍākeśa - this is another name for arjuna.
    3. bhūta – beings; this is not limit to human beings only. In fact bhūta (being) is also defined as pure, mixed or joined. It also defined as ‘that which is or exists’.
    4. sthitaḥ = I used seated; it also means residing, resting or abiding
    So what am I meditating about? What am I trying to accomplish? Just a blank mind? Knowledge of self? what?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    So what am I meditating about? What am I trying to accomplish? Just a blank mind? Knowledge of self? what?
    I am not absolutely certain I comprehend your question... let me ask this: At some point you began some program, some upāyaḥ1 ( method, technique) to reach some aim ( upeya2) ; what do you believe it was? What do you believe you are looking for? Let's start there.

Now, why do I mention this? It is based upon your post in another folder:
    I'm first and foremost Buddhist.. Buddhism puts everything into perspective for me. I work with Hindu Gods/Goddesses doing pujas and such.. And I rely on Christianity as well.. So I operate using 3 different religions and I have no problems about who I should be labeled as. The Divine will accept you as long as you are true to the Divine. So be true to the Divine and not worry about what label you should identify with.

Do you see my point ?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. upāyaḥ = ablative case ‘on the acct of’ the means or upāyaḥ , not upāyae which is ‘for the sake of’ the means
    2. upeya = the ‘aimed at’ the goal; therefore upeyaḥ vs for the sake of the goal upeyaḥ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

So you're saying that Meditation is seeking the Divine?

Namaste Cedar,

If I could use some of the teachings as I understand from Sri Aurobindo, he says that when one realizes Sri Krishna, then Krsna will act through you. He will become your speech, your movement and works within this life. This is the divine life, pure karma yoga or actions in this world when in Union with Krsna the Divine Self.

Ramana Maharshi said that surrendering, seeking that Self is Bhakti. So your not exactly trying to accomplish anything, we let go of the smaller self, ie our conditioned temporary identity in search of the higher Self, the same Self that resides equally within all things. Then by grace due to that sincere seeking that Self Sri Krishna the all attractive Divine Atma illunimates ones Being and takes over all functions and faculties of our existance. This is also known as entering into the Divine life.

Jai Sri Krsna

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    So you're saying that Meditation is seeking the Divine?
    Now you are on the right track....mankandeya 108 dasa offers some valid notions. It is the idea of getting 'you' out of the way. Once that is done the divine ( which is there to begin with) shines through. When differentiatedness ( all the 'me-ness' of limits) subsides, then undifferentiatedness ( wholeness of Being ) shines in all its brightness.

You see , we all express god consciousness, ...how could we not ? As mentioned before:

Yet this god consciousness is expressed ( in us ) in a limited way as a limited being. One's practice is to get the smallness out of the way.
    Just like this week with the lunar eclipse. It stepped in front of the sun...The sun's brilliance was ~seemingly~ blocked, yet it always was shining 100%. But from our vantage point it blocked the sun's rays. Some of the rays got though even with the blockage ( that is one's individuality ). Yet when the moon passes and the full rays return, we know they ( the rays) never left ( that is divinity in us, it never leaves)... So, like that we look to get out of the way ( moon) and let the wholeness of divinity ( Self) shine.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste,

How do we meditate on the Divine? Do we try to get rid of non-virtuous acts of mind? Cultivate Bhagavad Gita Chapter 16 Divine Spirit??

Namaste,

I'm sorry I'm just seeking for answers so my mind is straight..

Thread Information