Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meditating with Krishna?

Re: Meditating with Krishna?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

How do we meditate on the Divine? Do we try to get rid of non-virtuous acts of mind? Cultivate Bhagavad Gita Chapter 16 Divine Spirit??

Let’s see if I may offer some perspective... you see within sanātana dharma one size does not fit all. To suggest that I would know best for you is indeed arrogant on my part. The one that will know ‘perfectly’ what is right for you will be the helmsman (amala karṇadhārāḥ). Yet that said, this post may be of help. Consider the following post/string: http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...I-find-my-path

I also will add more posts that have occured on HDF ( if requested) with insights that could be of some use, yet may I suggest you look around a bit more here. There is a wealth of information.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Meditating with Krishna?

Namaste Tirisilex,

As yajvan ji has said look into things a bit more deeply yourself as there are certain problems to prescribe just one way, although all the sadhana's are interconnected or like streams that lead to the same river.

But this is not a haphazard style of practice.

If we're wanting to meditate on Sri Krsna as our Istahdeva or chosen form of meditation then there is no better place to start than Bhagavad Gita. Each chapter has a certain theme to the teachings. Within each chapter, even in one verse or sloka there are hidden codes that gives us a guidance into the sadhana or practice. This may take a while for the intellect to adjust to teachings of Bhagavad Gita.

Many people ask what Gita they should read, my advice is read a few, mostly the ones that have some credit, I myself use a few translations from swami Prabhupada to Adi Shankara and a few others, at some point all compliment each other, but again find your own balance and the ponder, contemplate and give things some time to bear fruit.

The essence of Gita is that one should turn ones attention towards Supreme with full confidence, something which in our present state is somewhat obscured or unkown, so patience, effort and detachment is needed.

One part of sadhana or practice is regulation of ones life and habits, this means gradually with awareness bringing one self to a life style of goodness - sattva. This according to Gita is regulation of bodily and mental activities. This in itself is a whole pool of knowledge and is the foundation.

In 6th chapter of Gita Sri Krsna explains the Yoga system. Learning this chapter will help create a base of understanding about meditation. One thing to understand though once meditation is understood and experienced is that meditation is something spontaneous, it will arise of its own accord when the conditions are suitable, we in this state are responsible for the conditions, to arrange the seat for meditation to arise. This is why the previous chapters before chapter 6 are also very important to learn digest and apply.

When learning the sanskrit in the verses - slokas what I have found useful is get as many English meanings as possible, something like a thesaurus rather than literal dictionary meaning, this boosts the faculty of contemplation and then within some part of the mind spiritual intellect -dhi starts to manifest.

While only talking in way that gives credit rather than instruction the early morning period is very good to study and practice. The earlier the better, but find your own balance and give yourself time to adjust.

Sradha, which has been translated as faith, also has other meanings such as conviction and confidence, but there is also another nice translation which is to turn ones attention towards, towards what, towards the Supreme.

From this then virya arises, virya means energy, when we turn our attention towards the Supreme then it gives energy. This is not a gross physical energy although if needed it can boost physical energy, it's more of a conscious energy to know and absorb more of that Supreme that one has turned ones attention towards and this will gradually cultivate natural states of meditation. When we gain these states then the mind can gradually understand more clearly a deeper not only the sadhana's but that Supreme Divine Sri Krsna.

Good luck hope this helps.

Jai Sri Krsna
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 27 August 2017 at 08:41 AM.

Thread Information